GMI Surpasses 50,000 Members! - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: GMI Surpasses 50,000 Members!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 678 Posts

Re: GMI Surpasses 50,000 Members!

Anyone know how old the site is? I know it was sometime in 'o2.. I've been here over 7 years.. I don't see many registrations that predate my own.
    Last edited by bmwboy2007; 05-14-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: addendum

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Congratulations to all involved in the day to day running of this site. I like how GMI could now mean GM International. The thing I really like about this site is the input from around the world. There could, of course, be more but I think GM itself would acknowledge how this site has opened peoples eyes up to what their corporation does around the world and to what alternative vehicles are available around the world. I know a lot bitch about about what models GMNA gets (and doesn't) but at least GM gets real views that they can use in product development and market focus activities.
    Again well done.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

GMi is a hell of a website I am not shocked that the community grew to this size.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not suprised because when you do things right, you tend to succeed. It's not a overnight thing just a long steady progression. Keep up the good work and we all look forward to the future here.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by mrDenali View Post
    Congrats! Who's lucky number 50,000?
    Lazerwarlock.

Seriously, congrats, Nick, and the rest o' yuz all.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Sold my first car in 1964 (Pontiac Catalina 2 Door @ $2495.00) Most of my clientele were GM Tech Center Employees in Warren. Have been in the business one way or the other since and have been hanging on just long enough to match BOB LUTZ'S 47 years.
    Best quote from BOB was when he was asked a few years back about the sales to rental fleets he said the other manufacturers put in well equipped cars and we put stripped models with that "Buick Rat Hair interiors.LOL'D at that. Good luck and continued success.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Old Dood's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: GMI Surpasses 50,000 Members!

Cool thread. I still am catching up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    I never owned GMI, was just an Administrator prior to the acquisition.

I'll be honest, in the beginning it was tough under the new ownership, mostly differences in dynamics. However for the last year I can say that our relationship with our parent company is a tremendous asset to the site. They are more than willing to pay for staff to attend events and auto shows and upper management (CEO specifically) is very impressed with GMI. We have support in very high places with our parent company and they understand that the GMI formula is not one that should be messed with, so they have been good about maintaining a hands-off approach.
    I am GLAD this has worked out for NSAP/Nick and the forum in general.
    The Parent Company was smart to leave well enough alone and not fix what was not broken.

NSAP has been a level headed Admin/Person ever since I had the honor of meeting him.
    Nick has ALWAYS been fair and kind with me and I am sure he has with everyone else IF they treated him with respect.

It looks like The Parent Company even allowed him to UpGrade the software here.
    (any news on vBulletin 4.0.2 anytime soon? hehe! It is even more involved and allows Members to have Blogs if they want. I am learning it still myself on a Private Forum I am on)

To me vBulletin is the Finest Forum Software out there today.
    I noticed a lot of the members have not even used any of the 'New Add Ons' yet or very little.
    The Visitor Messages can be quite useful.
    The Photo Albums as well.
    You can set up X-Amount of Photo Albums and make X-Amount of your Albums 'Private' to be viewed by just the 'Friends' you have.
    You can even comment on each photo that someone puts up.
    I have to assume some members have used this feature by now.
    I just haven't had the time to search.
    You can also start up Specialty Groups which is pretty neat.
    Then allow or not allow other members to join.
    You set up a category and run with it.
    Maybe that is not turned on here...I dunno.

Maybe there is a thread that shows how this newer vB software works...I have not seen it but, then again I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

A Question to NSAP: Did you get 'Mod Chat' Yet? (I know I asked you this about a year ago )
    With as many active members now it would be a very useful tool.
    For those that do not know what this is.... It is a Chat Board on top of every page on a vB forum that has it installed.
    While you are going from page to page you will always see about 6 lines of 'chat'. (Depending on how large or small you make your fonts for it)
    You can go to just a Chat Page where the whole page is chat when it is running fast so you can keep up.
    It also has an 'Archive' so when a Mod comes back online they can catch up on what everyone is talking about.

Now that General Motors welcomes us with open arms, you are going to continue to see advancements in content and quality.
    When did this 'Welcome' happen? I remember when they did not acknowledge GMi.
    This is good news to me and probably old news to many.
    TRY to Think Outside of the Box!
    Dag-Nab-It! I missed the thread titled:"Woman Kicked Off Train After 16-hour Cell Phone Chat"Hidden Content

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dood View Post
    Cool thread. I still am catching up a bit.

I am GLAD this has worked out for NSAP/Nick and the forum in general.
    The Parent Company was smart to leave well enough alone and not fix what was not broken.

NSAP has been a level headed Admin/Person ever since I had the honor of meeting him.
    Nick has ALWAYS been fair and kind with me and I am sure he has with everyone else IF they treated him with respect.

It looks like The Parent Company even allowed him to UpGrade the software here.
    (any news on vBulletin 4.0.2 anytime soon? hehe! It is even more involved and allows Members to have Blogs if they want. I am learning it still myself on a Private Forum I am on)

To me vBulletin is the Finest Forum Software out there today.
    I noticed a lot of the members have not even used any of the 'New Add Ons' yet or very little.
    The Visitor Messages can be quite useful.
    The Photo Albums as well.
    You can set up X-Amount of Photo Albums and make X-Amount of your Albums 'Private' to be viewed by just the 'Friends' you have.
    You can even comment on each photo that someone puts up.
    I have to assume some members have used this feature by now.
    I just haven't had the time to search.
    You can also start up Specialty Groups which is pretty neat.
    Then allow or not allow other members to join.
    You set up a category and run with it.
    Maybe that is not turned on here...I dunno.

Maybe there is a thread that shows how this newer vB software works...I have not seen it but, then again I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    Thanks! Things have worked out better than I expected, that is for sure. We're so grateful to have such a good community here...its hard to come by that in automotive forums!

As for the new features, I think people are latching onto some of them. I see the visitor comments and "friends" features are being well-utilized.

At the current time I do not think we have Groups turned on, but I've been looking into potentially launching that feature.

Our license for 4.0.2 (with Publishing Suite) has been purchased and GMI is supposed to be the first site in the network to get it within a few months. They have been apprehensive with 4.0 because it does have known security issues, but most are getting resolved in the latest patch. Really looking forward to it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dood
    A Question to NSAP: Did you get 'Mod Chat' Yet? (I know I asked you this about a year ago )
    With as many active members now it would be a very useful tool.
    For those that do not know what this is.... It is a Chat Board on top of every page on a vB forum that has it installed.
    While you are going from page to page you will always see about 6 lines of 'chat'. (Depending on how large or small you make your fonts for it)
    You can go to just a Chat Page where the whole page is chat when it is running fast so you can keep up.
    It also has an 'Archive' so when a Mod comes back online they can catch up on what everyone is talking about.
    No, we don't have Mod Chat. With GMI we're now trying to keep a balance of being a true news outlet versus a social media hub. I struggle to explain this. I guess to put it bluntly, we'd prefer to keep social interactions to our FB Page and/or Twitter if not on the forum. I know less people use these, but its sort of a "keeping up appearances" thing with the OEM's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dood
    When did this 'Welcome' happen? I remember when they did not acknowledge GMi.
    This is good news to me and probably old news to many.
    Last fall we reached out to Bob Lutz privately through a great connection here on the site. I also reached out to then VP of Communications Chris Preuss. In the matter of a couple of weeks I had a conference call with nearly every Director-level Communications employee at GM.

They were great to talk to and agreed it was time to "wipe the slate clean" with GMI. Shortly after they invited me to the Los Angeles show, then a month later to NAIAS. They have also gotten two of us in the press fleet (its in the works now) and more stuff is coming.

We've also have press fleet with Holden...had it before GMNA actually!

GMI has support in very high places at GM now. Its really marveling how much has changed since the bankruptcy in regards to our relationship with them.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Old Dood's Avatar
    Thanks

First of all: You are Welcome. You have proved to me what a Quality Administrator IS.
    This is also a reflection on your Staff.
    I know some may not agree with every decision that the Mods make but, that goes with the territory.
    Some people tend to forget it is a Part Time Job and that they are human as well.
    Overall they are doing a darn good job.
    Especially for such a large sized forum base.

No, we don't have Mod Chat. With GMI we're now trying to keep a balance of being a true news outlet versus a social media hub. I struggle to explain this. I guess to put it bluntly, we'd prefer to keep social interactions to our FB Page and/or Twitter if not on the forum. I know less people use these, but its sort of a "keeping up appearances" thing with the OEM's.
    OK, I can respect that...
    Just so we are on the same page:
    You do realize I am only speaking of Mod Chat and not a Member Chat...correct?
    I wasn't speaking for me or other members to chat in it. That would be NUTS and unruly.
    Only the Staff can access (And view) Mod Chat. Or any category of staff members you set up like Staff Writers, Contributors, etc.
    Sorry... I hope I am not sounding 'pushy'. Far be it from me to tell you your business Nick. I mean that and I trust you know that from me as well.

I was a Mod (as you know) on a forum that reached many, many members in a short amount of time.
    The Mod Chat was the only thing that helped us communicate 'On the Fly'.
    Even with that it was a daunting task. It was also a good place to Vent, ask an opinion of another Mod/Admin before any Mod intervention has taken place.
    I have a lot more compassion and understanding for those that have accepted the responsibility to 'Moderate' a Forum then I did before.
    It can be a thankless job at times or at least it can feel like it.
    (Yer Damed if you do and Damn if you don't )
    I was just trying to give you some insight on how you might like one here with all the members that are on as it is.

That is why I have been asking about the Mod Chat feature. To make your lives easier in the long run.

Using Skype is another way of going that route. Do you have a Skype account?
    If so lets chat on it sometime. I like the Voice Skype the best.
    MUCH easier to SPEAK then to type all the time....haha!

All in all you and your Staffers have done an Excellent Job here with all the changes.
    I am looking forward to the new and improved things you hinted at.
    I just hope I am not breaking any rules.
    I do try to respect The ToS of membership here or on ANY forum.
    As it truly is a Privilege and not a Right to post up.
    Even Paid Subscriptions are a Privilege. ( I love the PM 'Bump' of the Paid Subscription and the reduced ADs)
    I know some feel it is their Constitutional Right when posting on a forum.
    It doesn't really apply since it is privately owned.
    That is why it is a Privilege and not a Right!

I apologize...I did not mean for my post to be so long....Oops!
    TRY to Think Outside of the Box!
    Dag-Nab-It! I missed the thread titled:"Woman Kicked Off Train After 16-hour Cell Phone Chat"Hidden Content

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information