GMI's Revitalization in Action | The Dream Pontiac Lineup

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GMI's Revitalization in Action | The Dream Pontiac Lineup

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member
    Thanks

GMI's Revitalization in Action | The Dream Pontiac Lineup

GMI releases RIA Part II; The Dream Pontiac Lineup

Welcome to our newest Feature article here at GMI, Revitalization in Action; The Dream Pontiac Lineup. This article is the latest in a series of dream lineups for each of GM's brands. Revitalization in Action is a collaboration of GMI Staff Member and GMI Chopper fbodyrules. Our mission? To show, with realistic feasibility, how great GM can (and will) be. After Buick, Pontiac is up as the next part of BPG to be revitalized. Rumors are swirling that GM, under it's new philosophy of global utlization, will be reshaping Pontiac using Holden as the centerpiece, and kicking off the brand's revitalization with a lineup of RWD cars from it's Australian subsidiary. As Pontiac fans and GM loyalists, we know that the cars need bold American styling in order to succeed in this market. The success of the 300 and Mustang are evidence of this. We're expecting some Holden utilization, and Pontiac needs good market response, so how they go about this is critical to their survival. And that's what we're here for. Pontiac, take heed. Thank you for viewing, and enjoy!

Model Lineup:
    Pontiac Firebird - RWD 2 Door Camaro Based Coupe
    Pontiac GTO - Sports Halo 2 Door Zeta based RWD V8 coupe
    Pontiac G8 - RWD 4-Door Holden Commodore based sedan
    Pontiac G6 - AWD 4 Door Epsilon II based Sedan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2009 Firebird

Introduction:

Firebird enthusiasts around the world have been aching for a new Firebird ever since the discontinuation of the Camaro/Firebird twins in 2002. Hopes rise, then fall with each different piece of news. Agonizingly, Camaro fans got their wishes granted with the concrete announcement of the Camaro, eliminating the rumors and speculation surrounding that car. We've heard "Firebird's coming" and "No, there will be no Firebird". The latest news item the Firebird support team points to as evidence of a revival is the registration of the Firebird trademark. Wheather or not that holds merit is not the point. Unlike some others, we happen to believe that there is a business case to be made for the Firebird, if it shares high cost components with it's Camaro sibling. A new Firebird could bring excitement and passion to the Pontiac brand, a real "want" car that was affordable and available. Much like the mission set forth on the current Solstice. That car is accomplishing the goal of the GTO, yet, in small numbers. Pontiac needs a higher volume "want" car. Our Firebird is differentiated from the Camaro well, yet shares the greenhouse, engines and other important components. Something we felt was needed is a different interior, differentiated in the example set by the Solstice/Sky siblings. So here, we present our vision of a future Firebird, melding and blending cues from previous generations and presenting it in a new, way. Completely feasible, and easily doable, we present, the Firebird!

Specs Sheet:

Base Vehicle: Chevy Camaro
    Engines, Greenhouse, Platform, Components
    Engines: 3900 (3.9) V6 w/242 hp, 5300 5.3L V8 w/303 hp
    Note: Various Other Options and Engine Packages
    Transmissions: 5 speed manual, 6 speed Automatic

2009 GTO

Introduction:

Given the notoriety and importance of the GTO, we felt it was important that it be better differentiated from it's Holden brother, so we gave the GTO it's own, dedicated body based upon the Zeta platform. We felt that, as Pontiac's "halo" vehicle, it was important that it had to have a strong connection to the past. Slotting above the Firebird, the GTO is a sporty muscle car that has fresh styling, presented in a retro light. Simply put, the GTO isn't GM's Challenger/Mustang fighter. We'll leave that to the Firebird. GTO is intended to sit at the top of Pontiac's lineup; the more expensive, higher end muscle car, positioned at a higher, less accessible price point then the Firebird. We believe it's a true GTO, paying homage to the past greats, but a car for the future. What the GTO would be like if it had continued all these years. The GTO's planned introduction date is late 2008, as a 2009.

Specs Sheet:
    Base Platform: Zeta
    Drive Wheels: RWD
    Engines: 6000 6.0L V8 w/400 HP
    Transmissions: 6 speed Automatic

2008 G8

Introduction:

Following the release of the Holden lineup in Australia and after reviewing Pontiac's model schedule, it's looking (albeit, unofficially) like a G8 will be Pontiac's next new model introduction. The first model introduction in our lineup, the G8 provides you a very real look at the future of Pontiac and the G8 model, both in terms of styling and the direction of the brand. Simply put, Pontiac's got the Holden Commodore to work with for the next G8. Because of that, we expect the cars to be differentiated little beyond the exterior. That in mind, designing this car was tough. We had to walk the fine line between cost feasibility and distinctive Pontiac design. We believe that balance has been found.

Holden has a good car with the Commodore. It's been expected that this car will become the G8 for quite some time. We've seen Holden's with Pontiac grilles and numerous other chops regarding this. However, if GM were to do this, we believe the car would be a flop. Simply put, it's too bland for the North American market. Espessially in a world of 300's. This probably is close to the G8 you will be seeing, and a good representation of the styling direction the brand is going in. The G8 is a sporty sedan, with V8, RWD and a sports tuned suspension. It's sophisticated sportiness; a'la BMW, and carries over the luxurious interior of the Holden Commodore with minimal changes. As the replacement for the Bonneville, the G8 sets the $38-48k sports performance segment directly in it's sights. This proposed car provides you with a look at what the G8 might be. Our G8's planned introduction date is for late 2007, as a 2008 model. Expect the real version to show around the same time.

Specs Sheet:

Base Vehicle: Holden Commodore
    Engines, Greenhouse, Interior, Platform
    Drive Wheels: RWD
    Engines: 6000 6.0L V8 w/350 hp
    Transmissions: 6 speed Automatic

2010 G6

Introduction:

Undoubtedly Pontiac's bread and butter sedan, Pontiac has to make sure it gets the next G6 right. The current G6 has been a success for Pontiac. New, hot selling variants and models have been introduced and brought sales to a good level. As an important car, it has to embody Pontiac's new design theme, with a more sophisticated interior and sporty driving dynamics. It has to build on the strengths of the current G6, while adressing the complaints. Great progress has been made at GM in the mid-size sedan field, and the all new G6 comes primed and ready for battle, a true competitor in it's segment. Based on EPII, the next gen G6 goes AWD, with it's Ecotec Turbo 4 as the base and the 2.8 L 6 rounding off the engine lineup. Our all new G6 mid to late 2009, as a 2010 model, mirroring the all new G6's expected timetable.

Specs Sheet:
    Base Platform: Epsilon II (EPII)
    Drive Wheels: AWD, FWD base
    Engines: ECOTEC 2.0L Supercharged w/205 HP, 2.8L HF Turbo V6 w/250 HP
    Transmissions: 6 speed manual, 6 speed Automatic

Closing

Pontiac was a hard one. They've got heritage and a perception of bold American performance. The perception is changing into a Pontiac that offers an sophisticated American sports alternative, and that is continued with the products offered here in this lineup. Pontiac can be GM's BMW, if it's given the time and resources to succeed. GM should give BPG a chance, specifically Pontiac and Buick. Put some weight in their revitalization, and they will succeed and excel. We needed to keep the lineup small, to around 4 vehicles, and we felt the presence of the Firebird and GTO we're more important then the presence of the Solstice. That may be a contested and debated fact, but that really isn't the point here. This is a lineup of competitive, Pontiac vehicles that is in tune with the market. And it's a lineup that's not far from reality. Realistic and feasible, your response is paramount. Is this your "Dream Pontiac Lineup"?

Written and Directed by: GMI Staff Member ChevroletRevived
    Designs by: GMI Member FBODYRULES (GEORGE LOIZOU)

Links:
    RIA Buick Lineup, HERE
    RIA Saab Lineup HERE.
    RIA Saturn Lineup HERE
    RIA Chevrolet Lineup HERE
    Mini Site Homepage HERE
    Latest RIA Announcement (Important), HERE.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChevroletRevived; 02-15-2012 at 03:37 PM.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Clicking Here
    Follow me on Twitter @tonypimpo

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me HERE.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    It's about time! I've been waiting forever.......... Comments and criticisms to follow....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: GMI Revitalization in Action; The Dream Pontiac Lineup

pretty sweet, but the firebird and GTO style are kind of ugly.

i cant get past this!

why is the firebird a step up base camaro?

Thanks

Great job fellaz!!!!

G6, G8 look pretty good, let's hope the real things look like this! Firebird disappointed me though. Looks TOO much like the "Chestwig-Chariot" 80s versions (giant Jersey-girl hair, mullets, rebel flags.....) But you have MORE than made up for it with the stunning GTO. My Dad had a '69 and we loved that car. Your remake is VERY redolent of the original. LOVE that staggered bumper-end thingy! Aggressive.......reminds me of the creature from "Predator". LOVE IT!

Thanks

I really like the G8. The first two are kinda .......... different. I don't think GM will ever bring back the Firebird it would only take away from Camaro.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC AutoGrifos's Avatar
    Thanks

Both a Firebird AND GTO? You just couldn't decide, could you? I don't blame you!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar steverino's Avatar
    Thanks

Really nice stuff.

Next time please show a shot of the rear (I have a thing for taillights) next to the front end pix. Thanks
    What, Me worry - Alfred E. Neuman

Thanks

Also, I commend you for keeping a VERY important Pontiac styling theme that's been lost for decades.....The split grille. I mean a REAL split grille theme (-la Solstice), not a rectangular Chevy grille with a plastic divider bar.....

Thanks
    My Ride
    AMERICAN

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    Also, I commend you for keeping a VERY important Pontiac styling theme that's been lost for decades.....The split grille. I mean a REAL split grille theme (-la Solstice), not a rectangular Chevy grille with a plastic divider bar.....
    yeah your right, that pontiac flavour is real important

think of someone that you consider to be of average intelligence...
    half the worlds population is stupider than that person.

I own and drive classics, check them here:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/621647

GMi RIA concept cars i designed:
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/naias/revitalization/

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showc...008/08_00102_1

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacBixler's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

not bad guyz...

The only problem I have is the differences in the Pontiac looks of each car. Each one looks as if it is from a different manufacturer. The G8 plays host to the current kidney grilles, the Firebird and GTO both do their own thing and then the G6 is totally out there.

I actually think the GTO came out the best..... and you guys know how I love my Firebirds....
    What is happening to the GM that grew up with for these many decades? If I could I would institute a hostile take over and kick the entire board and executives out and fill the positions with creative minds under the age of 35.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Greg Burr's Avatar
    Thanks

The G-6 and G-8 should just be Holden rebadges. The Firebird does not lend itself to the whole retro thing -- maybe they should use the 67-69 years. The GTO has a nice front end but I think it too does not work.

Really do like the G-6 a lot.

Pontiac should be a boutique brand (smaller than a niche brand) that's like a lower-priced AMG. "Pontiac Motor Sports" sounds like a great name, until you realize "PMS" would be the initials. Still have to work on the name part, I guess.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Range Rover Evoque

The Firebird and GTO are different to say the least. But the G8 and G6 are smoking!

I have two additions to add..an updated Solstice w/ coupe variant and Nomad based on teh Kappa, but of course different name and Pontiac styling.

2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2013 Cadillac ATS
    Past: 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

Thanks

The GTO looks brutally good, if it has the horsepower to back up on that mean look it will be a winner.

The Firebird is ahhh meh, looks weakish.

G8 looks conservative, ie looks like how the real production version will really look. I wouldnt be surprised if its a dead ringer.

G6 looks sweet, a nice mid size Pontiac. Good work with the renders guys. Thumbs up!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC gotz_otto's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like a mid engine fiero, any pictures or ideas on that?
    [B][FONT=Optima][COLOR=gray] Gotz_Otto

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 black Fusion SEL

I'm not too sure about the Firebird or the G6, but I love the GTO and G8. While I love the Commodore SS-V the way they come, that front end treatment doesnt ruin it at all. I would drool over that GTO if it came out as well, might have to have both cars in my driveway! :-)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information