GMI Marks New GM's 100th Day

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GMI Marks New GM's 100th Day

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's been over 100 days now, what all has changed?
    www.gminsidenews.com
    By: Nick Saporito
    Editor-in-Chief

“The General Motors Board of Directors authorized the filing of a chapter 11 case with regret that this path proved necessary despite the best efforts of so many.” That a statement from former General Motors Corporation Chairman Kent Kresa back on June 1st. After nearly seven months of government bailouts and restructuring effort, General Motors Corporation was left only to file for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Not only was it a pivotal day for the entire business world, but here at GMInsidenews June 1, 2009 has gone down in the record books as our highest traffic activity ever. The uncertainty that day brought for everyone that patronizes this site left morale within the automotive enthusiast community as low as I have ever seen it. The preceding month shed further light on the situation as GM cruised out of bankruptcy court in a record 38 days, breaching them of the old General Motors Corporation and saying hello to the new General Motors Company. Today New GM has just a touch over 100 days under its belt and GMInsidenews has spent the last two to three months analyzing New GM and its efforts.

Overall the editorial staff here at GMI is encouraged by the changes and efforts that have been implanted and demonstrated from New GM over the first 100 days of the company. New GM has a Board of Directors in place that appears to actually hold management accountable for their actions, a novel concept at a company that has had little Board intervention in the last twenty years. Perhaps the most encouraging sign yet is the placement of Ed Whitacre, former AT&T CEO, as Chairman of General Motors Company. The man seems to be just what the company needed; someone to rattle management’s cages and demand swift action to restructure the company quickly.

Additionally, New GM has launched some stellar new product since June 1st. The most-notable being the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox, which still today is selling almost as fast as dealerships can get them. Other post-bankruptcy products include: GMC Terrain, Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac SRX, Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon and Chevrolet Camaro. All of that and more is extensively covered in our Product section today.

In August General Motors sold more vehicles in China than they did in the United States. If that isn’t a sign that GM is truly a global company, we’re not sure what is. With that said, New GM has restructured its entire international operations since bankruptcy, making GM China the epicenter of the operations. Throw in the seemingly never-ending saga surrounding Opel in Europe, and it becomes clear that GM’s international operations have not had any short of news in the last 100 days either. Read all about it and our take on it in the International Operations section.

Our editorial staff has collectively issued New GM a grade of B for their efforts in the first 100 days out of bankruptcy. We’ve seen solid efforts all around, however we feel it wasn’t enough to warrant any better of a grade. One of our major sticking points is the seemingly lack of focus and direction out of the Cadillac brand, which we have been extremely vocal about and other mishaps we’ve found in the last 100 days; all detailed in our four sections. Those of us here at GMInsidenews know very well what GM is capable of and wish to see that capability fully utilized to build the GM we all have aspired to see over the last few years. We hope that GM reads this extensive editorial project and walks away knowing, constructively, what we feel needs improvement.

Please join GMInsidenews in looking back over the last 100 days of General Motors and the changes, products and opinions that have come with it. The Staff has worked immensely hard on this project and as Editor I truly want to thank all of them for their efforts. On that note, lets hope that the morale within the automotive enthusiast world continues to build up as I have noticed it doing over the last 100 days. Let the discussions here at GMInsidenews go back to the reason we all came here to being with: GM products. Going forward GMInsidenews hopes to continue bringing the latest news regarding GM, the most extensive information and the most complete editorial content on the web. Today marks day one of a GMInsidenews focused on being the center of the GM world and community.

Last edited by JoeT; 10-19-2009 at 09:12 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,650 Times in 1,375 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Re: GMI Marks New GM's 100th Day

Good work everyone. I'd have to agree with most if not all your points.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,008 Times in 3,387 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

I was hopping, they would finally release the 250 MPG carburator.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Don't they have one on the LS series crate motor?.....oh, MPG not MPH

Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

Quote Originally Posted by area51 View Post
    perhaps ed w should also take a play from his att days and change the name of the company to gm from GM
    Umm..... NO.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

yeah, they should open the vault and archives and dig through all the inventions they bought and killed for.

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I was hopping, they would finally release the 250 MPG carburator.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

Over all I'm pretty satisfied as well. Even though I may not have liked it all, they did what they had to do. And what they have done, as far as marketing goes is certainly headed in the right direction now, product as well. here's to hoping they dont screw it up!

Thanks

I agree. I think Gm needs to focus on Cadillac a bit more. It seems within the last week, Buick is getting 3-4 new vehicles. All GM is doing is different variations of the CTS. It's not entirely a bad thing, but it kind of gets old.
    Hidden Content

I don't go fishing, I go fish sticking. How do you think we get the fish sticks?

Thanks
    My Ride
    Buick !

Wow...100 days in business and already has 19% market share...thats incredible !

Quote Originally Posted by nsap
    June 1st. Not only was it a pivotal day for the entire business world, but here at GMInsidenews June 1, 2009 has gone down in the record books as our highest traffic activity ever. The uncertainty that day brought for everyone that patronizes this site left morale within the automotive enthusiast community as low as I have ever seen it.
    There were many members on this site that made it onto the window sill and were ready to jump...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ScottieDogFLA's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, yeah... Avis and Enterprise both put in huge purchase orders for Malibus and Cobalts; those G6s and G5s are going to need replacement soon. Not that big a victory, really.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfx View Post
    Wow...100 days in business and already has 19% market share...thats incredible !

There were many members on this site that made it onto the window sill and were ready to jump...

Thanks

Speaking from "somewhat" on the inside, a few points to consider.
    Yes to be sure, GM has recently introduced some winning products (i.e., Camaro, re-designed Equinox), but anything on the market now has been in development for at least three years, and in many cases much longer. They are all products of the "old GM."
    Decisions were made, designs approved, plants alotted, suppliers contracted, steel cut, prototypes tested and on and on, all conceived when Rick Wagoner was still in charge, long before any hint of bankruptcy or the so-called "new GM."
    GM has not significantly changed.
    Fritz has the same background, and is cut from the same cloth, as many of his predecessors. For things to really change, you need to really out the guys who are part of the long-bred culture that got GM to where it is today. Chairman Ed Whitacre is part and parcel of the "old world."
    In short, the "car guys" need to re-assume control from the "bean counters." What you are seeing in the media today is merely pablum, PR that is meant to placate the public and the government. Good old American marketing, and nothing more.
    But before anyone goes too gaga over this "new" product, understand where it really came from.
    And, understand I am not unequally bashing either the "new" or the "old" GM. They are both, at this point in time, the same.
    Last edited by batplasx; 10-21-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koasterking View Post
    I agree. I think Gm needs to focus on Cadillac a bit more. It seems within the last week, Buick is getting 3-4 new vehicles. All GM is doing is different variations of the CTS. It's not entirely a bad thing, but it kind of gets old.
    Dump Caddy for Buick as Buick is very strong in China and seen as a Status Brand sold over 1.3 million in China. Caddy in Europe had to be resued by GM as its importer went Chapter 7. Caddy is not strong outside the USA. Buick is a better fit and Buick should be Rear Wheel Drive entry level like Infiniti or Lexus. Maybe have one fwd midsize like lexus has with the es-300 and the rest be rear wheel drive....

vxl
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

What bothers me with the situation in China is what will happen once SAIC etc feel they're competent enough to "go it alone". Foreign manufacturers cannot produce in China without a local partner - what happens when that partner says "we don't need you anymore"?

Thanks

I agree with the B note. But I hope all the changes will finally do some good. They really need to improve from the ground up. There is a LOT to work on...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Chevrolet Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by batplasx View Post
    Speaking from "somewhat" on the inside, a few points to consider.
    Yes to be sure, GM has recently introduced some winning products (i.e., Camaro, re-designed Equinox), but anything on the market now has been in development for at least three years, and in many cases much longer. They are all products of the "old GM."
    Decisions were made, designs approved, plants alotted, suppliers contracted, steel cut, prototypes tested and on and on, all conceived when Rick Wagoner was still in charge, long before any hint of bankruptcy or the so-called "new GM."
    GM has not significantly changed.
    Fritz has the same background, and is cut from the same cloth, as many of his predecessors. For things to really change, you need to really out the guys who are part of the long-bred culture that got GM to where it is today. Chairman Ed Whitacre is part and parcel of the "old world."
    In short, the "car guys" need to re-assume control from the "bean counters." What you are seeing in the media today is merely pablum, PR that is meant to placate the public and the government. Good old American marketing, and nothing more.
    But before anyone goes too gaga over this "new" product, understand where it really came from.
    And, understand I am not unequally bashing either the "new" or the "old" GM. They are both, at this point in time, the same.
    BINGO!

Let's celebrate in 5 years if things continue to progress, until then, let's be cautious in the achievements we mark.
    CHEVROLET SILVERADO

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information