Nsap Discusses GM RWD On AutoBird Podcast

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nsap Discusses GM RWD On AutoBird Podcast

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Listen below for details on GM's RWD programs and more industry news!
    www.gminsidenews.com
    February 23, 2010
    By: Nick Saporito

Last week I was asked by to make a guest appearance on the AutoBird Blog Podcast with Colin Bird and was happy to do so. The podcast originates on www.autobirdblog.com and is co-hosted by Joel Feder from www.acceleratempls.com. This week's theme was "What's in a name?" where we discussed everything from the future of the Mercury brand to Fritz Henderson's return to General Motors.

After introductions, Joel goes into discussing his experience driving the 638 HP Corvette ZR1 in Dallas, Texas last weekend. We then get into some of the recent news topics in the industry, the below:

• Honda and Ford gain retail market share from Toyota
    • Woman Gets $23.4M for a paralyzing crash in Ford Explorer
    • Former CEO Fritz Henderson now consults GM at $2,954 an hour
    • Mercedes-Benz F800 revealed

During the podcast's Talking Points, we go into the current state of GM's rear-wheel drive programs; including what is in store with Sigma, Alpha and Zeta. That includes the eventual demise of the Sigma platform, the history of Sigma and Zeta and the upcoming rear-wheel drive programs within GM.

Below you can listen to the podcast right here on GMI, or click the iTunes link to be taken to your iTunes account to listen! Check it out!!

Download this episode (right click and save)

Last edited by nsap; 02-23-2010 at 11:24 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Nsap Discusses GM RWD On AutoBird Podcast

Any thoughts about creating a GMI podcast or internet-based radio call in show?

A few of the sports forums use a number of online resources for this purpose and it provides a great venue for round table discussions, interviews and other features.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Any thoughts about creating a GMI podcast or internet-based radio call in show?

A few of the sports forums use a number of online resources for this purpose and it provides a great venue for round table discussions, interviews and other features.
    It's something that we have thought about. We actually asked members what they thought of the idea a few weeks ago here: https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ant-see-89123/

We often run into time constraints, but I think it's something that we would be willing to do if the demand is there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

The call in radio show could really be a hit.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    It's something that we have thought about. We actually asked members what they thought of the idea a few weeks ago here: https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ant-see-89123/

We often run into time constraints, but I think it's something that we would be willing to do if the demand is there.
    Based on my experience, I would go with an ad hoc schedule if you decide to experiment to gauge the response and resource demands.

Many of the online services are either free or nominal in cost and they not only provide streaming but also conference call capabilities as well.

Features like guest interviews, product announcements and rumours go over really well.

+1

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post

Heck even J-body.org had a online radio car show.
    I am a former employee of GM Moraine Assembly. Models that I built were on the GMT 330 and GMT 360 platform. I proudly worked from Sept 28th,1998 until my effective layoff date of Sept 29th, 2008. I am permantly terminated effective Nov, 5th via Buyout. I will miss working at GM and had a great life experience. I have no ill feelings towards GM and, I just wish my time at GM would have ended in better times. Hidden Content

Back!
    Thanks

Here's some advice, if you start an online radio show know more about the topics you discuss than these guys do. I listened to the podcast, I want the last hour of my life back. A small snapshot of the slew of errors in this.

1: They referred to Lexus GS and LS as being on the same platform, and insinuated that Toyota only has that one volume rwd platform with the upcoming, limited volume LFA slotting in well above it giving Toyota two rwd platforms in total. Of course, the truth is that the GS and LS do not ride on the same rwd platform even though both are rwd. However, IS and GS do ride on same basic rwd platform giving Toyota/Lexus a grand total of two existing, volume production rwd platforms when you add that to the unique LS platform. Add in the upcoming LFA platform they also mentioned and we have a grand total of three rwd platforms, and since we are apparently counting upcoming platforms here we can add in the likewise upcoming FT86 which will also be rwd giving us a total of four rwd platforms at Toyota.

2: They state that they don't know what Mercury will get for the future, etc., etc.. Well, if it's worth talking about it is worth knowing that plans for Mercury have been known for some time....small luxury cars would sum it up in a simple, three word statement. They could obviously complain that Ford is taking too long to get around to the Mercury plan, although that isn't a surprise since Ford has stated that the Ford brand is a priority. They could also argue that they don't think the plan will work. Of course, all of that would require that they actually knew that there was a plan in the first place....

They then ask what the Mercury emblem is about. Here's an idea, look it up. The Mercury emblem is a stylized M. Is it dated? Yeah, I think so. Again, if it's worth talking about on your own podcast, it's worth knowing what you're talking about.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Great show! I think a radio show would be excellent!
    Relax... and enjoy the difference!
    Eric Hall aka SS-Eric
    Hidden Content
    817-421-7266
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

I love how you said the SIDI Holden's are so efficient compared to the gas-hog Lacrosse.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Wow, Nick, you're young! =)
    Hidden Content

88,000 miles....
    A Tribute To A Chevy Xtreme

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I think a call in radio show would be a great idea. I could host a half hour segment called "Fireside Chat's with the Burnout Czar." Each segment would end with "This has been a message from the office of the Burnout Czar." What do you guys think?
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

Thanks

I will have to check it out. So much auto industry stuff I often get behind, I also religiously enjoy:
    Autoline after Hours EVERY thursday night w/ John Mcelroy, Peter Delorenzo, and David Welsch.
    Autoline weekly shows
    Autoblog weekly podcasts

I will have to check this out! I just downloaded it and will see if it is something I will return to, and if GMI would succeed w/ such a program.

not complaining about getting behind, i do enjoy new media!!
    Hidden Content

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 1,434 Posts
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

Quote Originally Posted by Gagarin View Post
    Wow, Nick, you're young! =)
    I second that. I'm feeling old now.

Also, China has crash standards? I figured their government just wanted to sell cars & didn't care about crash worthiness.

I'd be interested in a radio/podcast type of show. I'd be happy to be one of the hosts (read: big mouths), but I could only do that from my house. And that's way out in the boonies where the government can't find me.
    Last edited by NoStopN; 02-23-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

I missed the broadcast. What was revealed about GM's rwd programs? Thanks!

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    I missed the broadcast. What was revealed about GM's rwd programs? Thanks!
    Nothing really but you can listen to the broadcast via the link at the top of the page.
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information