How Much of a GM Fanatic are You? Tell us your story!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much of a GM Fanatic are You? Tell us your story!

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

www.gminsidenews.com

A landmark approaches. GMI is almost 15,000 members strong, with many passionate GM fans among them.

But there are different levels of fanaticism, and different ways that it is expressed, and I don't think we've heard but a fraction of the passion that's out there among our many active members, not-so-active members, and long-time lurkers.

It's time to speak up. What does it mean to you to say you are a "GM Fan"?

Some might see the brand-loyal act of buying Chevy trucks all his or her life as the mark of a GM fan.

Others might simply stick to GM because they have a GM card and rebates, but still consider themselves fans.

But the extreme fans among us might either:

1. Know all of the engine and transmission combinations used in every Camaro in existence.

2. Buy almost exclusively "tuner house" versions of GM cars, such as an SLP modified Firebird or Grand Prix. At the very least only buy the highest performance trim level of a given GM car.

3. Collect an old, obscure model of GM performance car, and try to restore it to its former tire burning glory, say something off of this thread..

4. Run a website dedicated to a particular model of GM car or Truck, with meticulously researched history files, forums for enthusiasts, etc.

5. Modify a GM car / truck from its base and boring existence, into some kind of rolling art on wheels or performance monster.

So, what kind of fan are YOU? And if you want to elaborate, what is it that attracted you to GM vehicles in the first place?

And let us know:
    • What GM cars you have owned?
    • What model of GM car you currently drive?
    • What GM cars are on your "wish list"? (Realistic or not)

Last edited by Ming; 02-26-2005 at 04:39 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: How Much of a GM Fanatic are You? Tell us your story!

Well, Im not crazy, so I say.
    I don't concider myself to be a collector, I do own an 1987 Fiero GT 5pd. that has been a little project of mine.
    I grew up with a father who loved cars and that passion has been taken on by me. My mother still works for GM in OK. I work for a GM dealer. I have owned more than GM in my short years of driving. My fondest memorys are in GM modles.
    The first car I bought was a 1970 Montecarllo. and a few since then.
    1983 Firebird
    1987 Fiero GT---still own
    1987 S10
    1988 Fiero GT
    1994 Camaro
    1995 Camaro
    1995 Park Ave.
    1996 Caprice---still own
    1996 Grand AM GT
    1998 Malibu
    1998 Jimmy
    2000 Jimmy
    2001 Yukon
    2003 Yukon---still own
    I plan on buying the new Solstice when they come out. I guess I do like GM.
    And that not every car, when I think about it every car and truck, I havn't been driving long enough to own all of these.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe

Well, let's see. I've owned 18 GM vehicles not including my wife's 4 Pontiacs and the few vans or trucks I had. Out of the 18, 14 were Pontiacs, 1 a Buick and 3 were Caddys. I presently drive a 2004 Grand Prix GTP w/competition package. My ex cars have included a '73 Grand AM, "76 GP, '86 STE, '92 Bonneville, a Trans Sport and an Aztek. My Caddys were a '76 Seville, '77 Sedan Deville and an '80 diesel Eldorado. My wife is driving a '04 Ram Air Grand Am. I would love to own a '65 GTO some day. I'm also looking foward to seeing the new Solstice. Pontiac, to me, has always offered something the other makes don't have; style. I'm not the guy who wants to be going down the road in a Camry looking at the other cars. I want the people to be looking at me (my car)! Nascar has lost it's luster since Pontiac left as I enjoyed watching Bobby and Tony tear up the field. It's just not the same for me anymore.
    So, I guess you can say I'm a Pontiac guy and GM as well. Oh yea, my daughter drives a '03 ram air Grand Am, too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

i havent had a car yet (only 15 yrs old) but i really want my first car to be a camaro. and btw im a #4

Thanks

GM is in my blood. My grandpa worked for the General for over 30 years and my dad has been working there for about 23 years. My uncle and his wife both work for GM and my mom worked in one of there plants in Lansing when she was in college. I've always wanted to work for GM and I'm only 16. Even thought I haven't onwned any cars of my own yet, my family still has had a ton of GM vehicles. My dad gets a new company car every 3 months and my mom every year. My dad currently is driving a Chevy Uplander and before that he drove a 2004 GTO. My mom is driving a 2005 Pontiac Vibe. I try to read any material on GM whenever I can and I am always excited for when my dad brings home any new info on a new car. If I graduate highschool with at least a 3.5 grade point average, my grandparents will buy me whatever GM car I want (if it's not too expensive). I plan on getting a Saturn Sky.
    Last edited by GMObsession6; 02-26-2005 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks

Long-time GM family. Both parents are retired GM executives. I'm a current GM employee at GM's headquarters.

I've spent my youth rebuilding small-block Chevy and Pontiac V8 engines, including the old Turbo Hydramatic 350 and 400 transmissions. I spent much time tuning my old '71 GTO in my youth, when the 6-pack induction system drained my tiny income weekly at the gas pump. Was well worth it.

Today, we're a GM family ... I have an SRX and my wife enjoys her C5 Corvette. My son has a 2004 Silverado and my daughter loves her 2005 Colorado.

It absolutely pains me when GM brings out a new vehicle that is only "competitive" ... I'm a firm believer that every new GM product should redefine the segment it competes in. If it doesn't do that, then GM is not working hard enough to understand its customers. For example, LaCrosse is 'okay' by some, but 'okay' will not save this company.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMObsession6
    If I graduate highschool with at least a 3.5 grade point average, my grandparents will buy me whatever GM car I want (if it's not too expensive). I plan on getting a Saturn Sky.

wow you are lucky!!!!! get your grandparents to get me one too!!!

Thanks

My Dad was car guy from way back, thats where I get a lot of my gearhead persuasion. He had mostly Oldsmobiles. My Grandpa was a used car dealer and when I was 15 in 1976 I spotted a 1968 GTO on his lot that I went crazy over. He ended up giving it to me! That was the start of me being a Pontiac Nut.
    Here's what I can remember,
    68 GTO (had since '76)
    68 Firebird (since '83)
    77 CanAm (since '88)
    00 GMC K2500 Crew (since new)
    00 GMC Safari (since new)
    71 GTO Convertible (the ONE I should have kept)
    68 Firebird Convertable
    81 Firebird Formula Turbo
    73 Cadillac Coupe Deville
    73 Elcamino SS 454
    66 Elcamino
    73 Opel Manta Rallye
    55 Chevy
    74 Chevy pickup
    77 Silverado
    84 Chevy van
    97 Grand Prix GTP (my one and only FWD car EVER!)
    67 Grand Prix convertable
    70 Bonneville
    96 Impala SS

Man I had forgotten how many vehicles Ive owned over the years. As you can see, all GM's. But that may change if GM doesn't pull their head out of their a$$. And soon. Went and looked at Ford pickups with a friend today. He is looking at them, I thought they looked pretty good too. I didn't think I would ever be saying that.

Thanks

GM fanatic does not even begin to describe me. My father, his father, my grandfather, all drove GM vehicles, so why not me? I think the high point of a GM fanatic's life is when they can talk their future wife out of buying a rice burner and buying an Oldsmobile instead. THAT's being a GM fanatic!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Am I a GM fanatic? Sure am.

Having learned the value of GM from my parents, we've never owned a non-GM car (nor have I ever rented a non-GM car at an airport).

1959 Chevy Belair (with monster fins)
    1966 Chevy Impala 2-dr (green with 250 six cyl)
    1970 Chevy Impala 2-dr (gold with 350 eight cyl - rear ended in 1978)
    1978 Chevy Caprice Cl. 2-dr (silver with 305 eight cyl - solid, 140,000K till 1990)
    1978 Chevy Malibu Classic 2-dr (two tone with 305 eight cy - KIA/collision)
    1984 Chevy Caprice 2-dr (navy blue with 5L V-8 - flimsy/not well-built)
    1986 Olds Cierra 2dr (with 2.8L six cyl - flimsy/not well-built)
    1990 Chevy Beretta (red with 3.1L V-6, 206K until 1997 with no problems)
    1997 Saab 900S 3 dr (citrine beige 2.3 non-turbo, awesome at 118K)
    2003 Saab 9-3 4-dr (silver 2.0T at 17K - my wife's - our first sedan/ nice well-built car, but I would never drive a 4dr car)

Fell in love with Saab in high school and always wanted to get one. When GM bought the company, that was my ticket in (I am a real fanatic) :-) But now that GM has killed off Saab's 3-dr hatch, and I'll be dead before they sell another hatch or coupe, probably will be kissing Saab goodbye and returning to the domestic GM models - coupes only thank you.

I will be ready for my next GM car in a few years. Hope GM remembers that its loyal customers like me still like coupes and will keep buying them. I like the looks of the new Pontiac G-6 coupe, but will wait until the more advanced motors and transmissions are introduced. OHV motors are solid and last forever, but having driven a DOHC Saab for years, I really prefer the smaller more powerful engines. 4-cyl engines are wonderful.

Also, I had a bad experience with a Pontiac dealer in 1990 where I went in and signed an awesome contract for a 1990 Sunfire. Went out to lunch to celebrate my awesome negotiating skills. Got back home, with a voice mail from the salesman telling me to come back in to "sign some more forms". Went back in, and he ripped up the contract in my face telling me that they would lose money selling it at that price - and he redrafted the contract for $3K more. Told him where to put the contract and swore off ever setting foot in a Pontiac dealership (and for 15 years, I've never even walked inside a Pontiac dealership. I've never forgiven them for that stunt.)

Word to GM - your customers are loyal, but never treat us badly like that stunt in 1990. We have long memories...

Walking
    Thanks

Sorry, I have to admit that I am a long time lurker. Only because the folks that post here, with their information and opinions, are remarkable. Topics get covered so good and I really enjoy this site better than any that are out there on the internet. So, yes Ming, I am a GM fanatic. I also have 2 sons that drive GM Vehicles. They represent the 5 generation of GM ownership in my family.

Vehicles owned:
    1969 Impala
    1973 Chevelle Malibu
    1975 Malibu
    1978 Chevy Pickup
    1981 Citation X-11
    1982 Chevy Pickup-6.2L
    1984 Olds Custom Cruiser Wagon 5.7 Diesel---still own
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    1986 Monte Carlo SS
    1989 Chevy S-10 Ext Cab Pickup
    1990 Lumina
    1991 S-10 Ext Cab
    1991 W/T Pickup
    1991 Lumina 3.4L
    1991 Beretta GTZ
    1994 Chevy Pickup 6.5 Turbo
    1995 Suburban 6.5 Turbo
    1997 GMC Suburban 5.7L
    1998 Chevy Tahoe 5.7L
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with mods----still own
    1999 Suburban 6.5 Turbo
    2000 Suburban 5.3L
    2004 Suburban 5.3L with mods-----still own

I would like to see GM offer a Colorado Crew Cab with a long bed and/or diesel option. Gm has one in the Colorado in Thailand with the common rail fuel system.

Thanks for a great forum.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC crazywop112's Avatar
    Thanks

The four cars that I have owned are all GM.

Chevrolet Caprice
    Chevrolet S-10
    Pontiac GP GTP
    Chevrolet Camaro

I am hoping to add several more chevies and pontiacs and maybe a Buick and a Cadillac.
    Last edited by crazywop112; 02-26-2005 at 07:23 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I don't really fit into any of those categories listed above -- maybe they should create a new one for people who like to keep their cars as close to factory appearance as possible.

I give the credit for my grandmother for helping to make me into a GM fan. Neither she nor anyone else in my family is a current or past GM employee (as far as I know), but she did drive GM cars for a long time -- I don't know if she had any non-GM cars in her life. The car I grew up riding around in was a 1987 Pontiac Bonneville, which she bought new and kept almost 11 years. Then she traded it for a used 1990 Buick LeSabre Limited, with some encouragement from me. My first car was a 1986 Buick LeSabre Limited (with just about all the options, including electronic instruments), and since then, I've owned a 1995 and 1998 Buick LeSabre Limited -- all three Buicks were used -- as well as three Chevrolets, all of which were new: 2004 Malibu LT, 2005 Malibu LT and my current car, a 2005 Cobalt LS.

Also, I had a bad experience with a Pontiac dealer in 1990
    I've had one not so great experience with a Pontiac-Buick-Cadillac-GMC dealer in the last year or two. I was looking at some new LeSabres and Grand Prixs on the lot, and when I told the salesman I was considering those two models, he told me I didn't want the LeSabre -- as if HE was going to pick out my car for me! He tried hard to steer me toward a 2004 demo Grand Prix they had marked down, but then he switched to the GTO almost the very moment I even cast a glance at one in the showroom -- never mind the fact that it was out of my price range and I wasn't interested in it anyway. Needless to say, I didn't buy a car from him.

But most of my bad experiences have been with Ford dealerships, especially one in particular where I tried unsuccessfully to buy a used 1998 LeSabre Limited in 2000. I really wanted the car bad, but Ford Credit wanted either $5,000 down or a co-signer, but I couldn't do either so I had to walk away. Then in 2003 at that same dealership (new location though), I test drove a 1998 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi and liked it, except for a problem with the tires and some aftermarket fake wood on the inside that really did NOT belong at all. But the worst part was when they offered me $3,500 for my 1998 LeSabre, even though a Chevrolet dealer had previously offered me $4,500 (much closer to what it was really worth). I was going to leave and forget it, but the salesman wanted me to make offers (regardless of how ridiculous they were) just to get him more bonuses.

Thanks

I don't buy cars that often, but I'm 47, and have a LONG association with GM.

I'm a car guy, but the stock market and real estate are far more worthwhile investments until I retire in 20 years or so.

Your parents cars don't count. Period. Your money to the metal tells all.

First car in '74 was a Mustang II Mach I (don't laught; the Monza next year was HIDEOUS), given as a gift. Spoiled brat. Then I worked hard.

'78 Monte Carlo Landau V-8, loaded, brand new, that I paid cash for (well, got some $ for the Stang), as a junior in college.

'82 Monte Carlo CL V-6. Piece of junk. Catalytic converter problems non-stop. Check Engine light grew to be my friend. Black soot out of the tailpipe whenever I started it did not earn me points!

'86 Monte Carlo Luxury Sport CL. Great car, like the '78. Nearly 100K miles, nearly trouble-free. Until...

GM lost it.

'92 Accord EX. No airbag GM?, not a GM sale. Hated the Accord after a year. Missed GM.

'96 Monte Carlo Z34. Nearly killed me. Disaster. 10.5K miles was all I could handle. Bad car, bad GM. Faulty engine, as many others in similar positions noted.

'98 Malibu LS. In the shop more than not, for 6 years. Work from home, so no biggie. 21K miles, not good.

2004, Honda Accord time again. But, in 6/04 GM introduces Owner Loyalty rebates in large amounts. Fell for the Malibu Maxx, so I'm here again. I'm a GM "sicko".
    Last edited by wpbharry; 02-26-2005 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks

I don't know where my GM loyalty came from. My father was an equal opportunity buyer. Ford, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Crysler, Dodge, and the latest is a Lexus. For some reason, I always liked GM. I didn't become a pontiac man till my Grand Am. That car treated me very well. Then when the 97 Grand Prix came out, I had to have one. I still like the shape better than the new ones. So the fact the GTO has the front so similar, it's fine with me.

Between my wife and I we have had:

88 Pontiac Sunbird
    93 Pontiac Grand Am
    98 Pontiac Grand Am
    99 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (my current car)
    03 Pontiac Montana

My next car... GTO. Although cars like the 300C make it tough to be loyal. My ideal car would be a Zeta Pontiac 4 door, but unfortunately thats a few years off yet. Thank god automakers are pushing the power back to the rear wheels where it belongs. Still stumps me why Ford is pushing everything up front, but thats a different discussion.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information