"Worth the Wait": Autoblog Covers Autoline Detroit Bob Lutz Interview & GMInsidenews

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Worth the Wait": Autoblog Covers Autoline Detroit Bob Lutz Interview & GMInsidenews

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

"Worth the Wait": Autoblog Covers Autoline Detroit Bob Lutz Interview & GMInsidenews

Thus spoke Bob: Lutz's interview on Autoline Detroit
    May 15th 2007
    by John Neff
    www.autoblog.com

Remember when we told you that Autoline Detroit would be posting its interview with Bob Lutz online? While it's finally hit the web, and we have to say it was worth the wait. We specifically were interested in hearing Lutz's response to a question posed by GMInsideNews member Ming, who wanted to know what Bob's reaction was to the lukewarm reception of the Buick Supers (LaCrosse and Lucerne) in the states compared to the puddles of drool that formed next to the rear-wheel-drive, Zeta-based Buick Park Avenue shown at the Shanghai Auto Show.

Lutz explains that the Buick Supers amount to an additional trim level and new powertrain in the case of the LaCrosse. They were brought out just to generate some interest in Buick's sedans, which are midway through their product cycle. Concerning the rear-wheel-drive, Zeta-based Park Avenue, Lutz is quick to point out that it's not the "Chinese Park Avenue", but rather should be referred to as the "Holden Park Avenue". Apparently about four-years back, the current front-wheel-drive Lucerne and what would become the "Holden Park Avenue" were shown to dealers in the U.S. The dealers insisted they didn't need both sedans in the showroom, and the FWD Lucerne got the nod. Lutz leaves the door open for the Park Avenue being sold here in the U.S., however, saying that it could be imported and sold as Buick's flagship, something which the brand has gone without for some time.

More Commentary & Replies HERE

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: "Worth the Wait": Autoblog Covers Autoline Detroit Bob Lutz Interview & GMInsidenews

If that happens lets hope GM bring the Australian made version, with some of the Chinese version's added luxuries. A Chinese built Buick flagship might not be well received by customers.
    "Our product lineup will take a backseat to no one" - B. Lutz, 2006.

Thanks

Re: "Worth the Wait": Autoblog Covers Autoline Detroit Bob Lutz Interview & GMInsiden

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPig
    If that happens lets hope GM bring the Australian made version, with some of the Chinese version's added luxuries. A Chinese built Buick flagship might not be well received by customers.
    I'm pretty sure that it would be built in either Australia or Canada.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jbartley's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: "Worth the Wait": Autoblog Covers Autoline Detroit Bob Lutz Interview & GMInsidenews

it wouldn't be assembled in china. it'd be too inefficient. those built in china are really just kits that were made in australia.

Thanks

I'm sure if we get a limited import run before an Oshawa-built model, it would come from Australia with the Chinese exterior styling and Caprice interior. Maybe we'd get the Chinese dash, maybe. GM will be challenged to get the content mix right.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

hopefully it wont matter that it shares some interior switchgear with the G8. One thing that puzzles me on the VE/WM line is why they put the window switches on the center console rather than on the door panels where people expect them to be.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 slowinthefastlane's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ming
    Concerning the rear-wheel-drive, Zeta-based Park Avenue, Lutz is quick to point out that it's not the "Chinese Park Avenue", but rather should be referred to as the "Holden Park Avenue". Apparently about four-years back, the current front-wheel-drive Lucerne and what would become the "Holden Park Avenue" were shown to dealers in the U.S. The dealers insisted they didn't need both sedans in the showroom, and the FWD Lucerne got the nod.
    I've said it once, and I'll say it again - GM's dealers are killing the company. So far, the Chevy, Cadilliac, Saturn, and Saab dealers have been decent to me and my wife. The Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealerships have been rather sleezy. But hey, if they want to continue to sell to the 65-and-older crowd, who am I to argue? I'm less than half the age of their average buyer and I would love a RWD Buick sedan.

They're going to destroy the launch of the G8 with their "market adjustments" - just as the destroyed the demand and product buzz for the Solstice and the GTO. The two Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealers by me are now sitting a bunch of GTOs and G6 Convertibles (which they had $3000 mark-ups on earlier this year).

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 FoMoCo Fan's Avatar
    Thanks

If the dealers were asked to make a choice between the Lucerne and the Park Avenue, they were asked to make the wrong choice. Buick has been a FWD only car division since about 88, with the exception of the short lived Roadmaster of the 1990's. The Park Avenue may be sized similar with the Lucerne, but it attacts a different type of buyer. Buick dealers are naturally risk averse, and it makes sense that they'd want to have something to sell those customers trading in those fwd LeSabers. GM is at fault for making it an either / or decision.

Thanks

As long as it is rear drive, I think it will be a hit. Rear drive rides so much better than a front drive unit.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

It is embarrassing listening to Hargrove. This guy does nothing for building compassion for Unions.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 NINETY_EIGHT_REGENCY's Avatar
    Thanks

They went on to say if it is built and sold in America, it would not be built in China. It would be built in Australia at the Holden plant. If they did that, I bet you anything Holden would get a version too. It would be positioned above Holden Caprice.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

If I was shown the 50-60K Holden Park Avenue alongside the 25-35K Lucerne without knowing anything mechanically about either car, the Lucerne would win big time. The Holden Park Ave is too bland looking and has very little Buick in it's profile, no port holes, no trim etc. The Lucerne could use some work too such as a more Buick like rear end and some softer touch interior dash plastics and a better steering wheel but for the money the Lucerne looks flashier than the bland Park Ave. If I was shown the interiors then it would be Park Ave easily as the winner. Trouble is, with gas prices way out of control, RWD only drive configuration and such an expensive price tag, I fear the Park Ave would sell at a snails pace. The Lucerne is hardly stunning but it has more appeal as an everyday mans entry level luxury car. I can see why the dealers all chose the Lucerne.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPig

Most everything that is made in China is not perceived very well by me. Disposable cheaply made junk comes to mind when I see the proverbial made in China sticker. It's got to the point where some of my purchases are made in the used market where I can expect some semblance of quality rather than buying the new made in China product that will be out to the curb in under a year.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49
    Most everything that is made in China is not perceived very well by me. Disposable cheaply made junk comes to mind when I see the proverbial made in China sticker. It's got to the point where some of my purchases are made in the used market where I can expect some semblance of quality rather than buying the new made in China product that will be out to the curb in under a year.
    That's the truth. The main problem is almost everything is being made in China now. Luckily you can still buy a lot of tools made in the USA. It's sad to see what is happening to our manufacturing capability.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Bornfromparents's Avatar
    Thanks

Autoblog: Bob Lutz interview on Autoline Detroit

Thus spoke Bob: Lutz's interview on Autoline Detroit

Posted May 15th 2007 4:31PM by John Neff
    Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, China, Buick, Cadillac, GM
    Remember when we told you that Autoline Detroit would be posting its interview with Bob Lutz online? While it's finally hit the web, and we have to say it was worth the wait. We specifically were interested in hearing Lutz's response to a question posed by GMInsideNews member Ming, who wanted to know what Bob's reaction was to the lukewarm reception of the Buick Supers (LaCrosse and Lucerne) in the states compared to the puddles of drool that formed next to the rear-wheel-drive, Zeta-based Buick Park Avenue shown at the Shanghai Auto Show.

Lutz explains that the Buick Supers amount to an additional trim level and new powertrain in the case of the LaCrosse. They were brought out just to generate some interest in Buick's sedans, which are midway through their product cycle. Concerning the rear-wheel-drive, Zeta-based Park Avenue, Lutz is quick to point out that it's not the "Chinese Park Avenue", but rather should be referred to as the "Holden Park Avenue". Apparently about four-years back, the current front-wheel-drive Lucerne and what would become the "Holden Park Avenue" were shown to dealers in the U.S. The dealers insisted they didn't need both sedans in the showroom, and the FWD Lucerne got the nod. Lutz leaves the door open for the Park Avenue being sold here in the U.S., however, saying that it could be imported and sold as Buick's flagship, something which the brand has gone without for some time.

Finally, Lutz also reveals that the SLS, or long-wheelbase Cadillac STS that will be sold in China is not coming to the U.S. Changes in side impact legislation have made it so that the SLS would need to be heavily reengineered to be sold in America, and there's not enough time left in the product cycle of the STS to cover the costs.

You can check out the complete interview by watching last week's episode of Autoline Detroit on the show's website. Some Mac owners, like myself, may have trouble viewing the video, and can listen to the interview by clicking here.

http://www.autoblog.com/

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information