GM Inside News Forum banner

[LINCOLN] MKS Interior in FULL GLORY

5K views 63 replies 37 participants last post by  guitarlix 
#1 ·
#6 ·
FoMoCo Fan said:
Not bad. I'm not sure what it up with the screen up top. Is this a model without a NAV system? It looks too small to be a NAV screen.
it is definitely a no-nav model, but the screen looks awkward.

IMO the interior is OK .. but could have abnd SHOULD HAVE been better .. Lincoln is ditching the award winnning 2pod design (MKZ) and going generic,. and there is a LOT of good generic interiors out there .. be best possible being the CTS interior above ..

I think abandining the interior theme was a mistake.

I alo think the switchgear is WAY too close to the Flex switchgear .. them coming out at the same time and sharing platforms - people will compare .. and they are close.

Igor

#8 ·
It's the same center stack module as the Flex.

I think the 2 pod retro interior theme works if the design is a heritage inspired design. The MKS isn't so I don't think it's a great loss in this case. Now for the Town Car replacement/Continental, I'd like to see something more traditionally Lincoln.

And I disagree about the CTS interior being generic. I'm not sure how I would label its design language, but it's not generic.

#9 ·
I like it a lot. And since Jaguar may no longer be apart of Ford, this is the right direction for the company, IMO.

#10 ·
I don't like the way the dash is split with that piece of wood trim. Looks awkward.

I agree with Igor, the CTS is going to make the MKS' life hard. Hopefully it'll make a few other marques' life hard, too.

#11 · (Edited)
It seems, even in these candid shots, very nicely done. I like the strong horizontal lines very much. This will help give the whole interior a open, airy feel. I say "well done".

But about the exterior.................

#13 ·
To my eyes that interior has a cold, soulless, luxury-free utilitarian look to it...nothing to evoke "buy me"...here's hoping the exterior embraces the design themes of the stunning MKR concept!
p.s. I REALLY wish they'd go back to hallowed NAMES!! If as a car nut I had to THINK if MKR was the concept, think of the average buyer they are trying to lure!

#14 ·
FoMoCo Fan said:
I agree, it is kind of bland, but so it this...
That wasn't my point.
I feel the MKS shares way too much in profile, shape, proportion, and detail with the years-old Mitsubishi.

#17 ·
genjy said:
American luxury automobiles are often too conservative and traditional. The MKS looks like it's going to be another big and boring luxo boat for the older buyers.
Well, we don't really know all about that. With the twin turbo V6 and AWD it should at least be a powerful vehicle. It is big and it is bland though we haven't seen the revised nose and tail, which are changed from the concept. Big and bland and luxurious and powerful is ok for a brand like Lincoln, IF they also do something like the MKR, etc. Big and bland if done right can be very profitable, which remember IS the name of the game. Chasing after BMW customers, when BMW customers have NO reason to leave that brand isn't really a good business move for an American automaker.

#18 ·
FoMoCo Fan said:
It's the same center stack module as the Flex.

I think the 2 pod retro interior theme works if the design is a heritage inspired design. The MKS isn't so I don't think it's a great loss in this case. Now for the Town Car replacement/Continental, I'd like to see something more traditionally Lincoln.

And I disagree about the CTS interior being generic. I'm not sure how I would label its design language, but it's not generic.
But there is no Town Car/Continental replacement on the horizon, so this should have been the "flagship" interior, representing Lincoln's best. I think Igor is right-the "heritage" interior may be criticized by some but it has its own unique design language and is quite effective with high-quality materials. From the pic, this doesn't look to have either-the design is bland and the tan plastic just looks cheap. In fact, in many respects I prefer the Taurus/Sable interior (and the MKZ interior).

From these pics MKS is quite generic in and out, which is particularly problematic given that it is Lincoln's flagship sedan for the foreseeable future. Let's hope things are different on the finished product. Otherwise, it's going to be a tough sell-this is a highly competitive segment and, right on Lincoln's own lots, the MKZ is a more distinctive product in and out for a lot less money.

#19 ·
It seems that they kept the same design theme as the concept but the problem is the same as with almost all domestic vehicles (except the new CTS but thats just one of many). Why, I repeat Why are they slaves to parts bin radios and climate controls? I understand the cost savings but why not just have all the same internals and just have unique faceplates that integrate better with the overall design of the vehicle? Just my .02.

#21 ·
Ach said:
...so this should have been the "flagship" interior, representing Lincoln's best...

Except the MKS was never intended as a flagship - that would have been its big brother, the in-limbo E386.

I learned with the Passat, not to judge interiors from photos; photogenic>>letdown imho.
&
While still pre-production and apparently in an ebony/stone color theme - these shots look Very similar to the concept's.
It remains to be seen if the matte black concole material is temporary or one of the (base?) trims.

#22 ·
johnstarnes said:
To my eyes that interior has a cold, soulless, luxury-free utilitarian look to it...nothing to evoke "buy me"...here's hoping the exterior embraces the design themes of the stunning MKR concept!
p.s. I REALLY wish they'd go back to hallowed NAMES!! If as a car nut I had to THINK if MKR was the concept, think of the average buyer they are trying to lure!
What design themes of the MKR concept? the fact that the OUTSIDE and RUNNING GEAR of the MKR was AWESOME does not mean the interior was - the inteior was PURE CONCEPT ... look it up .. . there is reallt no THEME to use from that interior.

Igor

#23 ·
THOSE ARE NOT PARTS BIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE EYES? THE FLEX's radio and HVAC are completely different!!!!!!!!

It looks great in my opinion, it looks really classy. Most german interiors, especially BMWs and most Japanese interiors are just cold and black, with no warmth in them at all. This interior does have warmth with the variety of soft muted colors (remember this is an unlit shot taken through glass) including the stiched dash top, which is really fantastic and unique in this segment. Stop complaining, its a great interior with much better ergonomics than the new CTS, all of those buttons look so close together...looks good but with bigger than average hands it might be difficult to hit the right button without looking.

#24 ·
2b2 said:
Except the MKS was never intended as a flagship - that would have been its big brother, the in-limbo E386.

I learned with the Passat, not to judge interiors from photos; photogenic>>letdown imho.
&
While still pre-production and apparently in an ebony/stone color theme - these shots look Very similar to the concept's.
It remains to be seen if the matte black concole material is temporary or one of the (base?) trims.
That's my point...the MKS is the de facto flagship, the most expensive Lincoln sedan available and will be for a long time, and should be treated accordingly. E386? I think limbo=dead after all this time. Even if they stop the hand-wringing and give it the go ahead today (or on some other platform like Orion), what are we looking at, 2012 at earliest?

I hope you are right about the interior-hopefully there will be a center-stack finish closer to the concept, it was beautiful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.