GMI Snap Judgment- Rate the Buick Lucerne

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Poll: How Would You Rate the Buick Lucerne (5 Highest, 1 Lowest)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GMI Snap Judgment- Rate the Buick Lucerne

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member Branden's Avatar
    Thanks

GMI Snap Judgment- Rate the Buick Lucerne

I figured it would be cool to have a rating thread like this, since GM reads the boards. Kind of give them instant feedback.

Here are the Ratings!-
    5- GM Has finally turned the corner
    4- A step in the right direction for GM
    3- About what you could expect from a freshened Buick
    2- I though GM was trying to do better
    1- Might as well rush out and get a 2005 LaSabre before this thing replaces it

My Take-

Overall the Lucerne is a visually unoffending car. It has obvious Buick DNA, yet is just enough itself to stand out from the past cookie cutter Buicks. The interior looks nice, and the Northstar and safety features are value added.

Now for the bad news.....
    The Lucerne is a good car, especially in the current Buick context. However, if you were hoping for the proposed Lexus beater, you are out of luck (at least this time around). Sad fact is, this is just a revised LeSabre with the Northstar V8 from the soon to be dead Pontiac Bonneville GXP (which got the Northstar once the Aurora died). Worst of all, they dumped a classic name in LeSabre and gave it the dumbest name yet on a new GM car. I wonder if they have Safeway's in Detroit, because every time I hear Lucerne, I get a picture in my head of a carton of milk. I know it is also a city, but still, as much as GM clinics stuff, this had to come up. Between this, and the LaCrosse, Buick is 0 for 2 in renaming it's vehicles. I am no marketing expert, but I am guessing Lexus did not get where it is by naming it's cars after milk and certain unmentionable acts.

My understanding, if I have been hearing GM's rumblings right, is that they hope to remake Buick as an American Lexus. If the Lacrosse and milkmobile are GM's first true attempts at that goal, I have a hunch a bunch of money is about to be wasted. Depending on how maniacal GM gets with rebates (both are built on old platforms and have a lot of profit margin in them), Buick will be lucky to hold the line with these new models.

With all of this, it seems like Buick is really at a crossroads. It wants to completely change it's buyer demographic to the same one as Lexus without alienating it's current "advanced age" demographic. GM was in the same place a few years back when it has a lineup of geezermobile Cadillacs. To resurrect Cadillac, GM chose the Shock and Awe approach of fresh Art & Science design teamed with a vehicle engineered to compete toe to toe with it's competitors (Mercedes and BMW). No expense was spared, and now GM is laughing all the way to the bank. Think about it..five years ago, would anyone have imagined there being five Cadillacs capable of 0-60 in under 5 seconds. The great thing is, cars like the CTS, and STS appeal to a 24 year old the same as a 70 year old because they are well engineered, fantastic cars. This is the approach Buick sorely needs. The CTS was a game changer, the Lucerne is a player in the game past it's prime.

If GM wants to keep Buick in it's current market position, I say that's fine, but don't promise us a Lexus, and give us week old milk in a new box?

In closing, I give it a 3.
    Last edited by Branden; 02-10-2005 at 10:02 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content 14.9 @93mph
    2004 Trailblazer LT

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: GMI Snap Judgment- Rate the Buick Lucerne

Wow, I was like WTF when I first saw the poll result after I voted and It was 100% for (2). Then I noticed I was the first to vote.LOL.

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

Personally I think this car is very good EXCEPT it should have the 3.6L DOHC as the base engine. The 3800 is not a luxury motor, it's as Impala/Grand Prix motor. I am ok with it in the LaCrosse as that is an entry level Buick but there is no excuse for it in the Lucerne.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

After seeing the new Avalon I have to say it appears GM has once again fallen behind the moving target. It is better than the last generation Avalon.

But that is a used car now.

A Ford board member once said GM's line up looks like a used car parking lot.

Its good but not good enough.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

I gave it a three.
    It has ok styling (still looks kind of like a bigger Impala), and has a nice interior. I personally like it more than a Lexus. (style wise) However, it has a base engine that is less powerful than the one it replaced, it has fwd, its built on an ancient platform, and I can't even figure out how to say the name. The real test for Buick is when the Zetas come out. Cadillac wouldn't be anywhere without Sigma. I still have confidence that when Zeta comes out, Buick will have a revival, however if GM cuts corners with the zeta like they did with this car, Buick might go the way of Oldsmobile.
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

Thanks

I actually gave it 4. I think for a rework of an existing chassis, it is definitely a step in the right direction. Hopefully Buick will fully turn the corner next year, beginning with the Velite.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

I voted 2.
    Hidden Content
    God Bless the Blue Bullet.

Thanks

It's LeSabre... not LaSabre...

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Smilingoat's Avatar
    Thanks

i really dont feel that it has advanced nearly enouph to make it fully competitive in the market buick is reaching for. The biggest thing this car lacks is unique styling, much like the lacrosse.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

I gave it a 2. I would have rated it much higher but with the available powertrain the 2 rating spells it out perfectly (I though GM was trying to do better). This is not a $25,000 dollar Chevy daily driver so the rough 3.8 with 195hp is not acceptable and 275hp out of a 4.6 DOHC was good ten years ago but just enforces the fact that GM has fallen behind the competition in the one area where we could always count on, that being hp. By having a V8 with less hp than the competitions V6 and allowing it to be coupled with a 4 speed auto is a slap in the face to anyone that looks at a sticker that should be accompanied by some up to date powertrain hardware.

Thanks

They really could not have done any better refreshing this old car. The fact that the zetas are still a few years off is a sign of really really bad planning but they needed to redo this car, and the dts, and the impala, and the csvs before the new platforms do arrive.

Personally i think they did a very good job with the lucernce. The design is really elegant and it looks well built.

Thanks

I give it a 4. It looks great in pictures. Good looking interior. Probably should have an intermedite engine like the 240 horse Impala. Needs a 5 or 6 speed transmission for the Northstar.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member Branden's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdevil
    It's LeSabre... not LaSabre...
    I changed it. To be honest I pay the least attention to Buick of all GM brands.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content 14.9 @93mph
    2004 Trailblazer LT

Thanks

i gave it 4 becuase although its not perfect its definatly much better then any other buick

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 jro4566's Avatar
    Thanks

Overall, the Lucerne is a good car, but it is just simply outclassed by the new Avalon. There are almost no significant features found in the Lucerne that cannot be found on the Avalon. Add to that 2 engines that both have less horsepower than the Avalon, yet deliver lower fuel economy, and the Lucerne's shine starts to fade.

I rated it a 3.

2007 BMW 328i. Black sapphire metallic. Terra leather. Poplar wood. Automatic trans. Xenon adaptive headlights. BMW Assist. Bluetooth. Premium package. Heated seats. iDrive navigation system. Rear sonar. Comfort access. LOGIC7 surround sound. Sirius. 18" BMW wheels. Rear spoiler.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury. Black onyx pearl. Beige leather. 4WD. Chrome hood vents, mirror covers, exhaust. Silver grille, taillight trim. Brushed metal bumper protector. Running boards.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information