Saturn Ion 3 Speakers - Sound System

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saturn Ion 3 Speakers - Sound System

Walking
    Thanks
    I just bought a Saturn Ion 3 with a 4 speaker MP3 sound system, but have been unable to find any information as to the specs of the system (watts?), and where the 3rd pair of speakers is located in the premium sound system.
    I want to upgrade my sound system with a 3rd pair of speakers.
    Where do they go?
    What kind of (size) speakers go there?
    Will there be wires at the 3rd location, or will I have to run my own wires?
    and
    How powerful is the MP3 sound system?

I've already bought 2 pair of 4-way 6 1/2 inch speakers for the back shelf and doors...the back shelf looks easy enough to pop off, will the door frames pop right off when I yank on them, or is there some trick to it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Did the Ion come with Tweeters?

I doubt the system is above 100 watts. Especially if it has only 4 speakers, than most likely there is no amplifier for each speaker. If I were you I would buy some good Sony brand 3-way speakers, WalMart sells them really cheap. Stock sound systems in any car below $25,000 usually suck. Right now if it is 4 speakers I'm assuming you have 2 mids of front, and 2 lows in back, and no highs (tweeters). Anyway good luck man.

Here is an MP3 unit that costs 130$ (200 watt max, pretty cheap)

Sony 6 1/2 3-way speaker-100$

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacJ8's Avatar
    Thanks
    Make sure you consult with your dealer or Saturn before you start yanking stuff out, it might void your warrenty.

Walking
    Thanks
    Appreciate the recommendation, but as I mentioned I just picked up 2 pair of 4-way Pioneer TS-A1680R 220 Watt speakers for only $34 each pair through E-bay (about half the price of the same speakers at Walmart) and based on the limited information from Crutchfield, they should replace the speakers in the back deck and doors.
    Seems like I read somewhere in my searches that (surprisingly) the "stock" speakers in a 4 speaker MP3/CD/Radio system are co-axial...I'll be interested in seeing if this is true when I take them out.

I really want to know about the tweeters (3rd pair) and where they go...
    Are they surface mount on the dash?
    or is there some place hidden under the dash that I can't see?
    or do they go in the door, somewhere?
    and what size are the stock speakers, so I can buy the same size?

also I have a 140Watt (35wattx4) DEH-59 Pioneer receiver (with remote) from my last car that I may replace the stock unit with if the speaker upgrade doesn't bring more out of the stock stereo...and to improve the sensitivity of the radio with the SuperTuner technology Pioneer is famous for.
    Pioneer 4-way 6.5" Speakers TS-A1680R $34 a pair

Wish I had some tricks on how to take the door frame apart before I try to ruin it myself.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 LGRpup's Avatar
    Thanks
    No idea where they put the other set of speakers, but one good way to find out is to go back to the dealer and look at a car with the premium audio system. In regard to the door pad removal, you need to go to your auto parts store and get a door pad retainer puller. I always tape mine up with electrical tape before I take a door pad of so I dont scratch the paint as much. Just take your time and pry the pad a little untill you can see behind it and then postion your tool between the retainer and the door and gently pull. Be carefull and good luck, because as mentioned earlier anything you fudge up is your problem, its not going to be covered under warranty.
    2008 GMC Sierra
    2012 Chevrolet Malibu LT

[/FONT]GM, Then and Now... Before you go and buy a import brand car because of the perception of quality, do a little research and you will find GM has as good or better quality than most of those other brands. It's not cool to hate America people!

[/COLOR]

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you are so interested in your sound system why didn't you just upgrade to the 6-speaker set-up?

Walking
    Thanks
    Tight budget...divorced father with support payments...like to do it myself.

Stopped by the dealer and was told that the tweeters go on the inside black triangle of the outside mirrors...the lower front corners of the door windows.

And the 6.5" speakers fit fine in the back deck...although the oversided TS-A1780R would have been a tighter fit (although I'm sure I couldn't have gotten them for $32 a pair).

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 LGRpup's Avatar
    Thanks
    Originally posted by JeffH@Sep 29 2004, 08:25 PM
    Tight budget...divorced father with support payments...like to do it myself.

Stopped by the dealer and was told that the tweeters go on the inside black triangle of the outside mirrors...the lower front corners of the door windows.

And the 6.5" speakers fit fine in the back deck...although the oversided TS-A1780R would have been a tighter fit (although I'm sure I couldn't have gotten them for $32 a pair).
    Heck you could just go the junk yard and get the tweeeters from a recked Ion or just get some replacement ones and drill a hole in the triangle and pop them in. My old Bravada I did something similar I bought some tweeters at JC Whitney and drilled a whole in the C-pillars and popped them in. Also I am glad that you pay attention to your support payments and make small sacrifices like getting the cheaper model car, but take it from a kid who knows that support money is not important at all compared to you being in your kids life, be a great father.
    2008 GMC Sierra
    2012 Chevrolet Malibu LT

[/FONT]GM, Then and Now... Before you go and buy a import brand car because of the perception of quality, do a little research and you will find GM has as good or better quality than most of those other brands. It's not cool to hate America people!

[/COLOR]

Walking
    Thanks

Thumbs up #1 Dad, #1 Daughter

That I am...
    I love my 11yo daughter more then anything...she makes me unbelievably happy, and I do everything to make her as happy as possible and she returns my love by being a perfect kid...loving, thoughtful, fun, no whinning (ever)...we are a great happy team. We talk and relate, we learn...
    I spend as much time as possible with her.
    Thursday, I'm taking off 2 hours early to pick her up at school on my visitation day (which I do every week), so I can spend 3 extra hours with her.
    I'm taking off Friday to spend the day with her on a teacher's planning day.
    I never miss a visitation, or a doctors visit (if her mother bothers to inform me about it). We do everything together...all the movies, all the parks, the theme parks, all the ice shows, annual passes for Busch Gardens, annual passes at WDW (since she was born). She enjoys her princess bedroom painted in her (Disney) colors, filled with Disney plush, clothes, princess gowns, electronics, toys and a large entertainment system with HDTV, Sony surround dream system and new computer.
    We go to WDW so much, they have her picture up in the back at the Storybook Princess breakfast in the Norway pavilion (literally), and most of the princesses know HER by name.
    I could go on and on and on.
    I have fought for my visitation and custody rights (pro-se) on several occasions.
    Note: She enjoys/uses the car stereo more than I (for music), I generally listen to talk radio.
    Young Tasha...
    http://www.naples.net/~nfn09449/BallPit1.jpg
    a little older...
    http://gator.naples.net/~nfn09449/99TashaPic.jpg
    Last edited by JeffH; 10-12-2004 at 09:03 PM.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information