GM Inside News Forum banner

1981 Pontiac Grand Prix -YES, this is the one!

14K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  F14CRAZY 
#1 ·

The 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix represented outstanding accomplishments of designers, stylists, and engineers. With classic appeal, distinctive lines impeccable details, and aerodynamic efficiencies of the future, the Grand Prix presents the look of tomorrow.

1981 Pontiac Grand Prix Promo

See less See more
#2 ·
The future, ha! Boy, they didn't see the 1988 GTP coming, did they? Anyhow, as much as t-tops leak, those looked pretty neat on the GP. I'm so used to seeing them on old Monte's, but I never see the GP ones. Those seats (on the t-top) looked pretty futuristic, I'll give them that. Boy, do these videos make me appreciate the strides designers are making today.

#10 ·
Wow, that was a great trip down memory lane! I remember those very well as I was just a sophomore in high school. I would have never guess back then that I would own a GP now. It even has a 3.8l as well, however it's s/c'd. Back then though, I preferred the Monte, Cutlass and Regal over the GP. If I get my way, I will end up with a Regal GS next though!

#13 ·
Spot on. Pontiac eventually died partly because what had started right about this time, they lost their identity as a true performance division. This video talks about the Grand Prix being insulated, quiet, and smooth..... Until the late 70s Pontiacs were loud, fast, and hard rockin!!!! You'd NEVER find velour seats and acoustical insulation in a 70s Grand Prix. They were big and luxurious, but they were fast and high performance too.

Pontiac should have saved this crap for Buick and Cadillac.

#15 ·
Sounded like Otter from Animal House was doing the narrative.

#17 ·
I also liked that vintage of the Monte Carlo and Regal as well - it is weird seeing how high off the ground those cars were - particularly in the front. Even during the dreadful early 1980's, at least GM could still build excellent rear wheel drive products. As each of these models was replaced by front-wheel drive, this was the end of a powerful GM era. When their fleet became front-wheel drive, GM was ruined because these products were under-engineered and quite horrific in execution and design.

Unfortunately Government Motors thinks it can return back to the rear wheel drive era when it needs to think seriously about how it will meet the outrageous standards imposed by this out of control Federal Government. At a time when efficiency is the most appropriate way to go, Government Motors wants to recapture a period that never existed in the company's history. You see, Government Motors is no GM, even if it makes the same mistakes day in and day out. GM is dead.

#18 ·
1981 and 82 had to be the lowest point ever for both the Grand Prix and G-bodies in general save perhaps the Regal Sport coupe which actually made 175 HP in turbo 3.8 form. Yes the new aero body was stylish and attractive and the interior could actually be optioned with buckets seats, floor shifter, gauge package with tachometer and even the old Sport wheel that was std on the previous SJ sport model. You could also have rally IV wheels and even snow flake alloys which were quite stylish at the time. The main problem was the second oil crisis and the government and there demands for better mileage and lower emissions. Performance was out, mileage was in and the top gas fired engine for this car was a Pontiac sourced 4.3 liter 265 V8 that made 119 HP! This engine was coupled to GM's light duty 200 metric transmission and an economy oriented 2.29:1 rear gear ratio which helped achieve the 27 highway MPG rating. The standard engine was Buick's 110 HP 3.8 V6 which was rated for 30 highway MPG and the burly oil smoker 5.7 105 HP diesel was also offered. Gone were the sporty SJ model with it's W72 equipped 301 4BBL and 2.93:1 gears and dual exhaust and the rumor that Pontiac's 301 turbo would be offered as an option. Also introduced for 81 was the C3 computerized emission system and GM's 200R4 overdrive transmission in the full size line.

That second oil crisis really changed the direction of the 80's and the automotive landscape forever more.

With that said I owned an 81 white Grand Prix LJ coupe with the 4.3 V8 and actually have fond memories of that car as a 20 something year old back in 1993. It had a mint light green interior that was very attractive and comfortable, rode very well and was very quiet. It also handled quite well and despite the absurdly low HP figure would easily break the rear tires loose and got up to speed in a reasonable manor. Compared to the rusted out old Dodge Dart Slant sixes and Ford Fairmonts with Pinto 4 bangers that fellow friends had at the time my GP was quite the nice ride.

#19 ·
It's kind of strange that in the late '70s and '80s (minus the Firebird/Trans Am), Pontiac was becoming more and more entry level luxury oriented, and Buick was becoming more performance oriented. It's also interesting that the fastest Trans Am of that era was Buick powered.

#24 ·
I often wonder what would have happened with Pontiac had they retained their own 301 V8 and employed ESC and high compression - and/or developed the turbo V8. Olds had its own V8, Buick had the turbo V6 to play with and of course Chevy had the 305 - but in using Chevy V8s and the Buick V6 in the Trans Ams of that era, Pontiac lost a big part of its unique identity.

#25 ·
Oh God, this was almost like it's own bad-taste, dragged-out parody. It would have been funny were it not for all the clues that they've meant that in earnest. It is a joke on so many levels, starting with the fact that they are talking of a PONTIAC, for God's sake.

It's so smooth, elegant and contemporary that it could have just as well passed for a Chevrolet, Oldsmobile or Buick. Or, actually, isn't it one?

#27 ·
I really missed my 1974 GP for a while. Huge space even with the bucket seats and that 455 purrrrrred under the hood.

The only thing that sucked on that car was the carburetor!!! Got around 9 MPG, yep, only 9! couldn't wring anymore out of it. Along with the glass pacs and 4 barrell carb, it really smoked emm.

Only missed it for a short while, my '81 Camaro made sure of that.

#32 ·
Wow I get 15-16 doing 65-70 mph in my '74 LeSabre w/ 455

Still plenty of these so-called "inferior" 80s GM A body cars running around here in the snow/salt/rust belt
NY..................Plenty more in the south and west US.

FUNNY.........I don't see ANY of those "superior" 80s toyota/honda/etc. running around..............

So sad this site has turned into a GM hater paradise.
well they did make those A bodies until 1996...The classic car that isn't

#30 ·
You know - as a gear head - this car would make for a decent pro-touring car - and it would be fairly cheap.

It has a G-body frame under it - so all the kits from DSE/Hotchkis/etc would all bolt up to it.

Engine - swap out that crap v8 for a LS block.

The only thing that worries me about this car is trim, floor pans, patch panels that you would need...

As its a Grand Prix - I doubt the aftermarket is reproducing any parts on it compared to say a Malibu, Regal, Grand National, Monte Carlo...

#31 ·
Still plenty of these so-called "inferior" 80s GM A body cars running around here in the snow/salt/rust belt
NY..................Plenty more in the south and west US.

FUNNY.........I don't see ANY of those "superior" 80s toyota/honda/etc. running around..............

So sad this site has turned into a GM hater paradise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.