GM Inside News Forum banner

GTO or Firebird ? next retr0-Muscle

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  zeobandit 
#1 ·
What do You think Pontiac will release in next few years?..
is there a place for modern Muscle form Pontiac?.
i think G8 is not enough..
i have request...

I'm jurnalist from Europe...
I'm writing a series of aricles about Muscle cars..
now is the time to write sth about Modern Muscle..
can You recomand me some articles where I can find sth about this..

for example; definition of Modern Muscle:
1)Chrysler 300 SRT8 , Jeep SRT8 are Muscle cars? (for me Yes: big, powerfull V8 , and attitude (image) of that cars Jeep SRT8 is a Killer :)!
2)WHAT IS THE FUTURE OF Muscle cars:
for how long it will last..Firebird 2018 , the last Muscle car?...
...Hybrid Muscle..because of gas - prices?
I'm affraid that gas bussines alone will kill muscle...soon !...which i s the thing I hate most in economy (kill the spirit and free thinking :)
very interesting is also to speculate what retro-Muscle will come next..if..any more than saint three Pony cars we have allready....
I think Pontiac will make GTO, not Firebird (because of Camaro) ,
Cherolet can bring back proper Impala, Chevelle, ..or Monte carlo SS - nicelly done it could be a hit !
Chrysler has to rework Charger, because now it's a production joke (although as a Police car it looks Good ! :)
It wold be nice to see modern Roadrunner (great Michael Leonhard concept),
Barracuda which is my favourite has less chance I think to come back,....
Ford seems to be so glad with it's Mustang....But Torino is Waiting...mercury cyclon..??
I really wish GM , FORD and CHRYSLER a good weather (golden age) with Muscle car realease..it's what they should do ..! ..and do it fast before acountants , greenpease lobbies ..gas prices will kill the phenomena..

so hat do You thinkabout this topics....
please, if You can sugest some articles I'll be greatefull

ernest z.
ernwopr@wp.pl

See less See more
#2 ·
My bet, with gas prices still around $4.00 per gallon for the foreseeable future... The new Camaro might be the last new muscle car, for quite some time. Maybe FOREVER. IF the Camaro is a hit, then FORD will counter with a new Mustang by 2012/13. If they do, that will probably be the last of the muscle cars.

There will never be a new Firebird, If ANYONE believes Lutz, it AIN'T going to happen. PERIOD. The GTO is DEAD, and the total lack of marketing effort with the last GTO means that that name is damaged to a point were it we will have to wait a decade (or more) to have that car rise from the ashes. And its four-door stepchild (the G8) isn't selling; and like the GTO, was introduced lacking several KEY options to be competitive. Maybe next time we get a GTO GM will spend 50 cents on exterior styling... Or maybe introduce the car with an option for a sunroof. Maybe next time we get a G8 it will come with in dash NAV... We like to repeat history at GM.. Its just something we do.

Chevy (again if you believe Lutz) is going back to it FWD roots... NO Monte SS, NO fire breathing Impala... CHEVELLE? FORGETABOUTIT! While you are at it you could hope for an Olds 442... it is just as likely as all of the above.

Gas prices have ALWAYS been the nemesis of the muscle car. It killed them once in 1972/3. And its killing them now.

The other side of this coin is Americans LOVE their muscle cars... Find a way to fuel them for cheap and they will come STORMING back.

#3 · (Edited)
i dont think muscle is dead. i think hybrids will help muscle- it may be a different form of it, but it will be muscle. electric motors have peak torque at 0 rpm. 0!!! thats great for performance. i think a small electric engine mated to a big v8 would be awesome. it would have to be designed and tuned for performance though, with mpg as an afterthought. there is also biodeisel, ethanol, hydrogen (ever see the pimp my ride 500 hp impala that ran on only biodiesel- or was it ethanol?). these are all things that werent around back then. i dont think this is the end, but the end of what we know. i think things may just change a little- but the muscle car will survive.

and i think the holden 60 would make a cool gto. i really think pontiac needs to be all about performance (that means ditch the g5- unless its a gxp version only). get rid of the g8 v6, only the gt and gxp. sales numbers are so low that it doesnt really affect cafe anyway (and if every engine they made was e85 capable, that would help cafe alot wouldnt it?) pontiac should be performance models only

imo, i wouldnt really consider the 300c a muscle car, or the jeep srt because the jeep is a jeep and the chrysler seems to upscale to me. i always felt a muscle car was all about performance first with all the options second. big v8, rwd, engine in front, bold design, etc

oh, and someone said on here the other day that impala is going rwd.....

#4 ·
Why GTO failed? I agree
because of design and lack of image....it had Muscular engine and was fast..
You can see how design important is....look at 2005 Mustang, not a great technology but great retrofuturistic approach...

I think GM let pontiac make retro-GTO , it will get a second chance
I belive Gm should have one retro - midsize.....2 door/ 4 seater...that people wouldnt have to buy two Pony cars to go for a party,...Challenger is an exception ...
and I personally belive GTO's retrurn is more probable than Firebird's ....
although theres that G8 "gutless" think :)....
maybe Cherolet will get the chance in this segment,
i belive that the first producer will put a midsize on the martek the others will fallow
eahhh..... ok it has muscular engine :)
i think retrurn of midsize-muscle will depend of how strong will be the demand ( i know taht to ford write people where is retro-Torino....because Mustang is not enough...) and how fast producers will sell nowadays-pony cars ....

but You are wright, many people are sceptics...

look also at "Modern muscle debate" thread :)

#6 ·
A retro GTO w/a high HP'd engine w/compatible torque, would sell better than the last GTO.
Part of the last GTO's lack of sales was due to it having a bland exterior design, not just lack of marketing/etc.

#8 ·
I think you mean you like my new avatar. I was thinking Danica had been here for too long & needed to switch her out. So I did w/Miranda Kerr! :D:dro::dro:
She is a Victoria Secret Angel! :D ....& gf of Orlando Bloom, ****in' lucky bloke! lol!

#9 ·
How about resurection of Grand prix or Monte carlo (in chevy division)

this thing looks not bad..but buick rivieras from that time looks better,

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1997-to-2003-pontiac-grand-prix-5.htm?photo=1

this thing looks not bad..but buick rivieras from that time looks better,

why GM give up that 2 door "Eldorado, Monte carlo, buick regal or Grand prix ( form 80-ties _ " ) design style..... I think it's pure American....

modern interpretation of one of that cars would be a instant hit..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.