GM Inside News Forum banner

What We Know – Alleged Buick Anthem Crossover

35K views 76 replies 55 participants last post by  cdp326 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Buick allegedly gaining a crossover to slot between Encore and Enclave.
www.GMInsideNews.com
June 26, 2013
By: Nick Saporito

2013 Buick Enclave

In recent weeks spy shots of a swoopy looking crossover have surfaced, allegedly of an upcoming Buick that insiders claim wears the name “Anthem.” As typical, much speculation has arisen since the spy shots came out, including whether or not the alleged Anthem is even intended for the North American market, or if it will be reserved exclusively for Buick’s lucrative Chinese market.

GMI has since been able to clear up some of the speculation surrounding the Anthem crossover, including that it will be built off of GM’s global compact architecture, also known as “Delta.” The size of the crossover in the spy shots seems to validate it’s alleged foundation dimensionally, and it has been well-known that GM intends to reduce the number of platforms it utilizes globally in effort to reduce development costs.

Building the Anthem on the Delta platform would likely net a crossover that is--size wise--positioned right between the recently launched Encore and the significantly larger Enclave. Buick would essentially be covering all crossover bases with the three prong approach.

Additionally, every indication is that the Anthem will indeed be sold in both North America and China under the Buick nameplate. According to sources familiar with GM product planning, the Anthem will most likely begin production in mid-2014 as a 2015 model in both North America and China, with the Chinese launch being a bit behind the North American launch.

As the case with most shared Buicks between North America and China, the Anthem will likely utilize different engines on both continents. GMI has not been able to confirm specifics regarding engines for the Anthem, however we have a hunch that GM’s well-known 2.5 and 2.0-turbo four-cylinders will be involved, at least in North America.

So, why is Buick allegedly gaining another crossover when they already have two? According to the Wall Street Journal, crossover sales are up nearly 14-percent so far this year, and most analysts are predicting even larger surges in sales of small crossovers in the future. Couple crossover success with Buick’s resurgent brand image, and a midsize crossover may flow right into the Buick anthem, pun intended.

As for the name, GMI has been told for the last year that Anthem was the finalized marketing name for this Buick, but nothing is final until its actually revealed.

See less See more
#5 ·
I think it's obvious why Buick needs mid-sizer. We have the giant Enclave and tiny Encore. The demand is there and well-priced Buick should excel.

Before this turns into a thread about cannibalization of other crossovers within GM, Buick is their own brand with their own needs. The Anthem has nothing to do with the Terrain, SRX or Nox. Assuming that someone will want to simply pick up another GM mid-sizer is erroneous at best. GM has three Lambdas and all of them sell extremely well without conflicting with each another.

#6 ·
Aren't the next gen Equinox and Terrain going on Delta? Sounds like this might give us a sneak peek at what to expect from those vehicles.

I don't blame GM for adding another crossover. If the market is that hot and Buick has room in their lineup, then I say go for it. I just hope it's differentiated enough from the rest of GM's portfolio.

IMO, "Anthem" is a better name for a Buick flagship vehicle that sets the tone for the brand, not a mid sized crossover. Just my $0.02.

#17 ·
In terms of handling and styling, maybe. But, as far as mechanical tech, I think this needs to blow away what the Escape is right now. This is going to be coming out what----3 years after the current escape is on the market? It needs at LEAST the following if it is launching still 1-1.5 years from now:

-if it is going to have the 2.5 and 2.0t, the 2.5 must have all the updates that the new Malibu has...including start-stop.

-8 speed automatic, get it in this car if you still have over a year

-no black plastic strips below the headlights, or ugly fog light covers (like the Encore has the strips and the Equinox and many others have ugly fog light covers) Its 2013, how about designing a vehicle without fog lights at all, give the upscale models the 'row of leds' and the models below nothing (integrate the body with where they would go)

-No tiny/ugly wheels on the 'entry level model' As someone mentioned above, do what you did with the Encore---one wheel size and one tire available, and then design the handing dynamics of the vehicle around that exact combination. If you want, give a different desing of a wheel for upscale trims, but that is it.

-Get everything lined up so you can launch ALL models and ALL trims with ALL engine choices at the same time.

-Finally, when you do finally decide to leak pictures, or announce it is coming, or show it off at the auto show, have it ready to be on dealer lots within 6 months (or less) of that time. Don't tell us about it, give us some information, then make loyal GM customers and fans wait a year or more for the chance to buy it.

#9 ·
Good, I'm glad to see that hole in the line plugged. Hopefully it is a tad bit smaller than the Equinox/Terrain (not a lot smaller, just a little bit) but yet significantly bigger than the Encore. If they can keep the curb weight down to 3600-3700 for FWD and 3800-3900 for AWD, the 2.5 for a base engine and 2.0 turbo for the uplevel engine would be fine. HOPEFULLY by then GM will have an 8 speed automatic available to bump up fuel economy 1-2 more?

Oh, and take a page out of the Encores book, give it 18" or 19" wheels STANDARD across the board...the uplevel trims can get a different design or finish, but if you think it looks good with one size, give EVERY version that size.

#22 · (Edited)
GMI has since been able to clear up some of the speculation surrounding the Anthem crossover, including that it will be built off of GM’s global compact architecture, also known as “Delta.” The size of the crossover in the spy shots seems to validate it’s alleged foundation dimensionally, and it has been well-known that GM intends to reduce the number of platforms it utilizes globally in effort to reduce development costs.
Nick, is there any chance that this new Buick will be co-developed with (or also intended to be used by) Opel?

The current Opel Antara is getting long in the tooth and occupies the same market segment. I'm assuming that all Theta based products will eventually migrate to the new Delta-derived platform when those vehicles are replaced (the overseas Chevy Captiva, and our own Equinox and Terrain), right?

Since Akerson has made it known that he wants to see further sharing/co-development between Opel-Vauxhall and Buick, could that mean the Opel Antara will just be a clone of the Buick Anthem (I've also heard Envision as a possible name)?

#48 ·
I was wondering the same thing. I think this new Buick CUV will align with Opel's next gen Antara.

I also believe that the next gen Equinox and Captiva will align on this platform. The resulting CUV will probably be a world vehicle that will carry whichever name is established in a given market.

The statements above are just guesses on my part, though...

#27 · (Edited)
I hear you, but you never know what they're working on behind the scenes.

Still, as nsap stated, I'm sure the growing number of crossover sales and the popularity of that segment among consumers puts the Anthem (or Envision?) a peg or two up in the priority pecking order.

Product planners have a lot to weigh and measure when figuring out their portfolio strategy. Though I can only surmise that the car enthusiasts among them want to get a flagship car or sport sedan to market asap, such a vehicle would have limited volume and tie up a lot of resources to develop. Comparing that to the volume that can be realized in a growing segment, and it has to be hard for them to turn their backs on selling more Buicks to customers looking for a mid-sized crossover SUV.

Just my take on it.
Anthem for anyone outside the U.S. sounds too patriotic. It sounds like good old American bragging in your face kind of name.
Perhaps it does at that. Though for the Chinese customer, perhaps it would sound nearly as patriotic since they've kind of "embraced Buick as their own" brand?

#26 ·
Re: What We Know – Alleged Buick Anthem Crossover

I always thought a midsize CUV should have come before the Encore. It's just too big of a gap between the dinky Encore and the huge Enclave. I don't think this will cannibalize the Equinox or Terrain at all, even though a lot of Buick and GMC franchises are paired. Buick has soft, elegant, fluidic lines, whereas GMC has chunky, macho, square styling. So much of the car buying purchase process and appeal is emotional, and even if they're virtual clones under the sheetmetal, they will appeal to totally different buyers.

#32 ·

I always thought a midsize CUV should have come before the Encore. It's just too big of a gap between the dinky Encore and the huge Enclave. I don't think this will cannibalize the Equinox or Terrain at all, even though a lot of Buick and GMC franchises are paired. Buick has soft, elegant, fluidic lines, whereas GMC has chunky, macho, square styling. So much of the car buying purchase process and appeal is emotional, and even if they're virtual clones under the sheetmetal, they will appeal to totally different buyers.
Exactly. Why we got the Encore first is amazing. Considering that GM thought the Terrain would sell maybe 60k a year and its blown them away it was a no brainer to do a midsize yet we have to wait 5 years to get one from Buick? So weird.

#29 ·

I share the same sentiments as DetroitIron. On the other hand I can also see the wisdom behind the product planning here. If Buick can get this midsizer right and continue the sucess with the rest of its CUV line, it will have a successful foundation off of which other models--like a Riviera and GNX?--can be birthed.

Here's to this stealing sales from the RX :drive:

#31 ·

I share the same sentiments as DetroitIron. On the other hand I can also see the wisdom behind the product planning here. If Buick can get this midsizer right and continue the sucess with the rest of its CUV line, it will have a successful foundation off of which other models--like a Riviera and GNX?--can be birthed.

Here's to this stealing sales from the RX :drive:
I get the impression it will be smaller than the RX

#33 ·
How many crossovers is too many?? I'm clear that there's a whole segment in between Encore and Enclave, but I wonder how much cannibalization will occur by offering a vehicle in all 3 segments? And with GM's penchant for overlap pricing, I'm quite concerned that this could end up being a zero-sum deal.

#37 ·
I hope the Anthem HAS some/all of the Opel "TECH/unique features" added in LIKE Opel EYE and FLEX-FIT and AFL+ stuff like that would help make Buick a step ahead of Chevy and NOT purely a step below Caddy
my "LOOK" on gm's midsize CUVS

chevy Equinox all around good value 2.5L start/stop
GMC terrain more "granit like" with a manly OFFroad look offering some advanced features and options
Buick Anthem more Urban "sculptured" looking packed with the same features as Opel and the Terrain IE flex-fit ETC both Terrain and Anthem are more LIFESTYLE aimed optioned with LOW boost 2.0T

Caddy SRx all about the LUX 2.0T "high boost"

I would love for CADDY to also bring out a "ELx" say starting with the Orlando and adding Voltec as I believe the Orlando would accept Voltec better then the CUV versions due to the larger interior space for the LARGE "T" batteries

#38 ·
This vehicle, IMHO, will be a sales success. This new "Anthem" has the potential to be the best selling luxury crossover, but it really all depends on price point. Where do they plan to have the Anthem start at? $32,000?

The only complaint I have with the car is the name. It should be "Rainier". Other than that, it's the perfect vehicle for Buick that it should have had years ago.

#43 · (Edited)
Thats a terrible idea, GMC moves to many other products too well. It's a cash cow compared to Ram. Besides Ram isn't really a player in the overall truck market anyway.

Why the heck weren't the Equinox/Terrain twins built off Delta in the first place? Was it something more substantial than the desire to twiddle with the specs?
Timing, the Delta II wasn't out yet.

#42 ·
I don't like CUVs at all, but I saw an Encore the other day and it looked very good.

The demand for CUVs is huge, so Buick needs this vehicle more than any other; and I mean Riviera.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.