GM: 2006 Review, 2007 Preview

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM: 2006 Review, 2007 Preview

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

2006 Review
    By: NSAP
    January 1, 2007

2006 will likely be a year that makes it’s way into non-fiction books about General Motors. It has been a year of do or die for a company that took a $10 Billion loss the previous year. Assets have been sold off, plant closures have been announced, and employee buyouts were taken. However, through all of the bad PR that has taken place in 2006, more good has came out of it than bad.

Last year my review was rather gloomy, and the future of GM was uncertain at best. Fortunately that bad PR I referred to above has made things slightly improved in 2006. Quarterly results, while not great, have not been too bad in 2006 and have actually beat Wall Street analysts predictions, along with record revenue. That can be accredited to two things; Wagoner’s cost-cutting, and the GMT-900 vehicles.

To me, this past year has been a good one. GM has improved greatly, from a business and product standpoint. One can say they have FINALLY woke up and realized the world is not revolving around them, and half-baked products.

The Big Deal in 2006

Saturn. That is ALL I have to say. Saturn’s revitalization started in 2006, something that will be remember by any GM die-hard. They launched the Sky, followed by the Aura and now the Outlook. All three products are getting reviews that only every automaker wishes they could have. Saturn is GM’s savior, no doubt about it. Their revitalization started late in the year, so just how successful the brand will be is yet to be determined. I will say this though; Saturn’s buying experience, combined with the stellar product they have now…can only equal success.

As I said, the sales numbers have yet to reflect the new product (although Saturn is in the black for the year), but give it time….they will. The division that launched GM’s first competitive midsize sedan has plenty of room to be something wonderful.

Something interesting, the Sky roadster has a turnover rate of about 13 days, same with the new Vue Green Line hybrid SUV. The Sky is no surprise, but the Vue GL’s turn rate is sort of shocking. It has gotten mixed reviews from the media, but maybe, just maybe, the public likes simple hybrids that are cheap. Long term sales will further tell the story. Nonetheless, it’s safe to say that Saturn is the new trendy brand at GM that has potential to garner much success monetarily and emotionally for GM.

Pricing

GM accomplished one thing in 2006 that I feel they never received enough credit for. In December 2005 they announced the GM Total Value Promise for all 2006 model vehicles. The new pricing strategy lowered the sticker price of nearly all GM products; some by as much as $3,000. Contrary to what some will say, the pricing has worked. GM has had the lowest incentive cost of all the Detroit Big Three companies all year. Granted, the incentive spending is still high, but when you factor in the fact that the Big Three have a huge perception problem in the U.S., a decent amount of incentives are to be expected.

Part of the new Total Value Promise is GM’s new 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. This was a huge step forward in changing the perceptions of those who will no longer even consider a GM product. However, the day GM implements AT LEAST a four year/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on ever vehicle they sale, I don’t feel they have taken enough steps.

Profitability

Possibly the moment in 2006 that I remember reading the most in regards to GM is when I read the article quoting Lutz saying that the Cobalt is now a profitable product. Mind you, that is the FIRST time a small car at GM has ever been profitable. That alone should tell you that 2006 has been a milestone year for GM, a good milestone. Getting all of their vehicles to a level of profitability is key to the turnaround, so they no longer have to rely on large SUV’s and trucks to remain in the black.

Divisional Reviews

There really isn’t much to say about our old friend Buick. The Lucerne launched with, to my surprise, decent reviews and sales. It’s done good in the market thus far, with fleet sales at a minimum. Don’t confuse “good” with “stellar” though, because the Lucerne is not the reviving product Buick needs. There is, however, a product that may just do that. It’s called Enclave. Sadly it will not make it’s way to anxious Buick dealers in 2006, but it was revealed. It is staying very, very true to the original concept, and should bring some much needed life back into Buick. Overall sales are still down at Buick, but expect them to be. Buick is officially part of the B-P-G channel, and will never sell at the volumes it did when it had seven models.

2006 has really not been a big year for Cadillac; I would call it just another step in the stairs to being “The Standard of the World.” Possibly the biggest news from Caddy in 2006 was that they dropped advertising agency Leo Burnett for the new comer on the block, Modernista. Likewise, they dropped the Breakthrough tagline in favor for Life. Liberty. And the Pursuit. An interesting new tagline that, I personally, think is a great one. The former campaign was very in-your-face and bold; one could say it fit Cadillac…breaking through and making their initial comeback to the luxury market. Now they are more mature, and this new ad campaign is way more mature, and really shows Cadillac is becoming a competitor in the big leagues. Along with the new ad campaign came the new Escalade (of COURSE!). Response has been as good as one could expect. Oh, and it won’t be loosing it’s “King of Bling” title anytime soon.

Chevrolet has had a milestone year. Why? Because of the GMT-900 launch of course! Let’s see, we have a new Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, and Silverado. All of which were in DIRE need of replacement. Reviews of all the vehicles have been nothing short of great, and the market has taken notice (however reluctantly). Unfortunately the new Silverado is just arriving now, so it will not make much impact on Chevrolet’s sales race against the Ford brand. Last year Chevrolet became the best-selling brand in America, we will see if they do so again. Other than the GMT-900 launch (the largest launch in GM history, by the way), we had the launch of the new Aveo. It’s a good little car, but is in serious need of a new powertrain that can get better gas mileage.

GMT-900. That is all I have to say about GMC for 2006. I decent percentage of their lineup consist of 900-based vehicles, so they are a rather fresh brand. Not to mention the new Acadia, which is arriving at dealership as I type this. Sales have been down for the year, but they haven’t been too bad considering GMC is a lineup of nothing but SUV’s and trucks.

Some call them posers, some praise them as the best SUV’s on the planet. Call it what you wish, but Hummer has had a good year in 2006. Almost 100% of that greatness has came from the new H3. Hummer is one of only two GM divisions to have sales numbers that are in the black; up just over 32% for the year. They have sold nearly 49,000 H3’s (as of the end of November), which far exceeds all GM and third-party expectations. Not bad for a truck that was hugely underpowered.

Although many will disagree with me, but Pontiac has had a decent year. Yes, their sales are down, but there is something people need to understand. Pontiac isn’t going to be a high-volume brand. It’s now a niche brand, that will have a mid-range sales level once the sales actually level off. We did just get the new, rebadged G5 this year, taking Pontiac back a step in it’s pursuit to be a performance brand. I can’t stress enough how much of a mistake it was to sell the G5 in the U.S. Pontiac needs better, otherwise they are a pointless division. On a much lighter note, the G6 line has done relatively well in 2006, having just over a 60% conquest rate during the summer. That is very good for a car that has been on the market over a year.

I had read that Saab was on track to break a world-wide sales record. I haven’t heard if that is actually going to happen or not, but they could do better nonetheless. Saab and Volvo probably have the hardest time of any brands in North America at finding their place in the market and capitalizing on it. They are good with safety and generally make some interesting products, but its hard for many to justify buying one when now just about every product has to be extremely safe. I firmly believe Saab has a lot of potential, but until GM gives them the ability to make their own products, that just isn’t going to happen.

Conclusion

Every year in this article I come up with one word that describes GM for the last year. I had a hard time coming up with one at first, but then I realized the best word to use has been used at least a thousand times this year. Turnaround. 2006 will go down in history as the year that GM started, and actually made a decent amount of headway in their turnaround. Their stock is back in the $30.00 range, most of the new products are doing very well and getting excellent reviews and quarterly reports haven’t been so deep in the red.

We can only hope that 2007 will bring what 2006 did, but multiplied by about 100 (sans the small quarterly looses). With the new products that are launching now; such as the Saturn Aura and Lambda crossovers, plus the products coming soon; like the Saturn Astra, 2008 Chevrolet Malibu and 2008 Cadillac CTS…things should continue to progress for GM. It all comes back to that word, turnaround. Just keep the momentum going GM.

Facts

Assets Sold;
    • 7.9% Stake of Isuzu Motors to Toyota
    • 17.4% Stake of Suzuki
    • 51% of GMAC to Cerberus Led Consortium
    Recalls;
    • 123,719 Holden products for side impact air bags.
    • 38,349 GM trucks in North America because of a potential fuel leak.
    • 30,793 2005-2006 Corvette’s due to roofs flying off.
    • 400,000 trucks for faulty brake lights.
    • 900,000 GM trucks due to tailgate cable.
    TOTAL of ANNOUNCED Recalled Vehicles: 1,492,861*
    For comparison sake, TOTAL Toyota Vehicles Recalled: 1,828,659*

*According to my count

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: GM: 2006 Review, 2007 Preview

The Year in Preview - 2007; "The Momentum Year"
    by ChevroletRevived

Thanks NSAP, and yes, what a year! It seems as if there has been non stop action. Exciting auto show debuts, then the alliance proposal in the usual summer "dead" period. GM's stock rolled a rollercoaster from a low of $18 to a high of around $36, settling at about $29. Now the excitement's getting spooled up all over again as the automakers get ready for 2007's major international auto shows. No doubt, 2007 is going to be a very exciting year. GM will continue momentum at an even greater pace, fueled by 2006's important launches. The product lineup will be fresh and modern, as new products propel retail sales and Value Pricing continues to take hold. As for new launches, the most exciting introductions and debuts of this auto show season are right around the corner. We;ve already seen sneek previews of the 2008 CTS the 2008 Malibu. Those are two products I've got my eye on; I'm really looking forward to seeing the both the press's and the public's reaction to the CTS and the Malibu. NYAIS is knocking at the door and it promises to be a real treat for us GM fans. There may even be some suprise intros on 2007's Auto Show Circuit. Who knows for sure? That's what makes the auto show season so exciting!

What to Look Forward to in 2007; 07 in A Nutshell:

More Substantial Profits - 2007 will start out with $9 billion less in structural costs then 2006. Even based on 2006's sales results, the cuts would automatically put GM deep into the black.
    Increased Retail Sales, Average Prices, Market Share Increase and Stabilization on the back of the ramp up of 2006 launches Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia and GMT-900 Trucks.
    Contract Negotiations- (What Fun!) - A pivotal point in GM's History; the outcome of these negotiation has a huge effect on the competitiveness of GM in the future. If these turn out wrong, GM will be handicapped in it's ability to fully turnaround for years to come.
    Stock Increases - Now's the time to buy
    The Saturn Effect - You'll start seeing the results of Saturn's product revival effect GM's bottom line, market share and retail sales numbers.

2007; Saturn's Year

Declining sales and dated product defined Saturn in most of the 2000's. However, a few years ago a brilliant plan was put into motion that may just be the single most important piece of the GM turnaround. Because of that plan, Saturn is now GM's most effective weapon in retaining and conquesting buyers. In just two years, the quirky brand has undergone a complete lineup revolution. Saturn now is one of the coolest and most modern in the GM stable. Once recently introduced (and or/confirmed) models hit the market, Saturn will have an extensive new lineup, of which includes:

Sky/Sky RL
    Aura/Aura GL/Aura RL
    08 Vue
    Outlook CUV
    08' Astra

Looking for a landmark introduction? You've found it in the Astra. No car typifies GM's commitment to Saturn more then it. Virtually identical to it's Opel counterpart, the Astra is being built in the same European plant as the Opel and is being imported to the US, where it'll be competing in the burgeoning premium hatch/small car market. It's a hip new market segment; it's entries include the Audi A3 and Mini, both of which are very successful and well received in U.S Metro markets. The Astra will be no different; I applaud GM for acting fast and fielding an entry in this up and coming new segment of the market. European small cars have a lot to offer; the Astra will come with features like adaptive projector headlamps, navigation and a dynamic driving system. For a GM compact, this is unprecedented.

The Aura sedan is one of the finalists for the North American Car of The Year Award (NACOTY). A few years ago, who would have thought? GM's ability to produce such a competent mid-size car has suprised many. There are a lot of new products on the market for 2007, so this years award is very competitive. The fact that the Aura's a finalist is remarkable. And to think, naysayers proclaimed the Aura was a failure. Want more evidence that the Saturn revolution is real? How about the Outlook, which has garnered some of the most positive reviews I've ever seen. Or the Sky! How's that for a job well done?

A brand that two years ago was irrelevant is now suddenly bursting to the seams with impressive new product. Saturn's "image" is pretty much nonexistent within most of the public. Image is very important, so this is a very big plus. It gives GM the chance to craft a new brand "image" and perception. Green image building hybrids, excellent dealer satisfaction/quality scores and some great products. It all works together to create an impressive package. Saturn is now a huge asset to GM. GM has finally given Saturn the attention and wherewithal to succeed once again.

Launch List

2007's Launches:

2008 Cadillac CTS - All-New
    2008 Cadillac STS - Mid Cycle Enhancement (MCE)
    2008 Buick Enclave - All-New
    2008 Chevrolet Malibu - Heavy MCE
    2008 Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon - MCE
    2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid
    2008 GMT-900 Truck Hybrids
    2008 Saturn Aura Green Line
    2008 Saturn Aura Redline
    2008 Saturn Astra
    2008 Outlook/Acadia Hybrids

2006's Important Launches Gaining Momentum:

2007 Chevrolet Silverado
    2007 GMC Sierra
    2007 Saturn Outlook
    2007 GMC Acadia
    2007 Saturn Aura

As you can see, 2007 will bring some very important launches to market. It's a very important product year for GM. Cadillac's most important model, the CTS, will be all-new and better then ever. The STS will be getting a heavy MCE. The test of whether buyers can get past a name and badge on the hood, the Buick Enclave, will be introduced. The new Malibu and Cobalt will show whether or not America is ready to purchase truly competitive Chevy cars in large numbers. The Malibu, not the Aura, will be the true tell-tale of whether or not GM can sell a mid-size car en masse. Itís competent, and it just might be the first GM mid-sizer to truly give the Camcord a run for itís money. Many products will be receiving MCE's for 2008, as the lineup revamp continues. MY 2007 products that were introduced late in the year will start to hit their stride, affecting GM's sales numbers and profitability significantly. The Lambda crossovers and GMT-900 trucks will have large average selling prices and high profitability per model. 2007 is a pivotal year. In a product war that is just heating up, GM is ready for battle in 2007, with significant product launches and programs in place that will continue 2006's momentum. 2007 really is the year when it all comes together, as GM's product offensive picks up speed.

Closing

As the New Year beckons, I am once again hearing "news" that Toyota will pass GM in the year 2007 as the World's No.1 automaker. Now, I find it funny that we've been hearing continued speculation on this, for what seems, years! I keep seeing new articles/predictions/forecasts repackaging the same basic message. When will it stop? It's not facts; it's speculation. I admit, I was thinking that 2006 just might be that year. No, it wasn't inevitable, but very possible. However, GM held on, and what do you know; they are still the world's largest. Funny, because that has been the case all the while. You might say, "There has been a downward sales trend for GM, so what makes 2007 different?" What's different is that in addition to gains globally, GM will finally start to gain in North America. Very important new product launches, the new warranty, and the launch of hybrids. GM China's sales increases will be handsome and Holden will see gains with the launch of the VE. I'll go out on a limb here and say "No, it's not going to happen". Not in 2007. Unless GM's new launches are failures, Toyota will not take the title. Even if it's just by a sliver, GM's gains in NA and around the world will enable GM to retain it's position. Small clearance is bad, you say? Actually, that just might be the best place to be. It would keep GM on edge, working to retain it's position. It also lets Toyota deal with the frustration of not attaining the title by just that little bit. They are striving for it; they want that position. They'll be pushing for volume, and we all know where that leads to. It goes against my personal feelings, but for the good of GM, I really do think that would be the ideal situation.

The year ahead's outlook is much brighter then it was at this time just 1 year ago. A lot has been accomplished in 2006. In fact, the turnaround gained speed very quickly. Our faith in GM, it's leader and it's products was proven. Lots of competitive new products have been launched, and many more will be in 2007. The product revolution is real. And yet, work isn't over; and GM recognizes that, "We're only 65% there", "There is more to do". GM is very critical of itself and the continuation of it's turnaround, which is very important. A continued push for efficiency/cost reductions? Yup. GM needs to be constantly looking forward, constantly improving. Always looking for ways to take the lead, always innovating. When GM says that work is over, that is the day the corporation is in trouble again. It's just not the way a thriving corporation operates. Lately, GM has been inspiring innovation and creativity from it's designers and engineers once again; that needs to continue. The positive results of this new philosophy have been already been evident (thanks to Lutz) in GM's new product. GM is back again, and to think, this is only just the beginning! The Zeta cars (Camaro for all it's fans), EPII, premium Cadillac's; the list goes on. I'm very excited; there's a whole lot to look forward to in the year ahead and the coming years. 2006 was a landmark year; the speed of the turnaround surprised many. GM is a car company once again, not just an appliance maker. For me it's not "Just watch, they'll make great product". It's here, and I'm excited about it! The product's got the design and the style to turn heads. I'm pretty sure the public will feel the same way. How could they not, with cars like the Enclave and CTS being built? Yes, there are difficulties and challenges in the year (and years) ahead. Thankfully, we now have a competent GM that is not only aware of those problems, but is working to correct them. And boy, it's a great time to be a GM fan.

Happy New Year from ChevroletRevived, NSAP and the rest of the team here at GMInsideNews.com!
    Last edited by ChevroletRevived; 01-31-2007 at 12:56 AM.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

Thanks

The bad PR from 2005 & 2006 seems to have gotten some people to rally behind GM. Perceptions seem to change too, with some people asking if GM is really that bad. Saturn is definitely changing itself, and it is way overdue. This should have happened at least 5 years ago. GM getting pricing in line with reality was a smart move, along with adding to the warranty. Adding the roadside and courtesy transportation for covered repairs also applying to the 5/100, it's a win for the customer.

At last for Buick the two cars they replaced the previous 4 with are selling about the same rate as all the cars they replaced. Buick can do better, and should not be held back like is happening now. So what if Buick may push into Cadillac territory a bit? Some competition within GM could definitely be a good thing. I look forward to all of the GM launches, and hope that there are actually some surprises. I am not necessarily thinking Camaro or anything like that, even though it would be nice but some product that has been kept secret. Could always hope, GM should really start doing exactly that. Stop building hype 3 years before it is actually released, put a concept out a year before release, then get the reaction and make any changes that make sense based on reactions. GM should do better financially, but should heavily reinvest as much as they can into improving the future.
    At least the influence of Kerkorian is gone. That could really have held GM back. A year ago it seemed that people were saying GM ws going to go, now the focus is on Ford. Go GM, and and bring all the customer service jobs back to the US.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Turning around a large corporation isn't easy, but GM is trying. 07 will continue to be tough for the Big 3, but hopefully better than 06. Thanks for a well written article NSAP & ChevroletRevived.

Thanks

BRX!!

That is all I can say!

Thanks

well you guys summed it up great so again thank you. Chevrev, NSAP, et. all the GMI staff members that actively contribute (minus the three that don't hold up their end of the bargain LMAO which i found out in another thread) you create the greatness that is GMI and what has kept me coming to this site to learn about the auto industry, cars, and about life in general. Its a great community and I feel priviledged to be a part of it.

As far as upcoming cars: when does the MCE 08 STS and Cobalt updates get shown???? When do they go on sale???? Both of you are right though, will the Malibu gardener sales and will the public be seen in a alledged 'blue collar' chevy by some people on this board. I know I'd be proud to own one and not embarrassed to have my mother replace our malibu maxx with the 'new Bu'. Looking forward to staying in the black from 07 and on. Keep the #1 Title GM!!! You can do it, flawless product, smart astute marketing, a dealership experience that is positive and bends over backward for the customer, with top notch quality is the way to do it. Make that your goal and accomplish it.

CobaltSScrazy

Happy New Year everyone!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar mkaresh's Avatar
    Thanks

Excellent write-up, Nick. Especially the bit on pricing, people don't realize how close GM is to getting rid of huge incentives, which seemed impossible at the beginning of 2006. Only thing I disagree with is your evaluation of Cadillacs new ad theme. I think it won't last long. Time will tell.

Chevrolet Revived, I feel your desires are clouding your forecasts. I don't remember any predictions that Toyota would pass GM in 2006. Can you find one from a reputable source? In contrast, there are plenty of people saying this will happen in 2007. It's all but done. GM itself has been expecting this to happen for some time now, the only question was when. And the when is 2007. Toyota's new capacity is a known fact, as is their ability to spend whatever money is necessary to keep all of those new plants running at capacity.

At the same time, GM's new products will pick up few if any sales overall. What they will do is sell at higher transaction prices, helping profits, and you can count on this rather than share being GM's focus. Just as Toyota can cut prices to hit its volume targets, you can count on GM to raise prices to match any increase in consumer interest. It's what they've done in the past, and it's what they'll do again each time they feel they can.

I'm also confused by your labeling the new Malibu a "heavy MCE." It goes well beyond a MCE. MCE's at most slighly alter the sheetmetal. In the case of the new Malibu, the exterior and interior are entirely new. It's unusual for GM to fully redesign a volume product after just four years on the market, but that's what they've done. A good sign, actually. In the past they would have continued to flog the ugly old Malibu well past its sell-by date.
    Hidden Content
    More useful reliability research -- need more GM vehicles!
    Real-world fuel economy
    Price comparisons, quick and thorough

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkaresh
    Excellent write-up, Nick. Especially the bit on pricing, people don't realize how close GM is to getting rid of huge incentives, which seemed impossible at the beginning of 2006. Only thing I disagree with is your evaluation of Cadillacs new ad theme. I think it won't last long. Time will tell.

Chevrolet Revived, I feel your desires are clouding your forecasts. I don't remember any predictions that Toyota would pass GM in 2006. Can you find one from a reputable source? In contrast, there are plenty of people saying this will happen in 2007. It's all but done. GM itself has been expecting this to happen for some time now, the only question was when. And the when is 2007. Toyota's new capacity is a known fact, as is their ability to spend whatever money is necessary to keep all of those new plants running at capacity.

At the same time, GM's new products will pick up few if any sales overall. What they will do is sell at higher transaction prices, helping profits, and you can count on this rather than share being GM's focus. Just as Toyota can cut prices to hit its volume targets, you can count on GM to raise prices to match any increase in consumer interest. It's what they've done in the past, and it's what they'll do again each time they feel they can.

I'm also confused by your labeling the new Malibu a "heavy MCE." It goes well beyond a MCE. MCE's at most slighly alter the sheetmetal. In the case of the new Malibu, the exterior and interior are entirely new. It's unusual for GM to fully redesign a volume product after just four years on the market, but that's what they've done. A good sign, actually. In the past they would have continued to flog the ugly old Malibu well past its sell-by date.
    Well, we'll see I guess.
    Last edited by ChevroletRevived; 01-01-2007 at 02:52 AM.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks nsap and ChevroletRevived for those great write-ups. I have to agree, GM seems somewhat to be on the right track to be competitive once again. Although they still need to take many more steps, the turnaround is showing its effects everywhere. The Turnaround, it has been a great year.

I do agree, we need at least a 4 year, 50k mi bumper-bumper though.

Happy New Year!
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

I hate to say it... but Saab seems to be the red-headed step child. Even here it is mentioned briefly in one review and left out in the other. The next brand to get revitalized should be Saab as it is still not recognized as a GM product and has a strong potential in it's safety and sportiness.

If GM let's Saab create the killer cars they can, it won't be enough... GM needs to step in and extend the dealer networks. Let Saab become a true German fighter and then GM can claim it. Thusly allowing for win-win for both Saab and GM. Finally, Saab will be a killer again and the General can hold his head high when saying he owns Saab, instead of hiding it in the shadows and seeing who trips over it.

Thanks

hope 2007 will be a breat yr for GM

Thanks

Excellent write-ups.

It is indeed a great time to be a GM fan thanks to all thats happened/happening.

2006 was indeed a heck of a year at GM. Staring at a $10 billion loss from 2005, look at how far they've come. While we don't know final numbers for 2006, it is safe to say that it will be vastly improved from 2005. The Kerkorian/Goshn/N-R merger threat was thwarted at every turn (Nicely done, Rick!) and GM has made incredible headway in turning things around.

IMO, the most important improvement at GM is one of mindset - realizing that the work is not done and that the automotive world does not revolve around them. The minute the corporation lapses back into complacency is the minute they're dead in the water again.

Bravo on a great year in 06, GM. We're looking for even better in 2007!

Kevin

Thanks

This is probably a little off the subject, but while it seems GMNA is doing everything it can to revamp each company's lineups, replacing old models with new world class products, I think Holden, VE aside, is going the other way

The Daewoo Kalos replaced the Opel Corsa, Daewoo Lacetti thrown in under the Astra, and now the Daewoo Tosca is to replace the Opel Vectra. The Captiva is the only Daewoo that deserves to wear the Holden badge. Kalos (Barina) and Lacetti (Viva) are just crap. I think they should have waited for the new generations instead of replacing a great Opel product with an old Korean Coke can. But the Epica shouldn't be a bad addition to Holden's lineup. But then I suppose not many cars do look bad when they're up against the Camry

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Ultra Magnus's Avatar
    Thanks

Excellent write ups! I am really looking forward to this year for GM. Let us all hope that GM can deliver the solid new products they have promised. I do worry about the contract negotiations with the UAW though...
    They said it couldn't be done. That is until I did it.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox 2012 Silver

Great summary! I am looking forward to Saturn doing well because I think it is the brand with the best image for import buyers to take on Toyota and Honda.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information