SIA flashback: Turbocharged compact 1963 Corvair Spyder

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SIA flashback: Turbocharged compact 1963 Corvair Spyder

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

SIA flashback: Turbocharged compact 1963 Corvair Spyder

Here an old article of SIA then Hemmings blog posted
    http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...orvair-spyder/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: SIA flashback: Turbocharged compact 1963 Corvair Spyder

"Unsafe at any Speed"...per Ralph Nader.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970½ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 273 4M

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: SIA flashback: Turbocharged compact 1963 Corvair Spyder

That is a very nice article about a car that is not seen very often any more. I owned a 63 Monza Spyder coupe from July 1968 to June 1971 while I was in my last two years of high school and first yesr of college. It had 85,000 miles when I bought it, and the turbocharger was in a box in the back seat at that time. I towed it to the local Chevy dealer, and $160 later ( a lot of money then) I had a working car. I still had much work to do, as the distributor had been replaced sometime in its life with the wrong distributor, negating the pressure retard system that was part of the anti-knock control on the turbo engine. The heavy duty metallic brakes had also been replaced with normal asbestos linings which were much more prone to fade when driven in mountainous areas such as where I lived. I also installed a camber compensator to keep the rear suspension under control and radial tires.

As you might expect, I drove the wheels off that car for that three year period. I spent many hours in HS. auto shop classes during my senior year and rebuilt two engines, one I purchased used so I could quickly put it in the car and not be without wheels during its overhaul. I later rebuilt the other engine and put it in another Corvair. I was always working on that car, replacing clutches, overhauling transmissions, chasing oil leaks and so forth. Cars back then required much more attention than they do now. I learned a lot about cars by working on that one.

It was in great shape when I sold it, but I replaced it with a new 71 Camaro SS 350 that I had been lusting after for a while. The new car had air conditioning which was a welcome relief in the summertime when temperatures regularly exceed 100F.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information