GMI Covers New York Auto Show 2010!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GMI Covers New York Auto Show 2010!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yours truly hits NY's Javits Center for this years auto show
    www.gminsidenews.com
    By: Alexander Villani

The Great City of New York

The great city of New York opens its doors to the worlds automakers as it shows off its brand new vehicles to America's largest city. For this city, everyone tries to bring their A-game, but not every one hits a home run. In the city full of champions, the weak are usually chewed up and spat out. With the new movement towards making more fuel efficient cars, everyone brought out new high efficient, hybrid, and electric models to show off their respective technology. But that does not mean that the performance aspect of the industry will be left in the cold. New York City demands both performance enhancement without a sacrifice in fuel economy. GM continues its rolling out of new product, showing off great new stuff. Centered around the new Volt, Chevy launches two new Cruze models: an gas-friendly Eco model, and a sporty RS appearance package. At GMC, they brought the Granite concept, showing off a new way to offer Professional Grade. Buick had on display its hottest new star, the LaCrosse and its up and coming hero, the Buick Regal and Regal GS. Cadillac finished the homicidal triad by showing off the CTS-V Wagon, offering the hottest wagon on the market in extra spicy flavor. So lets take a tour of my feelings towards GM and others new stuff, shall we?

Chevrolet Shows off its Cruze RS

First off is Chevy, and its new hot sedan the Chevy Cruze. This was the first time I got to sit inside the Cruze, and I am very impressed with the interior of the car. When compared to the likes of the Focus, its a lot less busy, but offering similar levels of quality. Moving to the two new trims, the Eco model was the most interesting, while the RS was disappointing. Chevrolet did a lot of work to reduce the mass of the Cruze for the Eco model as well as improve the aerodynamics. Cruze Eco gets some thinner body panels, enhanced under body aerodynamic modifications, lower ride height, and forged aluminum 17" wheels wrapped in low-rolling resistance hoops. The biggest and coolest feature is the ability to stop air from going into the engine bay through the grill as it is blocked off by electronic actuated vents that force air flow around the car, capping off the advancements for this great car. I think that offering this car as an alternative to a hybrid, plug in, or even Chevy's own EREV Volt. By offering this model to replace the XFE, you no longer have to go for the basement price model for the greatest fuel economy. GM had the Eco model colored in a light baby blue color, and inside it was equipped with a Navigation screen and upgraded interior materials.

You can hide, but you will not be able to outrun the new Caprice 9C1

The Caprice PPV/9C1 car was also on display for the media, and man this car has a presence! Outside the car is familiar looking, with its G8 styled nose, with an very Impala-esque tail section. But the massive wheel base, and aggressive fender flares gives the car a much more muscular stance. The car was covered in police bodging and light system, and wearing large 17 inch steel wheels, it completed the package. Inside, all the cool cop gadgetry enhances the officer's ability to do their job day in and day out. There is a forward looking camera mounted under the advanced rear view mirror, which displays the image from the camera much like the rear-view camera systems in some GM vehicles. The mirror also has several buttons to select modes and information. The Caprice should really serve police departments nation wide well, like all the Caprice's before it.

Darth Vader, your wagon has arrived

Over at Cadillac, they brought the power out, debuting the new CTS-V Wagon. The vehicle will be limited in availability, but its going to be one of the hot tickets for at least the next year or so. The sleek design of the wagon, melded in with the brute power and additional features that come with a V-tuned vehicle. To make sure the wagon was not lonely, a CTS-V sedan and coupe were there to help complete this trio of power. Cadillac did not bring its much talked about XTS concept car, for whatever reason. If there was ever a market for a large super-luxury sedan, and a hybrid model at that, it is NYC? Seems like a missed chance to display one of Cadillac's newest and coolest concept, something that got great reviews and lots of coverage at Detroit.

Buick's last chance to regain its past

Buick brought several of its new great selling sedan, the LaCrosse and its highly anticipated little brother, the Regal. Both cars easily out shined everything at GM. Only thing missing was a hybrid model, and that would have turned Buick into the best thing going. The LaCrosse continues to be a bright light for Buick, offering one of the best interiors of not only GM, but in its class. We can only hope that the Regal keeps this momentum going forward. If the reaction of you guys and gals on this site is any indication of its reception, I think Regal could be a true sell out for Buick. I did also get to see, tragical, the new halogen headlights that will be standard. When looking over at the GS concept, it hit me how sharp and cool the projectors are, with the integrated LEDs. It adds a different level of luxury and a splash of technological coolness that only LED's can provide. There is something missing at Buick that is keeping it from being a true complete brand. I could not put my finger on it. A coupe? A small roadster? A large flag ship? A small CUV? I am still not 100% on what it is, but it needs to really Carry the Buick brand into the future, and bring the next wave of Buick design.

Over at GMC, the quiet giant remains quiet. They brought the Granite to New York, a great car for this brand. GMC needs to offer something unique with this car. Maybe use the Opel bike rack system, something that is built into the car's twins in Europe. This car could appeal to the fans of the new Box car trend, and if the concept's 1.4 liter turbocharged engine and dual-clutch transmission were to ever be put into production, the fun factor would be dialed up to a new level for cars in this segment. There is also a large untouched market for these cars in the commercial area, an area that GMC's bigger trucks and SUV's have plenty of dominance in. The Granite could become a great small contractor's truck, or even a delivery vehicle. I could see Granite owners painting it black, running a red stripe up the side of it, and making it a mini A-Team truck! This little guy holds the keys to really open GMC up to a new market.

GM has lots of bright lights in its line up, and it is a matter of time before more and more people start to really fall in love with the new GM. The new focus on quality and design for all four brands will help strengthen the brand more and more, and it is seen in every new GM car. The Cruze has an interior that is on par with the last generation CTS, complete with features and amenities that are still not seen on other Chevy products. But GM still has a tall hill to climb, and it just got a little (read: a lot) big harder to climb as the Koreans have released two class-leading midsized sedans with the new Sonata and the new Optima. These two cars will not only make it hard for GM to shine through, but for any car in this class. GM will have to push harder and faster than they have ever done, because the others are not going to sit back and watch Hyundai eat their lunch. Is GM up to the task? When you come to a city that in which there is no room for second place, GM will have to take yet another leap into the future. GM seems to have the tools, but we all know that even if GM has the tools, it does not automatically mean that it will know how to use them.

The new Cruze in my personal favorite color

Cruze Eco's vents seen through the grill...sort of

Camaro in Synergy Green. Clearly a color that needs to be offerd for all Chevrolet vehicles. And yes, that is Tom Peters

Editors Note: Due to the fact that my horrid digital camera failed on me with in the first handful of shots, so I had to rely on the powerful 3.2 megapixle camera (with auto focus) on the back of my Blackberry Storm. I am ever so sorry for the lack of detailed and crystal clear pictures for the readers of this site.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: GMI Covers New York Auto Show 2010!

I agree with you sentiments on Buick, they're are missing something. I think a flagship (A true large sedan, not necessarily RWD.), a Regal coupe, a hybrid LaCrosse, and a smaller cuv would fill in Buick just fine. My only concern with the Cruze is how it will compare to the upcoming Focus, especially when it comes to looks inside and out. More than anything GM needs to bring the SS trim back to the Cruze ASAP. 2.0T like in the old one but 6 speed auto's/manuals.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

Synergy Green - love it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 StormHunter77's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought that dark Cruze was a Malibu at first. It looks great in that color!

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post

First off is Chevy, and its new hot sedan the Chevy Cruze.

You are TOO funny!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post

You are TOO funny!
    You're just upset that I didn't move your toyota thread...

Cruze is a hot car.

As for Cruze vs Focus...its gunna be a tight battle.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mustapha Mond's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

Great write up! What a treat it must be to actually be there. Thanks for highlighting the Cruze eco features. I wonder why they don't incorporate some of these into every Cruze though?

Edit:
    I think the Cruze RS front end, grille in particular, is a vast improvement over the base model. Without projectors though it's a fail. It is too bad RS doesn't dress up that revolting black plastic wedge at the c pillar.
    End edit.

I'm counting on Buick to make a Regal coupe to replace my tiny little G5 in a couple of years. Tell everyone there who matters how much Regal needs to be offered with two doors please.
    Last edited by Mustapha Mond; 04-06-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: forgot stuff

Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 535 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Thanks for the pictures, first time i have seen the Cruze in black, I think it looks pretty good.
    Hidden Content

New Aluminum body? GM don't currr

6.2 for life

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I went to the Midnight Madness preview charity event last Thursday night and like you my camera failed (dead battery). Didn't have my cell camera to backup though. The color for that dark Cruze was Imperial Blue of Impala and Colorado past fame per the tear sheet on the car. In the press area GM had some covered cars that were leaving the show before the public opening last Friday. One was the Orlando I was told by a GM rep.
    Current Driveway Fleet:
    2017 Chevrolet Trax Premier
    2016 Malibu Hybrid
    2013 Sonic LTZ HB
    2003 Porsche Boxster S (sunny days and track events)
    April 2008 to August 2017 - 2008 Colorado CrewCab Z71 RWD. 81K miles and 21.2 mpg with a great truck
    May 2014 to June 2016 - Cruze Diesel - 36.8 mpg over 33K miles with best tank of 50.2 mpg
    April 2012 to May 2014 - Chevy Volt - 3 tanks of gas in 12.2K miles.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,371 Posts

Great summary of the show Alexander,

To me, Buick's most important vehicle in establishing the brand will be the small Buick "Astra" sedan.

Yes, that may not sound right , but think about the current economy and the impact an attractive, well equipped (hopefully) and efficient (35+ MPG) car will have in the market and the volume it can sell. I think it will do very well in volume as long as Buick does not "Avistize" it.

As you mentioned, the Cruze interior size is impressive in person although the exterior has some weak points, nothing terrible for it's purpose, but something that can be improved - enter the Buick "Astra" that delivers the whole package with a brand name that more import buyers are finding appealing based on the LaCrosse conquest rates, add in loyal Buick buyers an you have a strong base to build upon. Next consider that many of those new Enclave, LaCrosse and Regal owners will want a "second car" that is easy to drive/park and gets great MPG to compliment either the family hauling Enclave, Sport sedan Regal or Luxury Sedan LaCrosse and the "Astra" will be a perfect choice.

Many other luxury owners will want out of their current expensive car and the option of being able to buy an "Astra" and Regal for the same price will be attractive.

There will also be many buyers who want a Regal or LaCrosse but need to pull back to a lower price choice, again the "Astra" will fill the bill and get them into the Buick brand so they can "move up" later.

Speaking of "moving up", Buick needs the Park Avenue and when the next gen is released there needs to be one for the U.S. market.

The answer to whether Buick needs a coupe, small roadster, large flag ship or a small CUV is Yes to all four since I think Buick has turned the corner already as far as being a profitable part of GM's future, now GM needs to load it up.
    Last edited by SierraGS; 04-05-2010 at 10:29 PM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Sierra Denali Ultimate

Buick could use the Riviera!

ANT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo

What the hell i didnt see the caprice when i went!

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

great write up and love the pics especially
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

First off is Chevy, and its new hot sedan the Chevy Cruze... Moving to the two new trims, the Eco model was the most interesting, while the RS was disappointing.
    Ok, we got the punchline but what exactly didn't you like about the RS package?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac of my choosing

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Ok, we got the punchline but what exactly didn't you like about the RS package?
    Its an appearance package that is light appearance. Foglights? That should be an option regardless. The RS needs to bring in projector headlights or something. To make it actually stand out.
    Hidden Content

2013 Cadillac ATS, Cadillac demo...
    Past: 2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast