GMI ScreenShot featured on Autoweek

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMI ScreenShot featured on Autoweek

GMI Staff Member Premium Member TaHoE's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt

GMI ScreenShot featured on Autoweek

Hey everybody, does this forum look familiar:

Thanks to Z06 Tom for pointing it out to me, and how ironic, his name is on the screen shot...Hmmmmmm

Link Here: http://autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101358

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: GMI ScreenShot featured on Autoweek

Good stuff

Thanks

I posted this already in the suggest a article section.

That black ZO6 looks great.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member TaHoE's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt

Yup I noticed Diablo, thanks!

Thanks

i think its awsome that magazines use this site as an info sorce. and like diablo said that black Z06 is sweet

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TaHoE
    ...and how ironic, his name is on the screen shot...Hmmmmmm
    I like the EB one in that avatar better! I BET it's faster!

Note to GM: I swear, I don't know where these shots are coming from. "Hey, who's that knocking on my door? Hey honey, turn off the lights and hide the kids!!" :wall:

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

wow that guy in charge of the ZO6 release is gonna lose his job. Not only has every bit of info been released, but that whole thing about GM then threatening that guy is pretty ugly. I'm sure there is more to that story - maybe he's a disgruntled employee or something, but this is unexcuseable. If GM wants their info secret, then let the major sites in on the embargoes and then copyright and watermark the pics.
    Hidden Content
    "The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Ghrankenstein's Avatar
    Thanks

There is more to this article than just a GMI screenshot. We're listed as one of four examples of Corvette fanatic sites, later implied as "rogue websites" that deliberately violated the embargo on the shot, despite GM's "best efforts" to protect it.

I hate opening up this bee's nest again, but it looks like Autoweek has opened it for us.

Ghrankenstein
    NEW RIDE: 2008 Carp Poseidon (for fish-head delivery)
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Hehe - Autoweek called us a "corvette enthusiast" website! Think they missed the mark on that one!
    There is no replacement for displacement - except for the turbo in my basement Hidden Content
    2005 GTO Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member Branden's Avatar
    Thanks

Mr. Radigan called us a "rogue" website because he wants to make us a scapegoat for thier secuity failures. I can just here him talking to his supervisor.."But Mr.xxxxxx, we really wanna keep this information under wraps, but these "rogue" websites with thousands of people wildly devoted to our product are the devil and make it impossible". The problem starts with the source of the leak, which in every case GMI has had no connection to. We have simply been picking up news reported elsewhere. We are a news website...and unlike other (so called news) sites out there I see it as assenine to delete news once it is on about 15 other sites like the current Z06 pictures were when we posted them.

The funny thing is, GM likes to call this a "rogue" site, but we literally get millions of hits from their webservers...and have hundreds of members from their IPs. GM is consistantly our largest visitor...and it is everyone from people in brand, to assembly line workers, to executives. That is why I find this all so frustrating. GM says we are a "rogue" website and don't need embargo access or any other media access, yet on the same hand watches everything that happens here. They will be all over the site NAIAS time looking for opinions on all thier new releases. They take our access away, and they get pissed that we don't play the embargo police and remove stuff that may be embargoed (even though we don't know it because we don't have emabrago access). They need a reality check...without embargo access I have no stake in whether or not this stuff stays under wraps. It's not like I am getting rewarded by waiting till the embargo date...and even if I wanted to, I don't even know when the embargo date is. I have no trouble removing a picture that is copyrighted/embargoed...but GM has to tell me it is.

Last year during the holiday break, all the major mags went to print early and C6 pictures ended up all over the net. Since I had access to the embargoed info, I knew they were embargoed and would not allow them to be posted here. I even complained to Digital Corvettes and got laughed at (Embargo? Isn't that want we are doing to North Korea?). Since no one was at GM for the holidays, I just had to suck it up and wait. Later when talking to GM PR about it, I was told that breaking that embargo "Was fine, and sometimes planned because we want as much attention as we can on the cars". So GM has a double standard on this.

Also, the argument can be made that the info getting out early is good for GM, They release the Z06 at NAIAS, it is going to get drowned out by the 100 other car intros at that time. On the other hand, if "it shows up" on the internet a few weeks early, it will be the focus of the internet auto world...which is evidenced by how far the pictures have spread.

It is ridiculous the mess this has caused. We know one website banning members for posting these images so "they can get back in GM's good graces". I bet you get fair and objective reporting there. As for Autoweek not breaking embargoes, I find that quite hypocritical even just reading that article with an "Autoweek generated photo", and "estimated" performance numbers. Since they had access to the embargoed information, I bet it is rather accurate. Also the leaked Saturn Sky pictured from two weeks ago came from them.

Either way, all this is getting old.
    Last edited by Rex Raider; 12-10-2004 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typo
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content 14.9 @93mph
    2004 Trailblazer LT

Thanks

Cool Re: GMI ScreenShot featured on Autoweek

I would really like to see what GM does if/when they ever find the person who leaked these photos on to the internet. People really need to start taking these embargos more seriously.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I have a sense that GM may be making more of this specifically because it generates more intrigue about future products: "What's all this stuff about embargoed Z06 photos? I gotta get my hands on those photos. They must be hot." Any press is good press. And it seems like a great return on investment - a simple photo at barely no cost generates a great deal of buzz.

It serves them well that afficionados are dedicated to GM brands, and if this type of advanced information cements the devotion, so be it. On some level, GM must appreciate that.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know all the ins and outs of all this watermarking business, but if that's what it would take to protect their images, then it is no one elses fault except their own. I for one, love the fact that GMI is getting larger publicity in magazines and such. I hope that the larger publicity isn't causing a real headache for you admin and owners. Fair is fair. GM knows you have always stood by your word, which makes this the only website/forum I'll participate in. If pics were embargoed, they were treated as such here, regardless of what everyone else was doing. Personally I think that's deserving of some kind of award from GM whether it be some form of exclusivity to information that is soon to be released or however GM brass see fit. Cheers to GMI and <---It's Friday!
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

Thanks

I have to agree with tgagneguam. This is essentially free press for GM and it does nothing to hurt the intrigue surrounding the new Z06 or its appeal to enthusiasts.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Camaroz28lover's Avatar
    Thanks

when did they take away gmi's embargo access?
    **********Currently In My Garage**********
    '07 Aura XR
    '02 Accord LX

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information