GMI Driving Volt, Questions?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GMI Driving Volt, Questions?

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

GMI will be at the Volt media drive later this week.
    www.gminsidenews.com
    October 12, 2010
    By: Nick Saporito

This Sunday GMI will be heading to Detroit for the 2011 Chevrolet Volt national media drive. During the event GMI will get plenty of time behind the wheel of Chevrolet's controversial E-REV sedan as well as see the production process at the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant that produces the Volt.

The Volt drive marks the first GM North America media drive GMI has been invited to. Later this month GMI will also be attending the Holden Barina Spark media drive in Sydney, Australia.

If any users have any questions regarding the Volt or photo/video requests, please post them here. We will try out best to address everyone's concerns about the car in our coverage of the event.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,243 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Re: GMI Driving Volt, Questions?

I want to know what's in store for Volt 2.0?
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

I guess my question is which makes more financial sense, a fully loaded Cruze at $22K or a full loaded Volt at $44K? If the Cruze has the seat comfort and interior room of the Volt wouldn't the Cruze make more sense?
    Dont the Cruze ads mention that it makes more sense than a hybrid?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

How seamless is the transion between modes? Also how long does GM anticipate the life span of the current car to be? Meaning when do they anticipate and "all new volt" or will there even be one?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,171 Times in 4,398 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    I want to know what's in store for Volt 2.0?
    Nice sig, TruckMan.

How far will it Cruze @ 80 before that infernal IC injun kicks in?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Barry Badrinath's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 300C AWD

Are the horns and tail really a dealer installed option? If so, cost????
    It took 30 years to realize I DO like Corinthian leather...

Thanks

I'd like to see some real cost per mile numbers. Not Hypermilling, not drag racing, rather average mid throttle driving, but done for 25, 40, 100 and 300 miles so I can see real cost per mile to drive a volt.

I'd like to see it start with a full battery and run each distance and then see how much electricity it really takes to recharge so I can calculate cost. Seeing mileage estimates range from 30-230 MPG has made this something I won't belive until I see it now.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,243 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by XCR440SP View Post
    I'd like to see some real cost per mile numbers. Not Hypermilling, not drag racing, rather average mid throttle driving, but done for 25, 40, 100 and 300 miles so I can see real cost per mile to drive a volt.

I'd like to see it start with a full battery and run each distance and then see how much electricity it really takes to recharge so I can calculate cost. Seeing mileage estimates range from 30-230 MPG has made this something I won't belive until I see it now.
    I can already give you a ballpark figure for this question. Given the extrordinary cost of the car compared to other cars its size, it is probably has the highest cost of ownership of any similarly sized car. If cost is most important to you, buy a Cruze.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    I guess my question is which makes more financial sense, a fully loaded Cruze at $22K or a full loaded Volt at $44K? If the Cruze has the seat comfort and interior room of the Volt wouldn't the Cruze make more sense?
    Dont the Cruze ads mention that it makes more sense than a hybrid?
    IMHO, Cruze makes more financial sense. As far as understanfgGM and everybody who is involved in supporting and promoting Volt are not doing it in the hope of people choosing it over other mass market compact sedans.

All Volt boosters including GM, see it as a first step in a decade long journey towards alternative propulsion technology. Volt will initially be bought buy wealthy people attracted to its cutting edge technology. As battery tech improves and charging infrastructure improves it will steadily increase its market base.

A better question would be is it a better buy than a Prius when it comes to the financial equation. I would have to say based on all the numbers (fuel efficiency, cost) I have seen, Prius has the edge.

It will be interesting how much improvement (cost, efficiency) there will be in Volt 2.0.

Thanks

I want to know how much quicker the Volt is in electric mode vs. the ICE when the battery is drained.
    Last edited by CrunkedRL; 10-12-2010 at 11:03 AM.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I just want to know...which nut you have to sacrifice to be able to test-drive one? Hehehe...j/k!

I am curious as how far along are they on the 2.0 version? Will the Li battery or other battery technology improve much in the next 4 years?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Can it do a burnout?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

1.) More information on the conditions that will result in the ICE being coupled to the wheels.

2.) MPG after battery reaches depletion.

3.) How much of the 16kW battery will be used initially.

4.) Is it possible to replace a battery cell as opposed to the whole battery to bring a vehicle back up to warranty "range" as the cells begin to wear out.

5.) More information about battery management. I assume the battery is used and will "wear" evenly over the entire portion being used (say 8 - 10 kW at first) - is this the case or will the "lower" 10% become "more warn and less usable" over time first - followed by more of the battery?

6.) Any word on EPA ratings?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Great job, cool that you've been given this chance by GM! Enjoy it! I'm curious to know how it feels... one would assume that the batteries down low in the floor might both make it feel heavy bulky, but might also make it feel firm and well-planted.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Can you take lots of photos and maybe some video of the Volt's user interface? How customizable is the display on the LCD screens? I'd also love to hear your impressions on how easy the Volt's haptic controls and touchscreen interface are to use.
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information