Please Don't Overprice The SS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Don't Overprice The SS

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6

Please Don't Overprice The SS

It's a Chevy. I understand you guys are trying to be upmarket and premium, but don't freaking overprice your damn cars.

The SS. For one with mostly your basic options, I want to leave the showroom at $40K, $42K tops. If it stickers at $45K, why would I not just buy a real sport sedan in the ATS?

Don't play a cruel joke on the people who actually waited for this car, GM.

Sent from a concerned citizen using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Please Don't Overprice The SS

Yah, don't overprice the ZL1 GM, okay, it will only cost 55k!
    Good luck.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6
    Yea, and if GM gave the SS an LSA, $55K is reasonable.

For an LT1, $45K is pushing it. $40K is a great base price.

Sent from Jo Momma using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 6 Shooter's Avatar
    Missouri Ozarks: LS6 Millennium Yellow Roadster
    Thanks

$40's, I'd say low ta mid $30's., ....

...bought the wife's G8 GT for that!

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrDenali View Post
    If it stickers at $45K, why would I not just buy a real sport sedan in the ATS?
    It will be bigger than the ATS with much more rear seat room. And it will offer a lot more power in V8 form than any ATS short of the ATS-V. That said, I think the biggest pricing issue for the SS is the Charger. You can get a Charger R/T for in the low $30s; the Super Bee with the 470 motor is about $44K. I'd say the SS's price will depend where it fits against the Charger line ... if it gets the LT1 with north of 450 hp, then I'd imagine something closer to Super Bee pricing.

The wild card if how many versions there will be of the SS. Will there be a V6 version (seems unlikely, but the Holden will offer it so it's not difficult to offer)? Will there be a base V8 and an up-model? I guess we'll know in a month.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

If its going to be like the GXP but with all the new Chevy updates, it will be north of $40k easily.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    the biggest pricing issue for the SS is the Charger. You can get a Charger R/T for in the low $30s; the Super Bee with the 470 motor is about $44K. I'd say the SS's price will depend where it fits against the Charger line ... if it gets the LT1 with north of 450 hp, then I'd imagine something closer to Super Bee pricing.
    Chevrolet isn't trying to outsell the Charger. They're offering an alternative RWD V8 sedan for people who don't want a Charger.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

The competition is other V8 sedans like charger. So it should start in the low $30s. However, by adding more standard features and moving it upscale, it should be under $40k. Observing how New GM prices their new products, I wouldn't be surprised with a $42,995 price. Then add dealer gouging, and I expect you will see a near $50k price at first. It's not a $50k car

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swagled View Post
    Chevrolet isn't trying to outsell the Charger. They're offering an alternative RWD V8 sedan for people who don't want a Charger.
    But as a true alternative, it needs to be reasonably competitive with the Charger's value proposition. I'm not really a big sedan kind of guy, but from everything I've read, if you need a sedan with some space and want something decently sporting, the Charger is a pretty compelling proposition: good power across the line, modern transmissions, good to excellent handling, a nice interior, good room and a lot of value for the money.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

What I'm saying is that an alternative is not the same thing as a competiting product. Chrysler builds a domestic sedan, and is prepared to offer volume pricing. Chevrolet is importing a specialty vehicle. Sales in the Lucerne/Regal territory of 20,000 units a year is probably enough for them.

There are probably that many people in the market who want a RWD V8 sedan, but for whatever reason (appearance, reputation, "desire to step out of the crowd") want an *alternative* to the Charger.

I sometimes read complaints about how the Challenger isn't priced competitively with the Camaro and Mustang. It doesn't matter. Chrysler only needs to sell 30,000 a year of them and they are meeting target. To some degree, Chevrolet is taking a page from their playbook.
    Last edited by swagled; 12-01-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    The competition is other V8 sedans like charger. So it should start in the low $30s.
    Specifically the competition is the Charger SRT8, I will be surprised if this starts under $30k...and rightfully so.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

Remember all the people predicting the Verano would be a failure, because "Nobody will pay that much for a small Buick. It's just a gussied up Cruze. And it's too bland looking."

Whatever. GMI easily fills up threads with naysers.

GM does get pricing wrong sometimes, but I expect the SS will meet pricing goals at least during its first year. It has been a long time since a RWD V8 sedan has been available from Chevrolet and that pent-up demand exists.

And yeah, dealer greed will be a topic just like it was when the Camaro convertible rolled out. Eventually the "additional markups" disappear. They always do.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Motors Man's Avatar
    Thanks

It just goes to show people are stupid and LOVE bland over priced under-powered cars. What is GM being shown by this?! What kind of products will GM fans get with this kind of negative reinforcements in peoples buying choices?.
    With GM, the less is more mentallity works best for that company;Charging it's customers more will giving it's customers less. How many cars is GM going to have fighting each other @ the $40k price point?

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 326 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Considering 2014 Impala pricing, it's a safe bet the SS will start about $30,000.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Since it coming overseas from the land down under it's going to be fully loaded with color choice as the big decision.

With the LT1 it should equal the dodge SRT 8 in power and price. Not the super bee version which has less content.

I believe the srt8 is 48 grand ....whatever the volume is on that model GM can expect about the same for the SS.

It works to help the australian factory stay busy..

Win win....but not a 24 grand v8 g8 gt give a way like 2008 and 2009....so I'm sure we will hear bitching from those who never buy anyway..... (kidding)

Originally I would suggest the camaro SS 2ss pricing for the new SS. THAT MAKES MORE SENSE TO ME TOO
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 12-01-2012 at 10:43 AM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information