GM Inside News Forum banner

VortecMAX / 6.0 GMC

30K views 58 replies 32 participants last post by  szxycj 
#1 ·
An anonymous poster sent me this info regarding vehicles at the Oshawa plant:

I was looking at the 06 trucks at the plant here (Chevrolet and GMC), yes they built out 80 pilots and nothing looks changed on the GMC however I noticed that on one of the GMC Sierra's 4x4 it had an insignia on the doors front bottom edge. It read "VortecMAX" with the word vortec in chrome and the word MAX in red with chrome outline. I checked the partially filled out window sticker and the engine was the 6.0 L V8, same thing that read on one of the Chevrolet Silverado SS trucks that was beside it. Just wondering if the GMC's may be using the 345HP 6.0L as an option like they did with the denali only thing this GMC wasn't a denali.

Anyways that's about it, I'm really liking the new grill on the chevrolets for 06, especially the monochromed ones on the SS's.

#2 ·
Yes just got our "new for 06" ordering guide. the 345hp 6.0 is a "vortec max" option in 1/2 crew and ext cab trucks for 06 Chev and GMC.. Also a Suburban LTZ in 06 also has pretty much same 6.0 layout as denali with stock chrome 20inch wheels pretty good looking for last body style hu-rah.

Also updated D-max (no numbers yet) with 6 speed Alison tranny with a "tap shift" type up and down shift. Nice to see GM stay ahead of the curve on HD truck drivetrain.

#4 ·
88montess said:
Yes just got our "new for 06" ordering guide. the 345hp 6.0 is a "vortec max" option in 1/2 crew and ext cab trucks for 06 Chev and GMC.. Also a Suburban LTZ in 06 also has pretty much same 6.0 layout as denali with stock chrome 20inch wheels pretty good looking for last body style hu-rah.

Also updated D-max (no numbers yet) with 6 speed Alison tranny with a "tap shift" type up and down shift. Nice to see GM stay ahead of the curve on HD truck drivetrain.
Nice to see GM keeping up with Dodge on the 1500 V8's.

I read in the '06 ordering guide that the '06 Duramax will be 620ft-lbs. of torque

#6 ·
That's pretty cool that GMC is going to get a pretty high performance truck too.

Rex Raider said:
I'm really liking the new grill on the chevrolets for 06, especially the monochromed ones on the SS's.
I'm going to have to find that pic again that was you posted here about the updated '06s, I forget what they look like.

#7 ·
I don't exactly like the name VortecMAX - sounds childish.

#9 ·
Z28x said:
Nice to see GM keeping up with Dodge on the 1500 V8's.

I read in the '06 ordering guide that the '06 Duramax will be 620ft-lbs. of torque
If the current D-max has 600, and the new Ford Super Duty has 570, then how does the Ford have more towing capacity? Sounds like false advertising to me. I can't wait for the new line of engines.

#13 ·
SSrevolution said:
Its not MAX about it without the 8100!
Small blocks are childsplay. All aluminum big blocks should be in the new Z06, not the small block.
Back on subject... Good idea.

to get off subject again...

small blocks are great but im not totally against any big blocks. not only do you get a smaller and lighter motor but in the case of the 8.1 you dont have to use an extremely high amount of oil for it.

in short, corvette has been usin small blocks for ages now, and on the track they woop up on the ferrari's and porsche's and sound AMAZING all at once!!!

small blocks are amazing and have so much never ending possibility to do all that you want ex: LS2 - 400 hp 400 ft lbs of torque(i think) and a redline around 6000 rpm!!?? LS7 - 500 hp 390 ft lbs and a redline of 7100 rpm!!

#14 ·
460ford said:
Stronger chassis parts such as the frame and rear end or other things may be the reason.[/QUOTE

The real reason is there is no gov't control or mandate on how any manufacutur rates their vehicles. It's 100% upto the maker. the gov't doesn't control any uniform ratings.

A couple years ago when new HD's were coming out in '01 max bumper pull on ford was 10,000lbs, chevy was 12000lbs. In about a year with no change to anything ford showed 12200 in books. No changes were made just what they felt the rating is different.

Look at 9500lbs tow rating out of Nissan Titan. What the hell do they know about full size truck ratings, but they know advertising, and saying you tow more then other 1/2 tons is better then what you can actually do. how many customers really hold any to exact lbs.

#15 ·
88montess said:
460ford said:
Stronger chassis parts such as the frame and rear end or other things may be the reason.[/QUOTE

The real reason is there is no gov't control or mandate on how any manufacutur rates their vehicles. It's 100% upto the maker. the gov't doesn't control any uniform ratings.

A couple years ago when new HD's were coming out in '01 max bumper pull on ford was 10,000lbs, chevy was 12000lbs. In about a year with no change to anything ford showed 12200 in books. No changes were made just what they felt the rating is different.

Look at 9500lbs tow rating out of Nissan Titan. What the hell do they know about full size truck ratings, but they know advertising, and saying you tow more then other 1/2 tons is better then what you can actually do. how many customers really hold any to exact lbs.
I agree that customers don't really hold true to their exact lb. limit, I think the manufacturers underate their tow ratings by some. When Nissan announced that the Titan was going to have a 9500 lb. limit Ford raised the limit on the F-150 to 9500 almost overnight. It's all just marketing and I don't think that many people at all will be towing the 17,000 lbs. that the Superduty is now rated for anyway. I think that the government or someone should come up with a standardized system that will let the consumer know of the true limits on their truck.

#16 ·
A VortecMAX.....a 6.0L V8 pumping out 345hp, ja? Isn't that also the same engine used in the Cadillac Escalade? Just wondering. :)

Snafu_SS said:
small blocks are amazing and have so much never ending possibility to do all that you want ex: LS2 - 400 hp 400 ft lbs of torque(i think) and a redline around 6000 rpm!!?? LS7 - 500 hp 390 ft lbs and a redline of 7100 rpm!!
Ummmm....isn't the LS7 supposed to have 475lbs ft of torque? 390lbs ft sounds like it's coming from a dinky little 4.2L Ferrari V8 (good engine, by the way, just not torquy). Does not match the 7.0L displacement at all. I agree the small-block motor is such a d@mn good motor. It's OHV setup makes it smaller and lighter than the competition, which allows it to boost displacement and get just as much, if not even more power than its competitors. Just with the big block would get the same treatment.

#18 ·
Ummmm....isn't the LS7 supposed to have 475lbs ft of torque? 390lbs ft sounds like it's coming from a dinky little 4.2L Ferrari V8 (good engine, by the way, just not torquy). Does not match the 7.0L displacement at all. I agree the small-block motor is such a d@mn good motor. It's OHV setup makes it smaller and lighter than the competition, which allows it to boost displacement and get just as much, if not even more power than its competitors. Just with the big block would get the same treatment.

You a correct ViperDVMan about the new upcoming Z06 LS7 it will have 500 Horsepower and 475lbs ft of torque not 390lbs ft of torque and your right about the small-block being an AWESOME motor especially considering the OHC is such a simple engine design instead of the DOHC engines which are more complicated and as they say more cubic inches equals more horsepower

Redvette

#20 ·
88montess said:

So the Chevy also gets a 345 hp 6.0L engine option in regular 1/2-ton trucks (and not just the SS?). That is AWESOME.

#21 · (Edited)
327 said:
hey now, dont knock it till you drive one, They actually do have a lot of power. I think you can get the 5.3 327 H.O. as 310HP. Im not sure about the torque
I'm not knocking it at all, and I have driven one. Nice engine but still with dodge's 340 hp it needs more jam, even if only for a few sales but some good advertising bragigng rights. I think the 310hp is only in the extended cabs...not sure about that (and that is the all aluminum one too, save some weight...)

Really wish they would just let you order the engine you want. If I could order a 350hp reg cab shortbox GMC I would be in tomorrow to sign the papers. 400hp would be better!! If the 6.0l will be going into the extended cabs, no reason it can't go into the regular cabs too, everything is the same after all. I'll keep my fingers crossed...LOL

later
Tim

#23 ·
TimR said:
I'm not knocking it at all, and I have driven one. Nice engine but still with dodge's 340 hp it needs more jam, even if only for a few sales but some good advertising bragigng rights. I think the 310hp is only in the extended cabs...not sure about that (and that is the all aluminum one too, save some weight...)

Really wish they would just let you order the engine you want. If I could order a 350hp reg cab shortbox GMC I would be in tomorrow to sign the papers. 400hp would be better!! If the 6.0l will be going into the extended cabs, no reason it can't go into the regular cabs too, everything is the same after all. I'll keep my fingers crossed...LOL

later
Tim
I think Dodge is over-rating their HP on the Hemi. I've seen 4.8L and 5.3L chevys on a chassis dyno that were spitting distance away on RWHP numbers. Then again maybe Chevy is under-rating their engines. It wouldn't be the first time. The LS-1 z28's were rated at 305 HP and they were puttin out 290 to the wheels. I know GM's got some stuff up their sleeves and when the new GMT 900's come out we'll all be grinnin like proud new papas.

#24 ·
TimR said:

later
Tim
Yeah what ever happened to ordering whatever engine you want? It claims in the silverado booklet from the dealer that you can get it whatever engine. I should be able to go in a dealership and get shortbox reg cab pickup with a 8.1 Liter. Theres no need to have a seperate pickup line for SS. They should just have it as a Option. Badging suspension and big engine. Like how they did in the OL days. I just got a new silverado reg cab shortbox, 5.3. Coming from a 88 Im pretty impressed with the power:drive:

#26 ·
ViperDVMan said:
A VortecMAX.....a 6.0L V8 pumping out 345hp, ja? Isn't that also the same engine used in the Cadillac Escalade? Just wondering. :)

thats wat i was gonna say it still seems like it would have more than 475ftlbs it should have around 500 to 520 to match the viper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.