Reporting Posts: A Guide - Page 3

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Reporting Posts: A Guide

  1. #31
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Dequindre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3,278
    Thanks
    4,192
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,058 Posts

    Re: Reporting Posts: A Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Can't help noticing that a lot of the issue seem to surround the politics thread, at least based on what's been focused on this thread. Maybe there was a good reason that GMI has mainly stayed away from allowing this kind of discussion in the past. Given that many of the topics discussed don't even seem to have anything to do with the auto industry -- and there are no shortage of places to discuss your political and religious views -- I'm not sure what it adds to the forum.
    Political threads do add to a forum, but they have to be moderated effectively to work.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Logged off
    Posts
    4,723
    Thanks
    1,348
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 635 Posts

    Re: Reporting Posts: A Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    Political threads do add to a forum, but they have to be moderated effectively to work.
    What do they add? If it was a forum about automotive related legislation and policies, I'd totally get it. Even the threads about urban planning are relevant. But how does replicating AM talk radio here add to the dialogue?

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tone For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (11-29-2019),2648562 (04-16-2015),AMERICA 123 (04-13-2015),chinamonty (04-13-2015),mikmak (04-12-2015)

  5. #33
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Dequindre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3,278
    Thanks
    4,192
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,058 Posts

    Re: Reporting Posts: A Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    What do they add? If it was a forum about automotive related legislation and policies, I'd totally get it. Even the threads about urban planning are relevant. But how does replicating AM talk radio here add to the dialogue?
    Political threads are a great place to talk about current events that effect our daily lives. It's also good for GMI. Members will spend more time on this site if they can talk politics AND cars.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  7. #34
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Logged off
    Posts
    4,723
    Thanks
    1,348
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 635 Posts

    Re: Reporting Posts: A Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    Political threads are a great place to talk about current events that effect our daily lives. It's also good for GMI. Members will spend more time on this site if they can talk politics AND cars.
    Ironically, I'm finding the opposite. Every time l do a new thread search and see a bunch of political threads, I mainly just move on. Anecdotally, there seems to be a correlation between the advent of the political threads and fewer and lower quality car threads. Perhaps one isn't causing the other, but I find myself spending less and less time here and finding breaking content on things I do care about (next Camaro, for one) elsewhere first. Mark's interview with the head of Cadillac was a nice recent surprise - hopefully we'll see more of that.

    And, don't get me wrong, I'm interested in policy and the politics that shape them. But, the few times I've checked out a political thread, I've been disappointed with the caliber of the discussion. If I wanted to hear American political party talking points shouted back and forth, there are a plenty of places to find that in the Internet!

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tone For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (11-29-2019),AMERICA 123 (04-13-2015),NoStopN (04-14-2015)

  9. #35
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Dequindre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3,278
    Thanks
    4,192
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,058 Posts

    Re: Reporting Posts: A Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Ironically, I'm finding the opposite. Every time l do a new thread search and see a bunch of political threads, I mainly just move on. Anecdotally, there seems to be a correlation between the advent of the political threads and fewer and lower quality car threads. Perhaps one isn't causing the other, but I find myself spending less and less time here and finding breaking content on things I do care about (next Camaro, for one) elsewhere first. Mark's interview with the head of Cadillac was a nice recent surprise - hopefully we'll see more of that.

    And, don't get me wrong, I'm interested in policy and the politics that shape them. But, the few times I've checked out a political thread, I've been disappointed with the caliber of the discussion. If I wanted to hear American political party talking points shouted back and forth, there are a plenty of places to find that in the Internet!
    I can see your point of view, but the auto show season is about over, so new automotive news becomes somewhat scarce. Candidates are also starting to announce their campaigns, so that creates more political threads.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

  10. #36
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC MarkStevenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    328
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 240 Times in 81 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost

    Re: Reporting Posts: A Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    I can see your point of view, but the auto show season is about over, so new automotive news becomes somewhat scarce. Candidates are also starting to announce their campaigns, so that creates more political threads.
    Agreed. We will probably see an up-tick in automotive topics once automakers start their media drives, probably within the next month or so.
    Managing Editor, Hidden Content

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkStevenson For This Useful Post:

    Dequindre (04-13-2015),Tone (04-12-2015)

  12. #37
    Chevrolet VOLT
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dandenong (Melbourne) Australia
    Posts
    10,265
    Thanks
    1,038
    Thanked 791 Times in 574 Posts
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

    Re: Reporting Posts: A Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    What do they add? If it was a forum about automotive related legislation and policies, I'd totally get it. Even the threads about urban planning are relevant. But how does replicating AM talk radio here add to the dialogue?
    I will add to that. People not in the US find it hard to believe that you start your election 19 months before the actual election (it is in Nov 2016 isn't it). I agree that politics on the forum should remain auto industry based.

  13. #38
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC MarkStevenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    328
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 240 Times in 81 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost

    Re: Reporting Posts: A Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    I will add to that. People not in the US find it hard to believe that you start your election 19 months before the actual election (it is in Nov 2016 isn't it). I agree that politics on the forum should remain auto industry based.
    This might become a thing.
    Managing Editor, Hidden Content

  14. #39
    Walking
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Reporting Posts: A Guide

    Ive got all the advice, thank you.

  15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2