GMI's First Long Term Test

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GMI's First Long Term Test

GMI Staff Member Premium Member TaHoE's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt

GMI's First Long Term Test

It's GMI's FIRST Long Term Test, the 2005 Saturn VUE 4 AWD...Check it out here!

Last edited by TaHoE; 01-25-2005 at 09:34 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: GMI's First Long Term Test

Question for you: Did this long term test commence in '04 or whenever the Vue was introduced to the market on sale? Or is this the beginning of the long term test that GMI is starting currently and will continue to report on until next year?
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I'm not sure if you GMI staff members are aware of this, but this type of development - in which you start performing your own longterm road tests - moves the monthly auto rags one step closer to becoming obsolete, in my humble estimation. And I think that that's a good thing. As soon as auto enthusiast websites offer more of what they offer (and do so in a more timely manner), the sooner that more people will realize the irrelevance of these journals. I have abandoned them since I've found reasonably reliable online sources of information. For free, even.

Then again, maybe this is just a fantasy that I've tried to nurture...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I agree with you tgagneguam. The other thing too is that GMI is a source of information that I trust much more than the auto mags. All in all, we're talking about cars, trucks and SUVs here, it's not like this is the be all and end all of information, but of the forms of media that produce and distribute this information, auto mags don't always rank high with sources I always believe. Personally, the only auto mag I will read anymore is Motor Trend. I find them to be accurate, then again, others will say there are better mags out there. However, GMI proves to be a source of reliable information, accurate numbers and figures, and for the most part, people contribute with honest opinions. I would love to see more long term tests in the future. With this kind of quality, and the different types of offerings, sites like this will definitely put a dent into the following of the major auto mags.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt

This is GMI's First Long Term test drive. Usually a test drive takes max 10 to 15 minutes, so it doesn't give us enough time to evaluate a vehicle. However my GF recently purchased a 2005 VUE after totalling her Kia Sportage (she is fine, it was the other person's fault in reality but since LI has such excellent laws, somehow it got pinned on her). This gave me the opurtunity to test it every now and then and do followups, this test drive took a few hours, which is much longer than usual.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your gf having the blame pinned on her. That kind of thing infuriates me. Good to know she wasn't injured too, the occupants and in this case your gf's health and safety are first and foremost the most important factors in any accident.

I like the idea on a side note of GMI introducing long term tests as they become available.
    Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC caprice 511's Avatar
    Thanks

Glad your GF is O.K. . Don't like to hear bad news about anybody . Give your GF a kiss for us . lol

On a softer note , please keep very detailed notes . I'll be in the market for a new vehicle in the future . I need some info .

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt

Thanks for the kind words everyone. The car that hit her was a Nissan Altima (2002) it was totalled.

I will keep as detailed notes as possible caprice.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a great idea, and has the potential to be much better than the long term tests from auto mags. The main gripe I have with the usual long term test is 1)Its usually not long term at all, and 2) They are unrealistically good to the cars.
    I'm sorry but the fact that a car can go for 20,000 miles with regularly scheduled dealer visits and oil changes tells me precious little about that vehicle. Indeed, these days only a complete lemon would have problems of any consequence in 20,000 miles. A long term test should be twice as long, and more realistic. By more realistic, I basically mean less dealer visits. The average person gets their oil changes at Jiffy Lube - probably a 100 miles late - and has neither the extra time nor extra cash for every scheduled dealer maitenence. I like to see what little problems I can expect from the car as time goes on. Does the seat wear down after a lot of seat time (did on my GP)? Does handling decline? Does the car start to really need attention after the warranty is up?
    This car is really owned by a person, which allows for the chance of a realistic test.
    Hidden Content
    "The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dav305z
    This is a great idea, and has the potential to be much better than the long term tests from auto mags. The main gripe I have with the usual long term test is 1)Its usually not long term at all, and 2) They are unrealistically good to the cars.
    Unrealistically good? That's not a good sign, then... Go to edmunds.com and read their long-term tests of a Cadillac Seville STS (yes, the 98 model, not the new STS, I'm not confusing the naming) and a GMC Sierra. Both of them were allegedly falling apart within 30000 miles (e.g. paint on buttons wearing off, etc...)

If they were unrealistically good to those cars/truck, that's a very bad sign for GM...

If unrealistically good means they follow manufacturer maintenance schedules (Edmunds will get dealers to take off items that the manufacturer doesn't say are required), then yes, they're unrealistically good (though I would argue that ordinary people like my dad are even more good to their cars, then...). But aside from that, those vehicles seem to get a pretty good beating.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information