Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10

Thanks

Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10

Howdy friends,

I have a little bit of a fixer upper project. I've inherated my grandad's old 1979 Chevrolet C10. This truck is powered by the base 250cid inline 6 cyl and has the 3 spd manual transmission on the column. This truck was not drove all of the time so it only has 60k miles on it and its 27 years old! We've only put about $600 into getting her road worthy and we've had her for just over a year. This truck is a solid, tough, workhorse and I would reccomend it to anyone whose looking for a used second hand work truck on the farm. We hauled 41 bails of hay on the 8ft bed, and this is only the I6! We average about 16-22mpg in a mix of city/free way driving. It would do better if it had Overdrive. I am just interested in fixing her up a little. I'm sure there are some restorers out there with some helpful tips and any would be Greatly appreciated. I love fixing up old cars, and really love my old truck. Any input in this thread will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 69Firebird400's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10

Hi CenturyMan - welcome to the boards! Sounds like a nice, solid truck that you have. My dad used to restore 1947-55 Chevy Trucks, which can be a really rewarding hobby. I don't really have any advice for you, though on how to keep it running strong, other than what you probably would know already.

I was going to suggest Jim Carter Classic Truck Parts (www.oldchevytrucks.com), but on their site, it appears they only sell parts up to 1972.

Good luck with it! Do you have any pictures to post here for us to check out?

Thanks

Check out LMC Trucks. Order one of their free catalogs, as they have more in them than they do online.

http://www.lmctruck.com/

Good luck with fixing up the truck, and as GM says, "The longest-lasting most dependable trucks on the road."
    My Former GM Vehicles:

1995 Grand Prix SE /3.4L giving out at 115K miles

My Current GM Vehicles:
    2002 Black Monte Carlo LS 157k miles, 3.4L running strong (at least its all mine now, not the banks)

1987 Chevy 3/4 ton truck 2wd, the first vehicle I drove to school. 100+k miles. Like a rock.

Wish List:
    GM truck with a Duramax (Chevy or GMC)
    Pontiac Solstice (one of the GXP) RIP, guess I waited too long

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

Id definently like to see some pics if you can take some and post them on here. I dont know a great deal about restoring, but I do know a little about the C10s and would like to know how the restoration progress is coming along. Im always up for searching the internet looking for info, so if you need any help, Ill do what I can.
    Last edited by HoeyHimself; 08-06-2006 at 02:20 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66's Avatar
    Cedar Rapids, IA (formerly sunny New Mexico (y muchacho lo falto))
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetrick
    Check out LMC Trucks. Order one of their free catalogs, as they have more in them than they do online.

http://www.lmctruck.com/

Good luck with fixing up the truck, and as GM says, "The longest-lasting most dependable trucks on the road."
    I was gonna mention LMC Truck. I performed some rust repair on my '79 K5 last summer. Replaced the rear tail support channel, the rear body mounts and gas tank. I got the gas tank powder coated and it looks sweet, plus it won't rust.

I'll be going back in a few weeks to replace all the tailgate parts to get 'er ready for winter.

My only problem with LMC Truck is many of the parts are made in Taiwan. You feel great that you are getting Chevy parts, then you see that many are made in Taiwan, kind of a let down.
    1979 Chevy Van
    1978 Pontiac Firebird
    1985 GMC S-15 Jimmy
    1992 Pontiac Grand Am
    1998 Oldmobile Intrigue
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28
    1972 Chevrolet C-10 P/U
    1979 Chevrolet K5 Blazer
    2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    2001 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x4 Ext Cab

"Sometimes you gotta say, 'What the *********'. "What the ********* gives you freedom, freedom creates opportunity, ... opportunity - makes your future." - 'Risky Business' 1983

Thanks

Start with the important stuff like brakes.

POR15 is great. It dries to an incredible rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture. It is great for floor board and other places that rust badly.

I have a 57 Chevy Pickup with 30K.

Good luck.
    Find me at: Motor Gnomes
    Follow me on Twitter at: Motor Gnomes1

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information