GM Inside News Forum banner

Toyota Dealers Still Using Old Fuel-Mileage Ratings!

5K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  AMERICA 123 
#1 ·
From - www.leftlanenews.com

Toyota dealers still using old fuel-mileage ratings.

When 2008 model year cars were required to post fuel-mileage based on new government testing earlier this month, economy ratings dropped across the board. However, hybrids suffered the most under the new "real-world" testing — most hybrids saw a 20% decrease in fuel mileage.

Before the new regulations, the most popular hybrid in America — the Toyota Prius— advertised fuel economy of 60 mpg city and 51 highway. After the 2008 rating system, mileage dropped to 48/45 mpg city/highway — much closer to real-world results. But many Toyota dealers are still using the pre-2008 mileage figures.

CNW Marketing Research took a survey of 200 Toyota dealerships around the country and found that about 33% are still claiming that the Prius can achieve 60 mpg — many making the claim in radio or TV ads. "It's underhanded and deceptive,” said Art Spinella, general manager of CNW Marketing Research. “Toyota isn't doing it. The ads aren't in newspapers where you can cut them out and have proof they did wrong. The ads are usually on radio or TV where you don't have a copy, so that if anyone complains all the dealer has to do is stop running the ad for a while."

Consumers haven't been complaining about the ad claims — largely due to the fact that consumers aren't aware that ratings have changed yet — but many dealers using the 48/45 ratings have, calling either local dealer trade associations or their state attorney general's office to complain and force dealers to use the new rating system.

Toyota has yet to comment on the subject.

See less See more
#3 ·
Their dealers are just making them look bad.

#6 · (Edited)
GMusa said:
CNW Marketing Research took a survey of 200 Toyota dealerships around the country and found that about 33% are still claiming that the Prius can achieve 60 mpg .
What is it with CNW Marketing? The only apparent purpose this company existing seems to be to rag on the Prius. First their bogus "dust to dust" lifetime energy cost analysis and now this.

#7 ·
tgferg67 said:
The article does not specify whether they are advertising 2007 or 2008 models. I notice automakers are advertising 2007 models with the old standard.
If it's the 2008 models it's just plain wrong but the article is "vague".

"CNW Marketing Research took a survey of 200 Toyota dealerships around the country and found that about 33% are still claiming that the Prius can achieve 60 mpg"

This would not be untrue for a 2007 model with the EPA standard which it was tested
This is true. If they took the survey of 200 dealers yesterday then it's wrong since the 2008s arrived just after Labor day. If they took the survey in August then 60/51 was correct for the 2007 models. The EPA requires anyone to state only the numbers on the Maroney.

CNW does itself a disservice by being intentionally vague or just dumb.

#8 ·
Honestly, I think there are more dealers out there using the wrong ratings because they know nothing about cars, and they know nothing about the new rating system. So eventually they'll figure it out and stop doing it, but we all know that for every honest mistake there is some jackass taking advantage of the CUSTOMERS, which is even more unexcusable. :bio::I'm glad Toyota at least has the balls to make a statement.:rolleyes:

#9 ·
Now if this were GM it would be replayed every ten minutes on CNN Headline News.

#11 ·
PhishPhood said:
This is true. If they took the survey of 200 dealers yesterday then it's wrong since the 2008s arrived just after Labor day. If they took the survey in August then 60/51 was correct for the 2007 models. The EPA requires anyone to state only the numbers on the Maroney.

CNW does itself a disservice by being intentionally vague or just dumb.
As Slim Pickens would say, "By Golly Mr. Fish, you talk purtier than a 20 dollar _ _ _ _ _."

It's falsification of the facts, and if GM did it you'd be talking to a DA.

#21 ·
As Slim Pickens would say, "By Golly Mr. Fish, you talk purtier than a 20 dollar _ _ _ _ _."

It's falsification of the facts, and if GM did it you'd be talking to a DA.
In the interest of great movie lines being quoted correctly, Taggart says, "Golly, Mr. Lamarr. You use your tongue purtier than a 20 dollar w_ _ _ e."

#14 ·
I've seen plenty of ads in recent weeks showing the old fuel economy ratings, and not just for Toyotas (actually, I don't think I saw any for Toyota, but I don't remember for sure). If they're selling 2007 models, then there is no problem with it IMO.

If you go to www.gm.com/shop and choose "30 mpg highway or better," they give you all 2007 models: Vibe, Monte Carlo, Cobalt, Impala, Grand Prix, etc. So where's the outcry about that?
stormwatcher said:
What is it with CNW Marketing? The only apparent purpose this company existing seems to be to rag on the Prius. First their bogus "dust to dust" lifetime energy cost analysis and now this.
I knew I heard the name CNW Research before. That makes me trust their data very little, because the "dust to dust" "research" (and I use that term loosely) was total rubbish.

#16 ·
tgferg67 said:
The article does not specify whether they are advertising 2007 or 2008 models. I notice automakers are advertising 2007 models with the old standard.
If it's the 2008 models it's just plain wrong but the article is "vague".

"CNW Marketing Research took a survey of 200 Toyota dealerships around the country and found that about 33% are still claiming that the Prius can achieve 60 mpg"

This would not be untrue for a 2007 model with the EPA standard which it was tested
I agree. They're just trying to milk a dead cow now.

#18 ·
Lawnchair8 said:
Honestly, I think there are more dealers out there using the wrong ratings because they know nothing about cars, and they know nothing about the new rating system. So eventually they'll figure it out and stop doing it, but we all know that for every honest mistake there is some jackass taking advantage of the CUSTOMERS, which is even more unexcusable.
I have a cousin that worked at a Toyota dealership and he was doing keg stands with the koolaid. The "management" there had all of their salesmen tell customers that Toyotas all got 12% over the EPA ratings. I can't remember what whacked excuse they gave for the EPA numbers being lower, but that was the ethical standard for them.

#19 ·
That's not as bad as some dealerships. Around here Russ Darrow was advertising Kia Rios getting 45mpg.

Actual EPA estimates: 29 city, 38 highway

Every brand has bad dealerships, and there are LOTS of them too. This is the reason people hate car salesmen.

#24 ·
So true !:lmao:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.