Why Buick's Encore wasn't a Chevy

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Buick's Encore wasn't a Chevy

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Autoblog
    Buick Encore forums
    October 31, 2012
    by Chris Paukert

Buick is taking a gamble with its 2013 Encore. General Motors' near-luxury brand has enjoyed great success attracting conquest buyers to its larger Enclave crossover, but it has never offered something quite like this small CUV.

Very early signs suggest that the gamble might be working. According to Mark Reuss, President of General Motors, the automaker expected about 1,500 initial orders from its dealers for the Encore, but it's tracking closer to 9,000 units. Alluding to the fact that historically, Buick has shared similar products with GM's other brands, Reuss says that Buick dealers are "thrilled to have an exclusive." The automaker already markets almost identical models in other markets as the Opel/Vauxhall Mokka and Chevrolet Trax, but The General's other brands won't offer a twin to the new baby Buick.

Some industry watchers have openly wondered whether the Encore is a good fit for Buick, as GM has been steadily working to turn the brand into a more premium marque to tackle the likes of Acura and Lexus. Those same pundits have suggested that the Encore's small size and limited power would perhaps play better under the Chevrolet banner, especially as there would appear to be enough white space below Bowtie's very popular Equinox CUV. Autoblog approached Reuss with this notion at a media roundtable today, and the executive bristled, stating categorically that the Trax "would have never worked" in North America because of financial and packaging reasons, not to mention the fact that the model doesn't wear Chevrolet's new design language (as seen in the 2014 Impala).

Full article at link.
    Last edited by Administrator; 08-14-2013 at 03:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Why Buick's Encore wasn't a Chevy

Evidently someone was thinking America as opposed to North America as the Trax will be sold in Canada and Mexico.

Thanks

The only real problem I have with the Encore is where it will be built: South Korea... That's also the reason my sister dropped it from her shopping list.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    The only real problem I have with the Encore is where it will be built: South Korea... That's also the reason my sister dropped it from her shopping list.
    Same.

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Evidently someone was thinking America as opposed to North America as the Trax will be sold in Canada and Mexico.
    Yeah, I find that confusing myself. I had vague ideas about buying a Chevrolet Trax in AWD because I live in Canada.
    AWD wagons
    Feeling Good by David Burns

Biodiesel forum
    http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751
    Fuel documentary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CBOdgBlk8

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Same.
    Ditto. I think the plan is to eventually add it, and two similar sized CUVs (a Cadillac, and perhaps the Trax for the Canada/Mexican Market) to Orion Assembly.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    That's why I'm voting for Romney. I'm not spending my tax dollars so Chrysler and GM can ship jobs over to China!!! Dang Italians!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoney View Post
    That's why I'm voting for Romney. I'm not spending my tax dollars so Chrysler and GM can ship jobs over to China!!! Dang Italians!!!
    Look up the word "gullible".
    "Common Practice Does Not Necessarily Mean Common Sense"

'09 Vue, '11 Malibu LTZ.

Thanks

I still find it odd that American's would buy more of these then they would Verano Wagon's if it was offered. Especially considering this pokely little runt only comes with a 1.4T, and the Verano can be had with a 2.0T

Up here in Canada, we are going to get both the Trax and the Encore..... will be interesting to see how the sales split goes

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Ever used mapquest or google maps. You can pick from multiple routes, all going to the same destination. Such is the same for the mentioned rational.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

stating categorically that the Trax "would have never worked" in North America because of financial and packaging reasons, not to mention the fact that the model doesn't wear Chevrolet's new design language

Does he not realize just how stupid that statement makes him look. They are doing both in Europe despite the Captiva. And following that logic the Cruze should be discontinued because it should "have never worked" and maybe Chevy needs to d/c the Traverse as well. Worst case scenario the Chevy turns out to be runaway hit making the Encore unsuccessful by offering it to both brands. If it duds as a higher priced Buick then it is going to be nearly impossible to roll it back out as a lower priced/lower features small CUV ala the Juke for the masses.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

Quote Originally Posted by Railfan View Post
    Look up the word "gullible".
    The beauty of sarcasm, but your statement is so true. I know many a people try to explain the global auto industry to everyone. Korea is an export hub. They are supplying vehicles for many markets. Although, it would be nice if Chevy built the Trax where the Sonic is being built.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
    Ever used mapquest or google maps. You can pick from multiple routes, all going to the same destination. Such is the same for the mentioned rational.
    Apparently my sarcasm application is not calibrated to forum specifications. Back to the drawing board.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Corvette

That-a-way to really study and understand an issue. Real deep.

Would have been much better to have GM and Chrysler go under too.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information