GM Inside News Forum banner

(ATS-V Side View) Cadillac ATS Coupe needs to be more...

40K views 92 replies 51 participants last post by  Orbit Orange 
#1 · (Edited)
Cadillac ATS Coupe
needs to be more...

Op-Ed by MonaroSS
GMI Contributor – 8 December 2012

Just a quick opinion. With the release of the BMW 4-Series Coupe I am beginning to feel that the ATS Coupe needs to be more than just a 2-door version of the sedan; or even a svelte Coupe body but sharing everything forward of the A pillar. It needs to be more sculpted and overtly styled, breaking further from the conservative ATS sedan body. Yes it should look like an ATS, but more like it could face prosecution if it told a Senate Committee it had never used steroids... And that’s without being a ‘V’ model, which should step it up a notch even further.

I think that in this market sector buyers are expecting more exclusivity from a Coupe, and are willing to pay for it if that promise is delivered upon. Of course it would be cheaper to just graft 4-doors into 2-doors and leave it at that. But I think that type of thinking is why Coupe sales are often low. But when you get an exceptional Coupe design that stands out in the crowd, you not only get higher sales of the Coupe, but extra kudos for the range it symbolises...

What do you think, safe and cost-effective; or a little riskier and bolder design?

EDIT: Added ATS-V Coupe SIDI 4.0 TTV8...

Click to Enlarge

;)

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Cadillac ATS Coupe needs to be more...

Hey Monaro...

if Cadillac is going to say things like "Standard of the World" and "BMW is the bogey"... they NEED to reach farther, quicker.

With a few minor exceptions, I like your red Chop above. The drop from the hoodline down to the front fender is greater than the source (grey car) file. I think it's perhaps too much or too rakish. It starts to remind me of some of the MB styling of late (IMHO they RUINED the CLS with the latest generation, but that's a completely different story!) Most of the rest of the red car gets a thumbs up from me! I am a HUGE fan of the current CTS coupe, mostly because it sticks a finger in the eye of "normal".... severely raked rear glass, fat fenders and rubber... the CTS-V coupe for me is like sex on wheels. :)

In concept, I agree with you... Cadillac needs to man-up... actions speak louder than marketing slogans these days. The ATS came to market and met most, but not all of it's goals. They will sell them, without a doubt, but they could be selling more. The ATS Coupe needs to be an "out of the park homerun" on the first swing to establish the division as a serious contender. No more "we'll catch up next MCE cycle" garbage.

Can they do it? I think so. Will they be allowed to? God, I hope so. I'm SO bloody tired of the Germans (BMW, Audi, Porsche) walking away from every comparo with a trophy in their pocket... mostly (not always) because they do have a superior product.

-john

#5 ·

Hey Monaro...

if Cadillac is going to say things like "Standard of the World" and "BMW is the bogey"... they NEED to reach farther, quicker.

With a few minor exceptions, I like your red Chop above. The drop from the hoodline down to the front fender is greater than the source (grey car) file. I think it's perhaps too much or too rakish. It starts to remind me of some of the MB styling of late (IMHO they RUINED the CLS with the latest generation, but that's a completely different story!) Most of the rest of the red car gets a thumbs up from me! I am a HUGE fan of the current CTS coupe, mostly because it sticks a finger in the eye of "normal".... severely raked rear glass, fat fenders and rubber... the CTS-V coupe for me is like sex on wheels. :)

In concept, I agree with you... Cadillac needs to man-up... actions speak louder than marketing slogans these days. The ATS came to market and met most, but not all of it's goals. They will sell them, without a doubt, but they could be selling more. The ATS Coupe needs to be an "out of the park homerun" on the first swing to establish the division as a serious contender. No more "we'll catch up next MCE cycle" garbage.

Can they do it? I think so. Will they be allowed to? God, I hope so. I'm SO bloody tired of the Germans (BMW, Audi, Porsche) walking away from every comparo with a trophy in their pocket... mostly (not always) because they do have a superior product.

-john

The extra drop down to the fender is to put more emphasis on the hood, like with oldschool Cadillacs...

;)

#3 ·

Keep it cost effecitve as far as the doors. There are pleanty of ways to make the coupe more dramatic looking.

Regardless of how much better you make a Couple look, the sales are going to be limited. It's not that the coupes aren't better looking any more it's that the sedans are less stodgy and their practicality has surpassed the stigma of driving one.

As a teenage (more then a few years back for me) we always considered sedan's lame. Now cars like WRX and Panamera are completely accepted.

#4 ·

as much as i hate the high belt lines, the belt line on the cts coup helps define the car, also would love to see the touchpad handleless set up on the ats coupe. and since i'm dreaming, would love to see a fastback version of the ats a la 3rd gen camaro/firebird style.

#8 ·

as much as i hate the high belt lines, the belt line on the cts coup helps define the car, also would love to see the touchpad handleless set up on the ats coupe. and since i'm dreaming, would love to see a fastback version of the ats a la 3rd gen camaro/firebird style.
Yes, as to the coupe's door handles, make it a Cadillac coupe signature - handless touchpads.

#7 ·

Love what you did with the roofline. In my opinion, one of the nicest coupes out there right now is the Audi A5/S5 and the gentle slope into the rear quarter.

#10 ·

Make an Eldorado and we can talk. But yes the coupe should have it's own special greenhouse and roofline. There should also be a convertible.

I still like the outrageous Cien too. No matter what though my favorite Cadillacs are the 1960's era Coupe de Villes and convertibles.... In black.

#11 ·

Awesome rendering on the coupe. Like the aggressive styling. And if it were in a V-Series skin that would be sweet.

#15 ·

ATS needs a more defining or stronger (character?) line on the sides of the car. That's the only part of the ATS I'd consider bland and where the 3 Series beats it in style.

This is one of my favorites:

#21 ·

The current CTS is kind of a Cadillac Camaro - not the "Eldorado" that some think it should be. I see that trend becoming even more pronounced for a new CTS.
2nd Gen CTS Coupe should align with the CTS Sedan's higher profile. Therefore, it will slot where the previous Eldorado left off.
However, if you are to look at Cadillac's history, a real, true, proper Eldorado would be an Omega Coupe.

#23 ·

Looks great. I would lose the mail slot and possible thin the bumper out even more while increasing the size of the fog light recesses for a more aggressive look. The rear fender bulges you did should be mandatory. One thing Cadillac cannot do is shorten the wheelbase, chop the rear doors and call it a day. Every other car in this class has a much more aggressive looking coupe.

Coupe buyers are much more accepting of aggressive styling otherwise they would be choosing from an endless supply of conservative sedans.

#24 ·

I really like that the current CTS coupe is so different from the sedan. I am torn on the ATS. It's a beauty of a car but it has lost some of the "in your face" styling. I like both! Maybe if the coupe was a lot more aggresive looking ?

#25 ·

I'd leave the front fender line alone.

It seems to me that there are a lot of CTS Coupes for sale. Could it be that the poor visibility and limited rear headroom are beginning to affect it's desirability? I like your red ATS, but I'd like to see it in a side view or rear view. The ATS coupe doesn't need to be aggressive, it needs to look upscale and stunning.

#26 ·

Driving a car with a long, nearly horizontal hood is a very different experience from driving a sloping one, and one most car (not truck) owners are unfamiliar with. It emphasizes the engine, as you note with the '53 Cadillac, but from inside the vehicle.

Of course, it would need an authentic hood goddess or stand-up wreath & crest. And front sensors to avoid running over small children.

#29 ·
Re: (No Slot)Cadillac ATS Coupe needs to be more...

Cadillac ATS Coupe
needs to be more...

Op-Ed by MonaroSS
GMI Contributor – 8 December 2012

Just a quick opinion. With the release of the BMW 4-Series Coupe I am beginning to feel that the ATS Coupe needs to be more than just a 2-door version of the sedan; or even a svelte Coupe body but sharing everything forward of the A pillar. It needs to be more sculpted and overtly styled, breaking further from the conservative ATS sedan body. Yes it should look like an ATS, but more like it could face prosecution if it told a Senate Committee it had never used steroids... And that’s without being a ‘V’ model, which should step it up a notch even further.

I think that in this market sector buyers are expecting more exclusivity from a Coupe, and are willing to pay for it if that promise is delivered upon. Of course it would be cheaper to just graft 4-doors into 2-doors and leave it at that. But I think that type of thinking is why Coupe sales are often low. But when you get an exceptional Coupe design that stands out in the crowd, you not only get higher sales of the Coupe, but extra kudos for the range it symbolises...

What do you think, safe and cost-effective; or a little riskier and bolder design?

Click to Enlarge

;)
the rubberband wheels would make it ride like a wagon
deleted mail-slot image is much better

This doesn't need to be a Camaro - the rear hips are way too tall - not seeing a rear end shot, this looks to be as beefy (and blindspot prone) as the CTS coupe. I fear you've gone too far with the aggressiveness.

#30 ·

the rubberband wheels would make it ride like a wagon
deleted mail-slot image is much better

This doesn't need to be a Camaro - the rear hips are way too tall - not seeing a rear end shot, this looks to be as beefy (and blindspot prone) as the CTS coupe. I fear you've gone too far with the aggressiveness.
Yes the wheels are a bit overboard... for effect. :D

However, there should not be much in the way of blind spots. You can look through the front window of the Coupe and see what you can see out the back and side windows, and there is plenty to see. The rear looks higher but actually isn't. It’s an optical allusion. While people think I raised the hood/bonnet it actually stayed put and I lowered the front side fender tops, headlights and grill.

I also lowered the front starting point of the side door window, so these gave me a lower starting point to raise the sidelines from. Thus the side sculpting appears to be more dramatically rising to a higher rear point, but mainly because it starts from a lower frontal point.

;)

#31 ·

As a CTS Coupe owner I want to say "Thanks!" Great work. I agree with your design approach and philosophy and I hope Cadillac listens to you and current CTS owners. The next Cadillac coupe needs to be stunning and aggressive. To heck with playing it safe!

#32 ·

As a CTS Coupe owner I want to say "Thanks!" Great work. I agree with your design approach and philosophy and I hope Cadillac listens to you and current CTS owners. The next Cadillac coupe needs to be stunning and aggressive. To heck with playing it safe!
Thanks, but I am a little worried that GM decision-makers may not feel the same way...

;)

#33 ·

first render looks like a chevy, last render looks like a Buick...vent in hood chevy, bump in hood buick...they are nice though, great work as usual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.