"I Currently Own A Saab Vehicle; Now What?" - Volvo Targets Saab Owners w/Incentive - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "I Currently Own A Saab Vehicle; Now What?" - Volvo Targets Saab Owners w/Incentive

Thanks
    My Ride
    96 Viper GTS/11 MINI Cooper S

Re: "I Currently Own A Saab Vehicle; Now What?"

As far as GM "being required to stock parts for vehicles for 15 years", etc. I have posted on this until I am freaking blue in the face, but I'll do it again. HERE ARE FACTS.

1. Yes, I am able to buy GM OEM parts for my 1995 Camaro.

2. In early 2003, I got a letter from Dodge telling me, "We have just concluded building the second generation of Dodge Viper. As we move into building the next generation Viper, we want you to be aware that parts for your Viper are no longer being produced." By the summer of 2003, there were ALREADY certain parts you could not get for the 1992-2002 Vipers. Yes, even though some of those cars were still in warranty. In earlier posts on this subject, I went to www.viperclub.org and found posts dated summer of 2003 PROVING that parts were already unavailable because owners were posting about it. Parts counter employees and people from Dodge posted about it. There is even a thread where people post the specific parts they have found unavailable in that thread, and the contents of that thread were delivered to Dodge to see if they could help. So far, no help.

3. Goto the Corvette people, and ask them about the 1990-1995 ZR1. Parts for the LT5 engine were out of stock within 2 years of the last car coming off the line. Mercury Marine destroyed the dies after making what GM thought was enough spare parts (as they were required to do by GM). Problem was, when word got out that 1995 was the last year for the ZR1, sales jumped, and a lot of the spare parts were used instead to build more complete engines. Thus, certain parts were gone within 2 years.

4. Right now, AT THIS MOMENT, go to your local Saturn Dealer and order a fender for a Sky Redline. There are none. There have been none available for 3 months now. When the plug was pulled on the production of the Sky, GM had to guess how many of each part should be built and stocked for replacement parts. GM had no way to know that so many people would damage the fender on the Sky when they jacked the car up for oil changes. So, GM went thru the fenders at an insanely fast rate. No more can be made because the original supplier is gone.

On the Saturn Sky forum, we have figured out that when a Saturn dealer closes, GM tells the owners to go to their closest Saturn dealer still open. If there is not one within a certain distance, then GM authorizes other GM dealers in that area to do warranty work. So, SOME GM dealers can do Saturn warranty work, and others can't. Depends on how far you are from a Saturn dealer.
    Last edited by JeffInDFW; 12-19-2009 at 01:29 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Well my manufactures warrenty for my Saab just ran out at the end of this year, guess I don't have to worry. Plus I got one of those third party warrenties covering it till 100,000 miles anyways. They better find the parts or make them themselves if something happens to my baby.
    Last edited by Flyingbunnys; 12-19-2009 at 01:32 AM.
    Current: 1985 2.8L Chevy S-10 New! 2006 2.0T Saab 9-3
    Past: 1987 Trabant 36 cu in Engine
    -I must not walk to save a child, thats how it works-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mustapha Mond View Post
    Is this true? I thought a good deal of profit came in vending replacement parts for their vehicles. Moreover GM sells extended warranties for longer than five years. How would they fulfill such a warranty if they didn't make the parts for at least as long as the longest extended warranty term?
    -Elliott
    Weekend Salutations Elliott:

Earlier this year I drove my 98 STS out in the early evening to the US Post Office (In my community we have extended hour service, and special Express Mail). It was a warm balmy evening and I decided to open my moonroof (not often used), well upon my arrival home I discovered the roof would not close. I took the car to my local dealer (COAST CADILLAC) they informed me that the switch was no longer available I would have to purchase an entire head module (which they had in stock) at the cost of $735.00.

My philosophy is never to limit myself to a single option; I contacted my regular private Service Tech Tony, who informed me that the switch was available only through an Asian Cadillac part fabricator (bootleg), as GM only makes parts available for 5 years. He ordered the part, received it and my Moonroof is in working condition again, for less than $100.00. This situation is not the only time that kind of scenario has occurred.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G View Post
    One of the reasons would be that Saabs require a unique diagnostic computer (Tech II) which is not shared with any other brand. I am hoping that Saab Independents who have this diagnostic capability and are Saab master techs will be added to the Authorized Service/Warranty list.
    I hate to burst your bubble but all GM vehicles from 96 on used the tech 2, before that was the tech1 and now with certain 2010 vehicles we now use a laptop because the tech 2 is no longer powerful enough. Saab always was its own animal and the training for them was saab specific for the most part especially a few years back.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PAULSTS1 View Post
    Weekend Salutations Elliott:

Earlier this year I drove my 98 STS out in the early evening to the US Post Office (In my community we have extended hour service, and special Express Mail). It was a warm balmy evening and I decided to open my moonroof (not often used), well upon my arrival home I discovered the roof would not close. I took the car to my local dealer (COAST CADILLAC) they informed me that the switch was no longer available I would have to purchase an entire head module (which they had in stock) at the cost of $735.00.

My philosophy is never to limit myself to a single option; I contacted my regular private Service Tech Tony, who informed me that the switch was available only through an Asian Cadillac part fabricator (bootleg), as GM only makes parts available for 5 years. He ordered the part, received it and my Moonroof is in working condition again, for less than $100.00. This situation is not the only time that kind of scenario has occurred.

I work at a Chevy dealer and have for 20 years now, GM's policy for parts by enlarge is to make them available for 10 years not 5. Also some parts older than 15 years can be purchased through vintage parts incorporated which buys up new old stock parts from GM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

To summarize this parts availabilty debate:

- Low volume vehicles (Saab, Sky, Corvette, Viper) will probably not have huge stockpiles of replacement parts or suppliers willing to maintain tooling, etc for extended timeframes for very limited sales/profit potential

- High volume vehicles (Malibu, S-10 Blazer, etc) will most likely have replacement parts produced and stockpiled (plus easier salvaged parts potential as well) as there is a greater need and therefore greater potential for profits to entice manufactures to stockpile/produce for extended timeframes.

How does that sound??????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G View Post
    One of the reasons would be that Saabs require a unique diagnostic computer (Tech II) which is not shared with any other brand. I am hoping that Saab Independents who have this diagnostic capability and are Saab master techs will be added to the Authorized Service/Warranty list.
    The Tech II is what's used for all GM diagnostics. Perhaps you're thinking of something that's Saab specific.
    GM: 'Meet the new boss....same as the old boss!'

Thanks

Re: "I Currently Own A Saab Vehicle; Now What?" - Volvo Targets Saab Owners w/Incenti

I wonder if GM will sell the Saabs it has in its Heritage Collection?

http://www.turbonines.com/artman2/pu...-_Part_1.shtml

Thanks
    My Ride
    Pontiac G6X Coupe

Re: "I Currently Own A Saab Vehicle; Now What?" - Volvo Targets Saab Owners w/Incenti

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP
    To summarize this parts availabilty debate:

- Low volume vehicles (Saab, Sky, Corvette, Viper) will probably not have huge stockpiles of replacement parts or suppliers willing to maintain tooling, etc for extended timeframes for very limited sales/profit potential

- High volume vehicles (Malibu, S-10 Blazer, etc) will most likely have replacement parts produced and stockpiled (plus easier salvaged parts potential as well) as there is a greater need and therefore greater potential for profits to entice manufactures to stockpile/produce for extended timeframes.

How does that sound??????
    Perfectly said

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Q: If my dealer is no longer in operation, can I take my Saab to a GM dealer for scheduled maintenance and warranty service?[/B]

A: No
    Real answer = Go to hell
    Last edited by ejfx; 12-19-2009 at 09:45 AM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I would love to be a Volvo dealer in Sweden!!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC nhlkent11's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    40' Gillig Low Floor

I don't know about the Saab situation but as far as Saturn is concerned, good luck finding a GM dealer who will touch it. Just as someone else said, the nearest Saturn dealer has to be an ungodly distance from you. My nearest one is 34 miles and Saturn Customer Service says it is within the scope. I have not found a single GM dealer who will do any work on it and I called around 17 dealers. I drive the 34 miles when I need warranty work. GM needs to bite the bullet and pull Saturn under the goodwrench umbrella. That would certainly help retain some P.O.'d Saturn owners like me. I imagine that's the plan after 10/2011 when the contract is up on all Saturn dealers.
    My GM's
    -2011 Chevy Cruze LT 1.4T
    -2011 Chevy Equinox LT 2.4
    -1997 Chevy Express 2500

And.....
    -1994 Ford F150
    -1959 Ford Ranchero (still in restoration)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nhlkent11 View Post
    I don't know about the Saab situation but as far as Saturn is concerned, good luck finding a GM dealer who will touch it. Just as someone else said, the nearest Saturn dealer has to be an ungodly distance from you. My nearest one is 34 miles and Saturn Customer Service says it is within the scope. I have not found a single GM dealer who will do any work on it and I called around 17 dealers. I drive the 34 miles when I need warranty work. GM needs to bite the bullet and pull Saturn under the goodwrench umbrella. That would certainly help retain some P.O.'d Saturn owners like me. I imagine that's the plan after 10/2011 when the contract is up on all Saturn dealers.
    I feel you. Why is it that I drive what is essentially a Malibu, yet can't get it serviced at the Chevy dealer next to my Cadillac dealer?

I understand that I can't get it serviced at Cadillac and lets face it, they don't have anything at Cadillac that is even close to an Aura, Astra, Sky, Vue or Ion. So it makes sense that I can't get it serviced at the dealer i work for. But Chevrolet?! Even Buick/GMC dealers?

What a way to screw the Saturn owners after years of loyal buying.
    Mercedes: Irrellevant in todays market.

"I would never consider owning a Buick because of the sheer stigma of owning a Buick, no matter how good they got;"
    -Mgescuro the follower.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Some answers from Saab USA:

Q: What happens to my Saab vehicle warranty and no-charge scheduled maintenance?

A: Saab vehicle coverage will be unchanged. Saab vehicles will continue to be covered by current warranty and service plans, and customers should continue to have their vehicles serviced at Saab dealerships.

Q: If the dealer I used to go to is no longer in operation, where should I go for service?

A: The Dealer Locate feature on saabusa.com will help you locate the nearest authorized service locations. You can also contact the Saab Customer Assistance Center at 800-955-9007 for guidance.

Q: If my dealer is no longer in operation and the next closest Saab dealer is farther away, where should I go for service?

A: If your vehicle requires normal scheduled maintenance or warranty repairs, the Dealer Locate feature on saabusa.com will help you locate the nearest authorized service locations. If your vehicle cannot be driven, call Roadside Assistance at 800-852-9001.

Q: If my dealer is no longer in operation, can I take my Saab to a GM dealer for scheduled maintenance and warranty service?

A: No. If your vehicle requires normal scheduled maintenance or warranty repairs, the Dealer Locate feature on saabusa.com will help you locate the nearest authorized service location. If your vehicle cannot be driven, call Roadside Assistance at 800-852-9001.

Q: Is Saab considering creating new service-only points?

A: Yes, Saab is currently exploring ways to make the ownership process as convenient as possible for current and future Saab owners. Strategically located authorized providers who deliver only warranty and maintenance services are one of the ideas being investigated.

Q: Will parts and accessories continue to be available for my Saab product?

A: Yes, genuine Saab parts and accessories will continue to be available.

--------------------------------------------------

Source: Email from local Volvo dealer.

"From One Swede to Another"

"Volvo now is extending their owner loyalty offer of up to $1500 credit to any SAAB owner toward the purchase/lease of any new 2010 Volvo S80, XC70, or XC90. This in addition to current incentives and Volvo allowances result in a great Volvo Value and opportunity to stay in the Swedish Car family."
    Don't they mean stay in the Chinese car family? When I think of Volvo all that comes to mind is the Chinese.
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scooter10572 View Post
    I work at a Chevy dealer and have for 20 years now, GM's policy for parts by enlarge is to make them available for 10 years not 5. Also some parts older than 15 years can be purchased through vintage parts incorporated which buys up new old stock parts from GM.
    Thanks for the Additional information, I was told that the entire Head Module was from Vintage Parts, but that the individual Moonroof button was "obsolete." Not working for GM, I only rely on information given, that is why I can appreciate information given, without the negative attacks others give without consideration. The additional information was supplied that Service Centers have other vendors which may obtain the original design part from fabricators, this is where my replacement button came from and resulted in a $100 dollar charge, instead of $735.

BTW, I have been a GM client for 42 years, and a Cadillac owner for 26 of them!

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I guess where I work we have a much different attitude about service parts. We keep service parts around forever and even have a specific factory setup for manufacturing them. You can get parts for one of our products that is over 60 years old. We make great money on service parts. As an engineer I get to select what is offered as parts i.e. take an A/C compressor, we only offer the complete compressor for service, no kit parts. Sucks if you got say a bad bearing or dragging clutch that you could fix without need a new compressor. You don't even want to know how much money we make on the service parts we sell to dealers, then guess how much they make on the parts they sell to you! And remember use genuine OEM parts cause us OEM's love the coin we make off service parts!
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information