GM Inside News Forum banner

Holden Commodore V6 Turbo Engine

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  JoeR_AUS 
#1 ·
When I drive the Commodore, esp the 3.0L SIDI version V6 it lacks torque and hunts around for gears quite easily. The engine lacks torque as it is 290nm @ 2900rpm.

Would it not be better to fit a Turbo to the SIDI engine, like the LAU six version?

The LAU engine (or LP9) in its lowest power level (186kw) is similar to the LF1 3.0L SIDI six but has 350nm in a wide band 1900-4500rpm.

Off course the current version uses SIDI where as the turbo engine does not.

So, Holden if you want to keep your V6 engine plant in Australia, how about creating a turbo low boost SIDI engine that could keep lower rpm, noise and use less fuel (ULP)? You could have a Hi Pressure version (PULP) to replace the 3.6. Therefore, one engine size in two configurations. Dropping the engine size to 2.5-2.6 L would also help the fuel economy and Holden would not need to spend money to upgrade the Plant.

#2 ·
Maybe they could just use a low pressure version of the 2.8T that they send to Opel?

#5 ·
1500kg would help but that wont save the Holden Engine plant.

Turbo does not have to use more fuel as you have more torque and the engine use less rpm, that's why the Euro's have gone this way, it uses less fuel.

Real life example, Volvo 850 2.5L my wife owned used more fuel than the 2.4T in the V70 series II (which was a heavier vehicle). The reason is the under load the gearbox will shift down a gear to get into the torque band which on a NA engine is always higher up. On the Volvo 2.4T the engine will pull away at 1500rpm in third gear quite happily, were the 2.5L would shift back to second gear. Also on the open road the car would never get out of 5th Gear (auto) even with 4 full size adults and over 200kg in the rear, as you have 320nm from 1800rpm. With 1550kg car and above load, I have got 7.2L /100km from Bathurst to Sydney, that is around 200km and the Volvo engine does not have the latest DI technology that is now available.

Either way Holden has a choice: Somehow make a future with the V6 or change the factory to 4 cylinder as GM powertrain already has this engine, ECOTEC 2.0L I-4 VVT DI TURBO (LHU) with 164kw - 187kw, 353nm at 2000rpm.

If the cost is too high to re-engineer the factory, as reported by the press - its much cheaper to payout everyone that re-engineer the factory. Then you have 3 options:

- refine the V6
- import 4 cylinder engine
- do nothing

Holden your call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.