GMI Exclusive: 2010 Saturn Aura on "Hold"

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GMI Exclusive: 2010 Saturn Aura on "Hold"

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,622 Times in 372 Posts
    Blog Entries

http://www.gminsidenews.com
    June 26, 2008

It is one of the most-anticipated new Saturn products to date. Nothing is more important than a brand's midsize sedan. While the current Saturn Aura received much fanfare during its launch in late 2006, sales have been only so-so. As most of our readership knows, Saturn was supposed to get one of the first Epsilon II cars in mid 2009 as a 2010 model. That has, however, potentially changed.

GMInsidenews has learned that GM has placed the far-along 2010 Saturn Aura program on HOLD. Last week the Fairfax, Kansas plant was notified of the change. Keep in mind that the plant has already received much of the tooling for the new product. What GMI is hearing is that GM has had second-thoughts on the program (we heard possibly to rethink the car's fuel economy?). At the current time no information has become available as to WHY, specifically, the program is now on hold when it is so far along.

Such a change so close to the product's launch is very unusual, but with all the shuffling going on at GM right now, we are not entirely surprised. This does bring up the question: will this delay the Aura’s launch? We have yet to hear that, but when you place such a car on hold when it is this far along…it will probably cause delays on the launch. The car was originally intended to launch in fall 2009 as a 2010 model-year vehicle.

Review: GMI has confirmed with four independent sources that the Aura program has been put on hold as-of last week. There is no word at this time as to what sparked the hold. Stay with GMINSIDENEWS for the latest as we are always getting information.
    Last edited by nsap; 06-26-2008 at 08:47 PM.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Darc Requiem's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Taurus SHO White

Re: GMI Exclusive: 2010 Saturn Aura on "Hold"

Hmmm...this is curious, the Malibu with the 2.4 Ecotec and six speed gets good gas mileage. I figured that the new Aura would do well with that set up as well. Not to mention the fact that the car is all but done and the factory is practically ready to go.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 G8 GT

Thats a shame. I'm going to need a 4 door around 2011 and this was looking promising.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar prototype66's Avatar
    Thanks

possibly waiting for a better tuned powerplant and 6 speed gearing changes to better MPG? Another thought, possibly needs tweaking on front/rear crash testing to meet US regs.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Maybe they're trying to up the fuel economy a bit more?

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Does this effect the Insignia? Maybe they want to debut the 9-5 before the Aura. That way one can say that the Aura is based off the same platform as Saab as opposed to the other way around.

If it is because of fuel economy issues, I am glad that they are devoting a lot of thought toward it, I guess.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Like the saloon, the Insignia fastback will be available with both front and all wheel-drive. The AWD is fitted with the FlexRide mechatronic chassis system with its Adaptive Stability Technology, but is also optional for the FWD models. Seven engines will be offered at first, four petrol engines ranging from a 4-cylinder 115-bhp unit to a 260-bhp V6 and three new 2.0-litre direct-injection diesels ranging from 110 to 160 bhp.
    Could it mean that and of the above powerplants might make it over here instead?
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

As much as I like the Aura, GM is doing the right thing here and IMO what GM should do with the Saturn brand from now until 2012.

The 2010 Aura should become the 2010 Buick Regal (you only have to squint a little to see a Buick grille on the Insignia pictured) and from what I understand is what the Insignia will be sold as in China. This will give Buick a mid-size sedan with a 2.4L engine for MPG positioned below the Invicta and allow GM to ease the G6 out of production in favor of a RWD replacement.

What of the 2010-2012 Aura?

Keep the name but apply it to the Estate (Wagon) version of the Insignia and sell it as the Aura Avant, marketed as the high MPG 5-passenger (CUV, MPV?) companion to the 7-passenger Zafira. This will play into Saturn's focus on being an efficient "european" brand and give Saturn a mid-size entrant, and remember as much as we make a fuss about how small cars are popular in Europe, so are Wagons and they make an attractive alternative to someone who only needs a little more utility than a sedan offers.

The rest of the Saturn line will consist of the "Triplets", Matiz, Corsa (with a new name - "Saturn Corsa" sounds terrible), Astra (3D, 5D, Estate), Meriva and Montana Pickup (at least Saturn Montana sounds OK and can play on the "Hannah Montana" craze).

Why give Saturn the "Triplets" and Corsa?

Because they will be offered at select Chevrolet dealers as the "new" GEO, eliminating the need for GM to "re" create a brand, I like the GEO idea as it has been presented recently but lets face the fact GM really can't afford it.

Existing Saturn dealers will remain and GM will need to watch oversaturation, but it is manageable.

Doing this also reduces the number of models GM has to create and the topic we should be addressing as the real cost of brands is not the number of brands, but the number of models if all brands have full lines - restrict the total number of models and distribute them strategically and GM will find success.

Oh, and by 2013 GM will be picking up momentum at which time the 4-Door Sedan version of the Aura can return.
    Last edited by SierraGS; 06-26-2008 at 09:45 PM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 chickenkicker's Avatar
    Thanks

A sign that Saturn is being considered for the brand GM will cut?
    Cars:
    2004 Winning Blue Mazda RX-8 Grand Touring M6
    1997 Black Pontiac Trans AM M6
    2006 Ming Blue Pontiac GTO M6

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    The rest of the Saturn line will consist of the "Triplets", Matiz, Corsa (with a new name - "Saturn Corsa" sounds terrible), Astra, Meriva and Montana Pickup (at least Saturn Montana sounds OK and can play on the "Hannah Montana" craze).
    I don't know about the Montana, I'd say give that to Chevy and a beefed-up, tougher looking version to GMC to offset their full size trucks' low fuel economies. I think more people would buy it too if it were badged as a Chevy and GMC.
    And if the reason behind the Montana name is from Hannah Montana, I will never buy one for as long as I'll ever live.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,622 Times in 372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chickenkicker View Post
    A sign that Saturn is being considered for the brand GM will cut?
    I doubt it at this point (from what I'm hearing). GMI will have a follow up on the brand-cut story...we have heard of recent developments since that story broke. Look for that Monday-ish.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO M6 QSM/ black

Is this a simple hold to stop a product or is this a hold on developing new product for Saturn, which is what happened to Olds before it got axed.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    I doubt it at this point (from what I'm hearing). GMI will have a follow up on the brand-cut story...we have heard of recent developments since that story broke. Look for that Monday-ish.
    Monday?! I have to wait that long?
    *sadface*

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Power plant change? Turbo DI new gen 1.4L I4 as base Engine for America? Or perhaps the Euro SWB around 107.5IN was thought to be too short to replace todays long domestic Aura's 112IN.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Isn't this also where they are going to build the next LaCrosse? Hopefully, they are not S**t-canning the tooling for that right now.
    ....hmmmm
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information