GM Card (legacy) Max Limit Bump

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM Card (legacy) Max Limit Bump

Walking
    Thanks

GM Card (legacy) Max Limit Bump

Hey GM !

How about bumping up the $500/yr ceiling on the original GM Card? The card started (in 1994?) with a $1000/yr ceiling with 7 years of accrual for a $7000 cap. Then, somewhere around 1998, you cut the program back to $500/yr, 7 years, $3500 cap. Well, it's been 15 years now and the cost of everything has gone up (including the cars), making this benefit less and less valuable. As a percentage of GM Card holders, there can't be many people left in this program after many of them "switched over to" the "New" GM Card (in '98). Why not reward these loyal customers with a ceiling bump (say, to $750)? It wouldn't be without benefit to you. Many of these people probably stop using the card once they reach the maximum accrual for the year. You'd get another $5000 worth of charges (i.e. merchant fees) from every one of these card holders in exchange for $1750 more in rebate dollars at time of car purchase. Sounds like a win-win to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar tripowergto's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: GM Card (legacy) Max Limit Bump

Good suggestion! I stop using my GM card once I hit the $500 annual limit and just use other rewards cards instead.
    http://www.resurrectpontiac.com/

14 Crystal Red Tintcoat Volt w/black heated cloth
    10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426HP 6SPD "MAIDEN" (TOTALED!)
    09 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT w/sport/prem/sunroof
    06 GTO 400 HP LS2 6SPD(traded)
    02 Firebird Formula LS1 HURST 6SPD(1st new car)
    83 El Camino Conquista 350 4bbl posi(RIP G8 ST)
    70 GTO - 69 GTO Conv - 65 GTO Conv http://realrockpro.com/

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by tripowergto View Post
    Good suggestion! I stop using my GM card once I hit the $500 annual limit and just use other rewards cards instead.
    Ha! I do exactly the same.

However, I wont hold my breath for GM to bring the $1,000 a year back (I have the original card as well). If anything, I've been surprised that they haven't forced us "original" card holders to switch over to the reward plan all newer cardholders have.

It definitely was nice getting $7,000 off a car on top of any other deals.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ

I had the original card years ago then cancelled it. When I reapplied I got the "new" one. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of the old one, I would have gotten quite a bit off my G8 when I bought it.
    Current: 2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ sedan
    Former: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ
    Former: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT (still kicking myself for selling it)

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 GTO 09 G8GT & 15 MustangGT?

Contact Capitol One, they own GM Card now. I'm not sure GM has any actual stake in GM card right now. And knowing that disconnect between the two will probably lead to more neglect and weaker "deals" in the future.

2015 Mustang GT TY A6 (ON ORDER!)
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: Neanderthal LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I was getting 10 percent in December to build bonus points on the newer GM capital one card

Thanks
    My Ride

Just got my GM Card $2000 topped off offer good through Feb. 28th. Got the same thing last year as well at this time. Last year they extended it though April 30th after the 1st two months expired, we'll see if they do it again like that this year or not. I also notice there is an extra $1000 Exclusive Private Offer that looks like it could be combined with the $2000 top off, I'll need to check.

I won't be using it this year, but in early 2014 I'm hoping this offer comes around again. We will see.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *

Currently Ignoring: Neanderthal LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

Walking
    Thanks

tripo: That's what I do, but the drop off to the next card is fairly severe. I used to have the Ford Card running in parallel with the GM card back in the mid 90's. Both were 5% cards. The Ford card was $700/yr, 5 years, $3500 (or something like that), but Ford pulled the plug on that one only a year and a half in (for me). That card became the "Driver's Edge" card, which (I believe) is a 2% card (maybe)? There's nothing that I know of in the way of rebate cards that approaches the GM card. Most airline or hotel cards are worth 1% or less. Discover card *looks* attractive, until you read the fine print and "Discover" that there are so many points accrual tiers that unless you charge $100,000 per year you're only earning 0.00001% (exaggerated, but practically true). AMEX's Blue Card *might* be worth a try, but lots of places don't take AMEX, and the annual fee is high (I believe). Any other ideas?

BlackGTP: I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop, too! You know - they (GM) pulled a fast one on their customer base when they introduced "The New GM Card" back in '98. They heavily advertised "Unlimited Earnings" with no expirations so much that the parts that talked about "Redemption Limits" and "You can't go back to the old card" got overlooked by many (including my smarter brother). My brother is now reduced to only $1000 or (maybe) $1500 for the cars he buys, instead of the $3500 (or more) that he could've (and should've) still been able to use. It was a dirty trick and it probably cost GM some customers, but I guess they felt they had to find a way to reduce their liability somehow. If they ever reduce the program for me (us) further, I'm not saying I'll necessarily *not* buy a GM vehicle, but it'll definitely make is easier to consider the competition more. For my '02 Impala I had $5500+ in earnings to use and for my '11 'Nox it was $4500. Hard to leave that money on the table.

CajunG8: I'd be shocked if they let you back into the original plan. They clearly stipulated back in '98 that if you chose to switch to "The New GM Card", you could never go back to the old plan. There were several lines in that letter that should've set off bells and whistles, red flags, etc. but apparently some people just did not read the letter carefully.

Orbit Orange: Why wouldn't GM still have a stake in the GM card? They're getting a cut of the merchant fees on all charges in exchange for the rebate dollars toward a new car. The "plan" was administered by HSBC and now it's Capital One (due to a takeover, I guess it was). Not sure how it all works, though. Merchant fees are only 2-3% (I think). As far as the topoff deals, I've only been offered topoff deals right after buying a new car (when my total acrrued points were $1500 or less). So they'd top me off to $2000 (maybe), but that was it. And as far as combining offers with the GM Card (??) ... good luck! I've never been able to do it! If you finance, you could definitely combine that (eg: Ally's "Giving Back" $1500 promo at the end of 2010), but I've never been able to combine Supplier Pricing, Credit Union pricing, etc. with the GM Card. But then again, these prices were nothing special. I could always negotiate those numbers anyway.

JBsZ06: Hmmmm ... wonder if I was getting that in December (10%)?? That would be nice...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

I still have the original terms from 1995, but 7 year old points scroll off the card since I'm not ready to buy. I don't know if it's GM or the card company that benefits from that.

A few months ago I had to request a new card number because of fraud at a website where I'd used the old one. I thought the card company might use this as an opportunity to rope me into the new terms, but they left the old terms intact.

Walking
    Thanks

swagled: Yeah, I know about the 7-year window, too. On my last purchase ('11 Equinox), I let my points roll around an extra year or two waiting for the newly-designed Equinox to reach its 2nd model year. Before that, I very nearly bought an '08 Equinox 1LT leftover ($23k MSRP with a $4750 rebate) for a bottomline price of $11,000, and then a new, untitled, 2.5 year-old leftover '07 Uplander 1LT with every option but PhatNoise ($32k MSRP) for a bottomline price of $12,200, before coming to my senses. I *love* locating the leftover purchase-price deals, but a lot of times these vehicles just aren't worth buying - even at rock-bottom prices!

As far as who benefits from your points scrolling away ... it's GM. The credit card company is getting their cut regardless, but GM also got their cut for the year with you forfeiting your benefit! And I don't think the card company has any say in the GM portion of your agreement. They can change the interest rates and the fees, for sure, but only GM can change how your points are to be used (or whether the program will be terminated). And about program termination: GM can do anything they want with the program - terminate it at any time for any reason, but my experience with Ford says that GM would probably give us *at least* one year to use our points, which is not too bad. Even when GM was going through the bankruptcy mess, I continued using my card and accruing points because the same thing had already happened in the airline industry and nobody lost their points in that case.

Thanks

Since '98 they have been trying to get people off the old card terms so its high unlikely they will increase the rewards for the original card holder program.

I still have the old one and $3500 isnt chump change unless you are buying a $100k car
    ------------
    Goochman

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
    2014 Ford Explorer Limited

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Pontiac GTO M6

Points of clarification, if anyone cares:

1) The 'New Card' was introduced in 2001, not 1998.
    2) The maximum earnings you can have old card (assuming no top offs or other bonus accrual) is $4000, not $3500. Don't forget it's 7 years, including the 7th year of earnings, and earnings don't expire until the calendar month they were accrued in.

All moot points really. Given the nature of 'top off' offers, you're better off earning at most $5 in earnings and just waiting for your top off to $2000. Since, if you have $1500 in earnings when the top off comes, you'll still only be topped off to $2000. That said, I haven't received a 'top off' in a year (longest amount of time ever for me to wait), so, YMMV.

And, there are ways to earn 5% without the GM Card, and in cash back earnings instead of GM Points. AMEX Blue Cash Preferred -> Grocery Store (6% Cash back at supermarkets) -> Buy a $500 Visa/Mastercard Gift Card -> Use that card for your non-grocery store purchases. Net of the $5.95 purchase fee, you're still earning 4.8% cash back.

The GM Card is rather antiquated now in comparison to other reward programs out there, until they improve the program, I keep the card in the sock drawer and just wait for 'top offs'.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

I disagree a little. There are many card programs that rebate you 1 to 3 percent in various ways, but 5 percent on the original GM card is still pretty good.

The interest rate on my card is the worst of any of my cards, however. That's how they can afford to be generous with the points accrual. Carry a balance for even a month, and it negates the utility of your points quickly.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Including top off offers, I have saved $6,000 on cars in the past 4 years. No other rewards card will save you that much money on anything unless you are charging MANY thousands of dollars per year. And I got the NEW GM card in 2001 as well.

Thanks
    My Ride

Right now I only have about $170 GM card bonus on my GM Card. I haven't used it for years. With the $2000 top off I don't need to and it seems to roll around once or twice a year for me. On top of that I just checked out the exclusive bonus offer with a code they sent me and it offers an extra $1000 ON TOP OF the $2000 top off. So right there is $3000 off practically any model. I'd feel a little cheated if you did the the standard way of running up my GM card bonus cash by charging on my card. I feel for some of the original card owners that work their way up to say $3000 off and GM just tosses it at some of us. Again I'm hoping for one more round next year. With $3000 and another $750 for being a USAA member it makes for a nice starting point. Good luck to the OP.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information