GMI Makes News Again

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GMI Makes News Again

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

GMI Makes News Again

RIP: Chevy kills off Monte Carlo

A member of the GM Inside News forum posted today that he received an email from General Motors announcing the end of the Monte Carlo. We rang up the General for confirmation and received word that the Monte Carlo is indeed being offed. May 4th will reportedly be the last day you can order a Monte Carlo and production of the car at GM's Oshawa plant in Canada will cease on June 20th. Apparently production of the Monte Carlo is being cancelled to make room for all those extra Malibu orders the automaker is expecting when the new 2008 model sedan begins production in October. This is the sixth generation Monte Carlo, and when asked if we'd see the name return on a new model in the near future, we got the canned answer from GM, "We do not comment on future product." Sigh. Monte Carlo sales were off 64.2% in January of 2007 with only 1,639 units being sold. In 2006, 34,113 units were sold, a slight improvement over 2005.

link: http://carbuying.autoblog.com/2007/0...f-monte-carlo/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

Re: GMI makes new again

Good deal, glad we are being seen outside of our realm!!

Thanks

Re: GMI makes news again

I love it when i hear about GMI in the news, b/c I feel like we all contribute here although the mods have their insider connection and really make this site work,...we all as members bring some perspective, something to the table even if we disagree (like every thread just about) hahahaha. Its good to be a part of this site, I didn't know about it till my bro. showed me it, and now he frequents a cobalt site and I am the mainstay here from my family.

CobaltSScrazy

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Vlissengen's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: GMI Makes News Again

Always good to see GMI getting press.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,371 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by racy
    RIP: Chevy kills off Monte Carlo

A member of the GM Inside News forum posted today that he received an email from General Motors announcing the end of the Monte Carlo. We rang up the General for confirmation and received word that the Monte Carlo is indeed being offed. May 4th will reportedly be the last day you can order a Monte Carlo and production of the car at GM's Oshawa plant in Canada will cease on June 20th. Apparently production of the Monte Carlo is being cancelled to make room for all those extra Malibu orders the automaker is expecting when the new 2008 model sedan begins production in October. This is the sixth generation Monte Carlo, and when asked if we'd see the name return on a new model in the near future, we got the canned answer from GM, "We do not comment on future product." Sigh. Monte Carlo sales were off 64.2% in January of 2007 with only 1,639 units being sold. In 2006, 34,113 units were sold, a slight improvement over 2005.

link: http://carbuying.autoblog.com/2007/0...f-monte-carlo/
    Sad to hear about the Monte Carlo but I was a little alarmed when the new one did not offer side curtain air bags (there is a seat mounted side bag option).

When they did away with the LT trim for 2007 (most likely the best seller) it looked even worse. Hopefully GM will offer a new Monte Carlo on the Zeta or at least the Epsilon.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 chevydlrmn's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Silverado Z71 6.2

It was completely neglected, on purpose or not. Maybe a switch to Epsilon to debut with Malibu should have been done. My wife likes her 05 better than the 07.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 782 Posts

Chevy should make a 2 door version of the Malibu and call it Malibu Chevelle. This way sales would count towards total Malibu numbers.It should be AWD.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, this made autoblog a few days ago. =D
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    02' C5 Cp, 03' Vibe,14' Encore

I am surprised you guys didn't know, the news was out about a week and half ago. I forgot where I read it though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve333
    Chevy should make a 2 door version of the Malibu and call it Malibu Chevelle. This way sales would count towards total Malibu numbers.It should be AWD.
    This is a good idea-just like toyota with the "Camry Solara". At first I didn't know if I like the idea of calling a non-rwd car Chevelle but I'm over it.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Toyota Aygo City Car. :-)

Great to see how much power GMI has in the GM's world.
    As for the Monte Carlo, may she rest in peace. She was
    reglected severely in engineering and design areas, and
    was sadly behind the times.
    Previously owned Camaro's ;
    1973 RS
    1977 Z28
    1980 Z28
    1982 Z28
    2000 Z28

Previously owned Corvette;

Current ride;
    2008 Toyota Aygo city car

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

Quote Originally Posted by steve333
    Malibu Chevelle? I know the reasoning behind that thought, but it doesnt and couldnt work. While they were pretty much one in the same at a point in time..they are essentially two completely differant vehicles in people's eyes. They should jsut make a Malibu coupe and leave it at that..no special name..GM history and heritage isnt a toy box that we can just pull things out of and play with when ever we feel bored and want to show off all the cool things of our past.

Thanks

No offense to Monte Carlo owners but I always get a little chuckle when I see someone driving a new one. All I can think of is Dale Jr. wannabe....could the Monte be any more redneck?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Maybe they could bring the Monte Carlo back in 2010 on the Epsilon II platform as a Malibu Coupe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenman923
    Maybe they could bring the Monte Carlo back in 2010 on the Epsilon II platform as a Malibu Coupe.
    I agree. A Malibu Monte Carlo makes more sense than a Malibu Chevelle. I doubt,however,we will see a coupe version of a Malibu because of the Camaro.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information