Class of 1986: Aero Monte Carlo/Grand Prix 2+2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Class of 1986: Aero Monte Carlo/Grand Prix 2+2

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Class of 1986: Aero Monte Carlo/Grand Prix 2+2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Class of 1986: Aero Monte Carlo/Grand Prix 2+2

I've always been a fan of these "love it or hate it" cars. The 2+2 certainly looked more the part, but the use of the LG4 did it no favors.

If I had deep pockets, I'd go the pro-touring route with a 2+2.
    Current: '08 G8 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS
    Past: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z

www.fquick.com/demonspeed

Thanks

www.TESTDRIVEJUNKIE.com

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    http://www.facebook.com/testdrivejunkie
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 GMC Sonoma SLS

Car and Driver did a good write up on these in '86; I forget what issue though, I've got it somewhere. Maybe I'll post it.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

Plum gorgeous cars both!

How I miss the '80s.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Most of the 2+2s I've seen had the standard nose instead of the aero nose.

Never cared for either one, although I think the 2+2 looked a little better. The modifications made the trunk virtually useless and the performance was nothing to write home about. An 86 IROC-Z would be a much more fun and useful driver.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ke228 View Post
    Car and Driver did a good write up on these in '86; I forget what issue though, I've got it somewhere. Maybe I'll post it.
    I think it was in August of '85 - the Grand National wasn't the intercooled turbo yet, so its 0-60 was 7.5 seconds. The SS was about 7.8, and the 442 was way behind at about 9.0. Overall they liked the SS the best.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member
    Thanks

Years and years ago, when I was a teenager, I recall seeing a Grand Prix 2+2... I was just starting to get into cars and couldn't figure out what it was... it looked like a Monte Carlo but with Pontiac badges and a Firebird hatch. I was convinced that it was a homemade project, and only years later learned that the Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 truly did exist.
    All are heartily encouraged to check out and join the Facebook group for my automotive blog: https://www.facebook.com/groups/theautomotiveattic/

Thanks

Most of the 2+2s I've seen had the standard nose instead of the aero nose.

Never cared for either one, although I think the 2+2 looked a little better. The modifications made the trunk virtually useless and the performance was nothing to write home about. An 86 IROC-Z would be a much more fun and useful driver.
    All 2+2's had the nosecone, so those that you saw may have been ones that were wrecked or they were regular Grand Prixs.

I too was never a big fan of the 2+2 because it never got any kind of engine upgrage, it was using the same 150hp 305 that was under hood of a Caprice Classic. Of the whole set, I rate the Grand National first by a long shot, second the 442, and everthing else third.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    Years and years ago, when I was a teenager, I recall seeing a Grand Prix 2+2... I was just starting to get into cars and couldn't figure out what it was... it looked like a Monte Carlo but with Pontiac badges and a Firebird hatch. I was convinced that it was a homemade project, and only years later learned that the Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 truly did exist.
    The first summer I was in Michigan, I used to drive by the small plant that handled the 2+2 conversions in Ortonville. There was a lot full of identical unmodified silver Grand Prixs on one side and 2+2's on the other.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    All 2+2's had the nosecone, so those that you saw may have been ones that were wrecked or they were regular Grand Prixs.
    That's what I thought too. I've never seen one without the nosecone.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

I was never a big fan of the Aerocoupe & the 2+2. They looked like what they were, conservatively-designed cars with hastily added aerodynamic add-ons that were incongruous with the basic design language of the g-bodies. I much prefer the regular 'styled with a t-square' g-bodies; there's no false pretense in their styling.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 WoodieLongRoof's Avatar
    Thanks

The Aero SS and 2+2 were purpose-built homologation "specials" for NASCAR, to overcome the T-Bird's aero advantage on 1.5+mile tracks. The fact that you couldn't get much into the trunk because of its meagre opening was secondary. LG4 was a sad way to power a supposed "high performance" car, a shortcoming Chev avoided with the Aero SS, but putting the L69 in the 2+2 would have required very expensive and time-delaying recertification.

Having owned a 2+2, briefly, and being the original owner, still, of an '87 Regal Turbo-T, there is/was NO comparison in any regard..."wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?!" And a Turbo-T is actually even rarer...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    Oh, no doubt. I'm sure the nose cone was unobtanium by 1990 or so, and was probably pretty easily damaged.

Back in 1991, I me a couple who fawned over their 86 burgundy T-topped MCSS. Never could figure out how they expected it to be a collectors item in the realm of (I'm not making this up) hemi Superbirds.

I liked the regular MCSS well enough. Just wasn't what I was interested in driving back then, and its just an old car to me now.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 2doorpost's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought an overpriced Cutlass Ciera coupe in 86 instead of an Aero Monte.

What was I thinking?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information