GMI Updates Future Product Guide

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GMI Updates Future Product Guide

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

A must-read for GM enthusiasts to find out where the product plans stand at GM.
    www.gminsidenews.com
    March 30, 2009
    By: Nsap

Throughout the last six months (or more), the focus on General Motors here at GMInsidenews has not been on product like it typically is. The reason for that is quite obvious: GM’s business news trumps all in the times of teetering bankruptcy and government bailouts. There isn’t a day that goes by in which some new article or commentary does not come out trying to depict what is going to happen to General Motors or what should happen to them. We’ve tried to keep up with all of that here at GMI for the mere fact that we feel product news is largely irrelevant when the possibility exists in which the company could cease to exist even a few months from now. However, as with anything, there comes a time in which you have to operate normally regardless.

We’ve spent the last three weeks digging through information and consulting sources in an effort to update our GM Future Product Guide. Over the years our FPG has evolved from a mere timeline of what is coming out to about the only guide regarding all of General Motors future product. The major issue at the moment: the product plans change DAILY. With GM cash-strapped and attempting to please the government, they are halting, delaying, killing and altering future product like crazy. Unless it is a vehicle that is slated to launch in the 2009 calendar year, I would not under any circumstances promise anything beyond it.

Our new FPG covers model-years 2010-2013. It needs to be explicitly clear that it is arranged by MODEL YEAR and not calendar year. We’re quickly approaching the launch date for most of the 2010 fleet, so as more finite details arise regarding them from order guides and dealer networks, we’ll add them. The big push for 2010 is apparently the addition of a USB port in most GM products. They started trickling USB ports out for 2009, but 2010 seems to be the year that about everything is going to get it.

Bow-Tie Rules

There is one interesting tid-bit that you will note in the new FPG, and that is that Chevrolet has a LOT of new product coming. 2011 and 2012 model-years in particular are quite substantial for the Chevrolet brand. They have everything from the Spark mini car to a Lambda SUT coming and just about everything between. Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper has been quite vocal that he believes Chevrolet’s market share will increase over the next few years and looking at the amount of product they have coming, we’d believe that is likely.

We believe most of the Chevrolet product that is coming is familiar with everyone. There are probably a couple of surprises; those being the Lambda SUT and Gamma crossover. The Lambda SUT has been in development for awhile now and there was actually going to be a GMC Lambda SUT as well (remember the Denali XT Concept?), but as GMI reported several months ago, the GMC was axed. GMI sources have stated that the Chevrolet is still on, but could be in danger of getting the ax too. As for the Gamma II crossover, Lutz has referred to them in the media before. Gamma II is the underpinning for the next-generation Chevrolet Aveo, so this is going to be a little crossover with really good gas mileage. GM Daewoo, like with the Aveo, has done a lot of the development on it.

Probably one of the more highly-anticipated new models is going to be the next-generation Malibu. The new car is going to be on the Epsilon II platform and will be all-new from the tires up. GMI has seen a sketch of the new Malibu interior and we liked what we saw. The overall design follows the “dual cowl” design of the current car, but its more modern and has a fully-integrated center stack. The new gauge cluster reminds us a bit of the 2010 Buick LaCrosse. We’re told all of the engines for the new Malibu will be direct injected and we could even see a turbo thrown in. Stay tuned, we’ll get as much information on this car as we can.

Lack of Pontiac

Sadly, Pontiac, like Saab, Saturn and Hummer, does not have much future product in the works. Just about everything they did have slated has been canceled. What product they do have left consists of rebadged Chevrolet product (are you really surprised?). Needless to say, GMI does not and has never believed GM’s PR regarding the supposed “downsize” of Pontiac. The future product plans seem to have the brand starved to death, not downsized to a niche brand.

Bye Saturn

You’ll quickly note that Saturn is done in the 2012 model-year. GM has thrown out all future development of the brand. They are stuck with the products they have until 2012 and then they are closing up shop. What happens to the brand beyond that depends on their dealerships.

FAQ

What happened to all of the Zeta cars?

Zeta is dead. The final investment into the Zeta program will be for the VF Commodore in 2011. Initially a Zeta-based Impala, next-generation G8, Lucerne replacement and DTS replacement were slated for it, but all were canceled. This also kills any chance of a return of the GTO or Firebird (see Pontiac above, which ices the Pontiac cake).

Where are the Alpha cars (G6, BLS, etc.)?!?!

Alpha development will not even begin until GM is more financially stable. Development of Alpha is taking place at GM North America and GM Europe, meaning the platform is going to be too costly to spawn a Pontiac G6. Just to make it clear: there will NOT be an Alpha G6. The Cadillac Alpha (to be named BT3) is still on, but will not arrive until after 2013, so it is not included in the Future Product Guide.

Why so long until we get the Buick Regal?

Well, GM would like to hold off until the refreshed Regal is ready. That way the car is fresh for all markets (North America and China). Plus GM needs time to prepare the Oshawa, Ontario assembly plant to build it.

What about Impala?

The current Impala is soldiering on until 2013 on the W-Body platform. After that the Impala will go on a hiatus for a couple years, and then return on a long-wheel base version of the Alpha platform. The car is said to be a rebadged VG Commodore and will be built in North America. The GM product board has not approved this yet, but they are leaning toward it heavily. Read about it HERE.

Are the full-size SUV’s getting replaced?

Yes and no. At the current time the plans have not changed: they are dying or getting replaced on a variant of the Lambda platform. Their fate is largely based on the financial viability of GM and CAFÉ legislation.

Closing

Please remember that right now is a very uncertain time at GM when it comes to...everything. The Future Product Guide will be updated on an as-needed basis and we have tried to have it as accurate as possible, but it is nearly impossible to have it perfect. Enjoy!

Last edited by nsap; 03-30-2009 at 08:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Re: GMI Updates Future Product Guide

Yup. Glad I bought the G8. There is nothing coming new coming out through 2013 that would make me think twice about this purchase.

We may still get a Travclavadia for the wife to replace the Freestyle in a couple of years.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Thanks

I really hope they do not replace the large SUVs with Lamdas.....they only came out two years ago and should be good for several years without huge changes....

The only nitpick I have is the lack of a fold-flat third row.
    2010 Infiniti FX35
    2007 Yukon XL Denali
    2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

Awesome, thanks for the hard work!
    SANITIZED: for your viewing pleasure

Jay
    Thanks

No new products until 2013?! Looks like I may be shopping elsewhere when it comes time to replace my G6 coupe. Luckily they just built a new Nissan dealership in my town.
    Real drivers use both feet.

Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

My God, it is even worse than I feared. The next few years will not only see the death of whole divisions, but a terrible product drought. This laughable future product roster against the likely competition? GM may as well file for Chapter 7 liquidation now. Really.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    Yup. Glad I bought the G8. There is nothing coming new coming out through 2013 that would make me think twice about this purchase.
    I feel EXACTLY the same about my 09 G8 GT purchase. I will NEVER buy a Buick over a Pontiac, especially if they starve Pontiac to death. Chances are I'll be keeping my G8 for a very long time and no longer buying new every 2-3 years.
    16 Garnet Red 1LT RS Camaro 6SPD
    14 Torch Red 1LT Corvette 455HP 7SPD
    14 Crystal Red Volt w/heated cloth
    10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426HP 6SPD "MAIDEN" (TOTALED!)
    09 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT w/sport/prem/sunroof
    06 GTO 400HP LS2 6SPD(traded)
    02 Firebird Formula LS1 HURST 6SPD(1st new car)
    83 El Camino Conquista 350(RIP G8 ST) Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 FierySolstice's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok so that just confirms it, I'm going German. Currently GM has no cars that I want and if this is the future of GM, none in the future as well. No Alphas? A Cadillac called a BT3? What a stupid name! Pontiac starved? No way will I EVER buy a Chevrolet unless it's a Camaro or Corvette. I will NEVER buy a Buick. I would only buy Pontiacs, GMC's, and Saturns. Too bad GM doesn't care about the younger generations, you know the ones that they need to woo from the foreign automakers!
    Current Ride: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT

Past Rides: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible * 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS * 2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ * 2007 Saturn Aura XE * 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE * 2004 Pontiac G6 * 1991 Saturn SC * 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    No new products until 2013?! Looks like I may be shopping elsewhere when it comes time to replace my G6 coupe. Luckily they just built a new Nissan dealership in my town.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigThreeForever View Post
    My God, it is even worse than I feared. The next few years will not only see the death of whole divisions, but a terrible product drought. This laughable future product roster against the likely competition? GM may as well file for Chapter 7 liquidation now. Really.
    2010 Model Year:
    LaCrosse: The all-new LaCrosse is to launch in early summer of 2009 as a 2010 model. It is the first car on the North American market to be based on GM’s new Epsilon II platform.

CTS Wagon: The new CTS Sport Wagon is going to be launching this summer as a 2010 model

SRX: All-new for 2010, based on GM’s TE (Theta-Epsilon) platform.

Equinox: All-new for 2010, launching this summer as a 2010 model.

Malibu: The current ECOTEC 2.4L may be replaced with GM’s new direct-injected 2.4L that debuted in the 2010 Equinox. We’re hearing this change may not take place until mid-model year though. If they do add the new DI 2.4L, expect fuel economy numbers to increase along with power ratings. Although we have not heard any solid numbers, we expect that the engine would be able to achieve 34-35 MPG on the highway. GM has been aggressive thus far with increasing fuel economy on the midsizers every year.

Terrain: This is the 2010 Equinox’s new brother. However the Terrain will not be sharing any sheet metal with its Chevrolet brother. The interiors will be similar though. Like the Equinox, expect the direct-injected 2.4L standard and the new direct-injected 3.0L V6 optional. Production is slated to begin in March 2009.

2011 Model Year.

CTS: After a year delay, the CTS Coupe is expected to launch in early 2010 as a 2011 model. Engines will include the same direct-injected 3.0L and 3.6L as the sedan and wagon. However also expect a V-Series edition of the car.

Cruze: The Cruze will finally launch in summer 2010 as a 2011 model. The base engine will be a ECOTEC 1.8L with around 140 HP, while an optional direct-injected, turbocharged ECOTEC 1.4L will round out the lineup. The 1.4L is said to achieve upwards of 45 MPG on the highway, but final numbers do not exist at this time. GMI has also heard tid-bits that a Cruze SS has already been developed for the U.S., and that the red Cruze that was at the Detroit auto show was actually an SS (minus the badging of course). That might just explain why said car had cross-drilled rotors on it…

Silverado HD: 2011 is going to bring the HD trucks to a new version of their platform and slight cosmetic changes. The cosmetic changes are said to include a revised front fascia; notably to get rid of the massive amounts of chrome on the current HD’s bumper. This is their “mid-cycle enhancement” so to speak. There were rumors of a new 6.9L Duramax diesel, but we hear that is not the case. A slight power bump in the current 6.6L Duramax may take place to keep the competition in check.

Spark: The all-new Spark will launch in global markets (Europe and Asia) in 2010 as a 2011 model.

Volt: GM’s first electrically-driven vehicle will hit the market in late 2010 as a 2011 model. Do not expect any sort of high volume initially however. We’re told initial production numbers are less than 10,000 units.

2012 Model Year:
    "Astra": GM’s product board is currently exploring the idea of adding the Opel Astra to the Buick lineup in both North America and China. If the idea is approved, the Buick car would likely get a new name and revised design (a little more revised than the Regal). GM feels there is potential for a mid-luxury compact in both markets now. Approval of the idea is not expected this summer.

Colorado: Finally an all-new Colorado comes out in 2012 model-year. It will be based on GM’s new GMT-700 midsize body-on-frame platform. Little else is known about the 700’s.

Gamma SUV: GM has been working on a small crossover based on the 2011 Aveo’s Gamma II platform. We’re told that it is still on for production in 2011 as a 2012 model. GM and sources have been quiet about this product, so not much is known.

Malibu: The all-new Epsilon II based Malibu will be arriving in 2011 as a 2012 model. This Malibu is design is going to be used globally, with the only difference being that the North American Malibu will be on a long-wheel base version of the Epsilon II platform. Expect nothing but direct injected engines; ranging from the ECOTEC 2.4L to a variant of the High-Feature V6 line. The interior design is going to follow the current car rather closely, but with fully-integrated switchgear and an overall more enthusiastic design.

MPV: Initially a Chevrolet crossover similar to the Kia Rhondo was supposed to debut this year, but it was pushed back due to GM’s financial situation. The car is going to be based on the Chevrolet Orlando concept car that debuted last year, which is on the Delta II platform. This new MPV is going to be built at GM’s Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant and is said to share parts with Opel.

Spark: As GM announced at the Chicago Auto Show this year, North America is getting the all-new Spark mini car. Engines are expected to include a 1.0L and 1.2L; supposedly obtaining over 45 MPG. The car follows the Beat concept car from a couple years ago and is supposed to be in the U.S. in late 2010 as a 2011 model.

SUT: GM is working on a Chevrolet Lambda SUT that would be tagged to compete with the likes of the Honda Ridgeline. So long as it does not end up canceled, it will arrive in late 2011.

Thats a whole lot of new product for a "drought."

A new 2.4 in the Malibu? Good stuff.
    Mercedes: Irrellevant in todays market.

"I would never consider owning a Buick because of the sheer stigma of owning a Buick, no matter how good they got;"
    -Mgescuro the follower.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,046 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

thanks for the heads up.

Chevy and cadillac look to be the entire future for GM.

For those considering a G8 GT... its a great car and don't let this stop you from buying it. The chevy version of it will have all the parts of the G8 GT available for years to come.

Pretty soon GM will be just making the cars that the democrats want to see built.. or at least until GM can pay back all the loans..
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,410 Posts

Wow that is a depressing product guide. There just isn't much there to get excited about.

At least the Camaro is here.

I'm glad that the CTS will be replaced with an all-new car for 2013. Five-year life spans are good between generations.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I have had to pause for thought to get my feelings under control. I think I am about ready now.

So . . . by the fall of next year, Buick will consist of the LaCrosse annd the Enclave.

That's it. One car and one crossover. For a "core brand?" Perhaps GM needs to find out what words actually mean before they start using them.

By that time, Cadillac's entire car line will consist of . . . the CTS.

That's it. Good luck against Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Jaguar and Infiniti with that "product range". They must be quaking in their boots in Stuttgart, Munich and Toyota City.

Chevrolet's flagship will be the already-elderly Impala, with a platform whose engineering inception began around 1982. The Impala, fleet-only, no doubt, will croak in 2013 without a replacement.

So, maybe, possibly, some day in the distant future, but no sooner than six years from now, a successor might - might - finally show up. Or not. On reflection, I feel "not" is more likely.

The only new Pontiac which might - just possibly - be on the horizon, is a G5 successor, a rebadged Cruze.

To borrow a line from R. A. Lutz, Esq., what a total crock of ****.

As far as I am concerned, GM is no longer worth bothering with. I mean, it is just grotesquely embarrassing to even try and defend that "product strategy" to fellow car enthusiasts.

Chrysler looks like it is dead. I hope not, but I personally hold out no realistic hope for them. Which leaves Ford.

Even if Ford and GM do manage to survive, it is clear that - as far as cars go - they will be using foreign designs for almost all of their future US sales.

Conclusion: the American car is dead.

As a life-long Detroit loyalist, this is going to be psychologically and emotionally extremely difficult for me, but I am going to have to totally reappraise my attitude toward vehicles from Europe and Japan. Perhaps I really have been stupid and naive in my support for the dinosaurs of Michigan.

Am I alone in these thoughts?

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigThreeForever View Post
    I have had to pause for thought to get my feelings under control. I think I am about ready now.

So . . . by the fall of next year, Buick will consist of the LaCrosse annd the Enclave.

That's it. One car and one crossover. For a "core brand?" Perhaps GM needs to find out what words actually mean before they start using them.

By that time, Cadillac's entire car line will consist of . . . the CTS.

That's it. Good luck against Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Jaguar and Infiniti with that "product range". They must be quaking in their boots in Stuttgart, Munich and Toyota City.

Chevrolet's flagship will be the already-elderly Impala, with a platform whose engineering inception began around 1982. The Impala, fleet-only, no doubt, will croak in 2013 without a replacement.

So, maybe, possibly, some day in the distant future, but no sooner than six years from now, a successor might - might - finally show up. Or not. On reflection, I feel "not" is more likely.

The only new Pontiac which might - just possibly - be on the horizon, is a G5 successor, a rebadged Cruze.

To borrow a line from R. A. Lutz, Esq., what a total crock of ****.

As far as I am concerned, GM is no longer worth bothering with. I mean, it is just grotesquely embarrassing to even try and defend that "product strategy" to fellow car enthusiasts.

Chrysler looks like it is dead. I hope not, but I personally hold out no realistic hope for them. Which leaves Ford.

Even if Ford and GM do manage to survive, it is clear that - as far as cars go - they will be using foreign designs for almost all of their future US sales.

Conclusion: the American car is dead.

As a life-long Detroit loyalist, this is going to be psychologically and emotionally extremely difficult for me, but I am going to have to totally reappraise my attitude toward vehicles from Europe and Japan. Perhaps I really have been stupid and naive in my support for the dinosaurs of Michigan.

Am I alone in these thoughts?
    I'm very pleased with Chevrolet's future. They have a LOT of product coming; good product.

Pontiac is, in all sense of the word, dead. Anyone buying that PR BS about it being a "niche brand" are believing exactly what GM wants you to. I have been reluctant to post this publicly since it is my word against GM's PR machine, but back in August the Board of Directors was fine with killing Pontiac...just laying that on the table.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,046 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I will still support american brands over foreign brands...based off the performance, value and creation of jobs in america..

Hell will freeze over before I chose a japanese product over an american one..

thats just a personal choice....

Support american workers working for american branded products.

All the smucks who bought foreign cars are now supporting (tax dollars)the american companies anyway! LOL

Predatory economic warfare from the japanese destroyed this countries infra structure...

Currency valuations allowed the japanese companies to pummel the competition..

now they are getting their @sses kicked anyway..
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Pontiac is, in all sense of the word, dead. Anyone buying that PR BS about it being a "niche brand" are believing exactly what GM wants you to. I have been reluctant to post this publicly since it is my word against GM's PR machine, but back in August the Board of Directors was fine with killing Pontiac...just laying that on the table.
    While this may all be true, I predict the G8 & Vibe will once again be best sellers for GM in March sales #'s(like Feb) while almost all of GM's other cars will be down 40-50%. Loyal fans of the Pontiac brand are going to make it difficult to just kill it off. Despite all of the recent madness, Pontiac still handily outsells Buick even with no investment. They're saving the wrong brand. Maybe Hendersen will see the light.
    16 Garnet Red 1LT RS Camaro 6SPD
    14 Torch Red 1LT Corvette 455HP 7SPD
    14 Crystal Red Volt w/heated cloth
    10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426HP 6SPD "MAIDEN" (TOTALED!)
    09 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT w/sport/prem/sunroof
    06 GTO 400HP LS2 6SPD(traded)
    02 Firebird Formula LS1 HURST 6SPD(1st new car)
    83 El Camino Conquista 350(RIP G8 ST) Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast