Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe and Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe and Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe and Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

I realized that a direct competitor to the new G6 Coupe is the Mitsubishi Eclipse. Now I only compared the G6 GTP and the Eclipse GT because the base G6 coupe well kicks Eclipse's ass in HP and Torque. Here's some pics of the G6 and Eclipse: (I'm going to keep this review the least biased as possible)

http://www.generalmotors.ca/images/v...ain_ext_08.jpg

http://www.generalmotors.ca/images/v...ain_int_01.jpg

COURTESY OF GM CANADA

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/images...large_4_ex.jpg

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/images...large_1_in.jpg

COURTESY OF MITSUBISHI MOTORS USA

Well comparing the two style wise, the pontiac is the obvious winner, it's sleek, smooth, and pleasing to the eye, where the mitsubishi is awkward, and quite a turn off, just downright ugly. The interior kinda follows as well, the wood inside the G6 doesn't suit it as well as the chrome and brushed steel, you can't really find a good wood interior unless you're willing to spend $$$. The Mitsubishi's interior flows well with the exterior, so if you like the mitsu's looks, then you'll like the interior. They both weigh about the same and both V6's are far from slow, although the eclipse 4-cylinder won't be a thrill ride at 3300 Lbs. Styling aside, the mitsu V6 has good HP numbers at 265 HP, and costs a bit less than a G6 GTP, however, the G6 is a nicer looking car, comes with stability control, 200 watt monsoon stereo, remote start plus a few other features that make the extra few hundered dollars worth it.
    Last edited by IAMCANADIAN; 06-26-2005 at 08:26 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe and Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Quote Originally Posted by Mags

'Obviously'...LOL.

The new Eclipse is gorgeous car. I'm sure it's got a blind spot the size of a Mack truck, but that's irrelevant. It's what the previous gen should have been- an evolution on the shape everyone knew.

But let's play your game for a second, shall we?

Mitsu Eclipse with sport package- $26, 969 US.

I'll copy/paste right from the site:

Comes standard with: a 3.8-liter MIVEC V6, a six-speed manual transmission, traction control, a front strut tower bar, air conditioning, fog lights, a 140-watt (max.) Mitsubishi CD/MP3-compatible audio system with six speakers, 17-inch alloy wheels, an anti-theft immobilizer, a center display with outside temperature and compass readings, power windows/locks/mirrors, remote keyless entry, auto-off halogen headlamps, a split fold-down rear seat, two 12-volt accessory outlets, anti-lock brakes, a rear spoiler, six air bag safety system† and more.

But we added the sport package right? So here's the extra goodies:

One-touch power sunroof with vent feature; Eight-way-adjustable (six power) driver's seat; 650-watt (max.) Rockford Fosgate® 6-CD audio system with nine speakers, including a ten-inch trunk-mounted subwoofer; Steering wheel-mounted audio controls; 18-inch seven-spoke alloy wheels; Alloy pedals; Auto dimming rear view mirror; Automatic air-conditioning; Heated power-adjustable side view mirrors.

And the Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe- should come in at around 25k? I can't find pricing anywhere. I would assume leather is an option.

I guess the point is, they're very very very close in price, and when you 'max' them out with the options, the Mitsu has some reallly nice stuff on deck (18 inche wheels, killer system, more powerful engine).

MF
    yah i saw the site for the features and stuff, the mitsu provides value, but exterior styling that offends a lot of people, plus the fact that mitsubishi is essentially nothing in Canada, it never really caught on to people, plus the fact that they lied to their customers about recalls and defects for 25 years makes me wonder how reliable they are.

Thanks

As far as your ludicrous statement of 'offensive' styling as it pertains to the Mitsu, I'll leave that alone. Perhaps you're in the market for a more sedate offering, an Alero perhaps?
    Very funny the alero is more luxury while the pontiac is sporty, i would take a grand am since I like sporty, exciting cars, but the alero is more luxurious and is far from sedate, secondly I think the new mitsu looks like a piece of s*h*i*t, I actually preferred the previous gen's styling better than the new one, but that's my opinion.

Thanks

Then why would you take a Grand Am? </rimshot>

MF
    because the dealer doesn't have any that isn't either an ex-rental, or is a 4-cylinder, besides the alero has a nicer interior

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 370 Posts
    Blog Entries

I like the G6 coupe over the Eclipse. I have nothing against Mitsu, but the new Eclipse looks like a pig- in my opinion. However, all of Mitsu's cars do now...
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap
    I like the G6 coupe over the Eclipse. I have nothing against Mitsu, but the new Eclipse looks like a pig- in my opinion. However, all of Mitsu's cars do now...
    thank you!!! finally somebody who agree's with me

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

Add me to the list.

God Bless the Blue Bullet.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

G6 coupe is down right amazing, the Mitsu.... not so much. Plus rumor has it that a 260 hp engine is comin' for '07.. who knows why its not in it now..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy
    G6 coupe is down right amazing, the Mitsu.... not so much. Plus rumor has it that a 260 hp engine is comin' for '07.. who knows why its not in it now..
    but remember in typical GM fashion, first year's always have less power, then they get souped up, i.e. GTO, SSR, CTS etc.

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy
    Plus rumor has it that a 260 hp engine is comin' for '07.. who knows why its not in it now..
    I have heard that too, but I can't get it confirmed.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Vintalage's Avatar
    Thanks

I never found the G6 appealing and the coupe is no exception. I was attracted to the new Eclipse the first time I saw it. It's a throwback to the 2nd gen model. It looks more exciting than the G6 coupe. And I love the fact it has LED tails. Wish it had HIDs though.

I wonder if Mitsu is planning a GS-T return with the new Eclipse. Bring the Eclipse back to it's roots. AWD. Turbo if possible.

I see a strong aftermarket for the new Eclipse. Can't say the same for the G6.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vintalage
    I never found the G6 appealing and the coupe is no exception. I was attracted to the new Eclipse the first time I saw it. It's a throwback to the 2nd gen model. It looks more exciting than the G6 coupe. And I love the fact it has LED tails. Wish it had HIDs though.

I wonder if Mitsu is planning a GS-T return with the new Eclipse. Bring the Eclipse back to it's roots. AWD. Turbo if possible.

I see a strong aftermarket for the new Eclipse. Can't say the same for the G6.
    But you do have to admit that both these cars are light years ahead of their predecessors

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

i wanna see how the 3.9l compares to mitsus mivec 3.8, granted theres a 20hp/20tq difference, but numbers dont always tell the whole story

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 suckstobeyou's Avatar
    Thanks

the mitsu looks like a mini 911!
    04 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury/ Infotainment
    09 Saturn Outlook XE

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    But you do have to admit that both these cars are light years ahead of their predecessors
    Well it wouldn't take much to beat their predecessors.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information