GM Inside News Forum banner

US-bound Buick Envision Update

11K views 90 replies 50 participants last post by  Cheyenne454 
#1 ·
Buick Envision Arriving in US Next Year
autoguide.com
By Stephen Elmer
July 24, 2015

Automotive News is reporting that the Envision should be hitting our shores as expected, but it will be arriving to our shores a bit later than expected - by the fall of 2016. By then, it will already be a two year-old model for the Chinese.

But new blood in Buick's portfolio is nevertheless a welcome event.

The Envision will fit into the lineup between the Buick Encore and Enclave. It is roughly the same size as the Chevy Equinox and will compete with other luxury midsize crossovers.

In China, the Envision uses a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that makes 256 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque which might be the engine when it arrives in North America.
Articles are available at the links above.

See less See more
#26 ·
No. They won't import it when they already have 2 assembly plants in N.A. that can take the extra 30k or 40k units per year.

#4 ·
It might meet market resistance because of where its coming from. Gonna see and hear all kinds of names for it now.

Reactions: SierraGS
#5 ·
Made in China, packing only 250 HP and supposed to be "premium". Not a good combo, especially when it will probably weigh 3800-4000 lbs.

Another potentially very nice vehicle that will be let down by a mediocre engine.

Come on GM, quit crippling your newest stuff!

Reactions: InvictaMan
#17 ·
If they can keep it closer to 3800lbs, the 250+hp of the LTG should move it pretty decently, would be about the same power/weight of a Regal Turbo.

#6 ·
Buick Envision Arriving in US Next Year
autoguide.com
By Stephen Elmer
July 24, 2015

Automotive News is reporting that the Envision should be hitting our shores as expected, but it will be arriving to our shores a bit later than expected - by the fall of 2016. By then, it will already be a two year-old model for the Chinese.

But new blood in Buick's portfolio is nevertheless a welcome event.

Articles are available at the links above.
Wasn't this info in a thread last week? Just saying.

#8 ·
Please show me the link to the article you mention.

In the end, this article is just showing when it supposedly is going to hit dealerships in America, which hasn't been articulated as clearly in the past (including the article you are referring to).

#21 ·
Where does GM see this competing? Certainly not against Lexus, Audi, BMW or Mercedes. Maybe against Hyundai/Kia
Possibly it competes with nothing, which is sort of a novel idea. With myself included we always want to categorize everything and go crazy when there isn't a direct competitor. For example, there doesn't appear to be a direct competitor to the CT6 and I think that drives us all nuts!

#32 ·
You could typically lump me in with the global community outlook people but I'm with you here. Nothing personal against the human beings of China and their ethic. They want nice things and fair conditions just like us "civilized" (sarcasm) people. That whole communist thing might jam them up though.

iPhones are designed here and produced there and generally are a good product. Generally. Hopefully Buick follows suit. But I'm not holding my breath.

#20 ·
I agree with the concerns regarding China-made, but it seems that we have never received any definitive word on this subject. The fact is, I don't think we know with any certainty where a U.S.-market Envision will be built.

As a Buick enthusiast, I must again note my disappointment that GM seems reluctant to really invest in Buick for the North American market. When I look at the billions that have been allocated to Cadillac, the decisions are completely perplexing to me.

#25 ·
As well as the other Buick CUV's sell, they should easily be able to justify making it here in North America. I'm hoping they will. Of course people are snatching up the Encore which comes from Korea. Most people don't really care where a car comes from or the economic impact of their purchases. Can't believe it isn't already here, can't be here soon enough.

#28 ·
If the vehicle is built in the USA -- and I hope it will be -- it is especially regrettable that GM has not stayed in front of the rumors with solid information.

Regardless of where it's built, I can already foresee all the Internet posts from uninformed individuals who are commenting that the Envision is built in China.

#57 ·
We are long past the denial stage regarding the Envision. At this point US market Envisions will be imported from China. It is only the date they will arrive at Buick dealers and the price that is in question. Trying to sell a cheap Chinese import as a Buick will begin the ruin of the Buick name in the US!

#55 · (Edited)
This car is so bad for GM from a PR standpoint that it will negate any sales value or profit potential. A Chinese Buick would be bad enough on its own under normal circumstances but given that GM was bailed out by the American taxpayers whose money kept them in business this move will seem like the proverbial poke in the eye to many. GM would be better off with a hole in the Buick lineup than to offer a Made in China product to fill it.

The bad press that will surely arrive along with the first boatloads of Buicks will only sour the American public on GM as a company once again. It will be an albatross around their necks. There is no way the American media is going to let this thing quietly arrive and be sold. It will make news and all those prospective buyers who have somewhat forgotten the bailout will be instantly and solidly reminded of why they hate GM and why they vowed at one time to forever boycott them. This product is a very bad idea.

The only benefactor will be the folks working in The Glass House. Every prospective buyer angered by GM will march over to their Ford store.

#59 · (Edited)
Still not convinced this will be directly imported from China for sale in the US. It's true that Volvo has started importing some S60 models from China, so maybe Buick will do the same. We'll see. That said, here's the dimensions of the China version from the GM press release (the US could differ of course):

Length = 4667mm = 183.7"
Wheelbase = 2750mm = 108.3"
Width = 1839mm = 72.4"
Height = 1696mm = 66.8"

I think I got the conversion right (thanks Google).

For comparison, the MKC has a length of 179.2, wheelbase of 105.9, width of 73.4, and height 65.2. So the Envision is a few inches longer on a 2.4" longer wheelbase, slightly taller, and 1" less in width.

http://media.gm.com/media/cn/en/gm/...ent/Pages/news/cn/en/2014/Aug/0828_buick.html
http://www.lincoln.com/crossovers/mkc/specifications/exterior/

Reactions: Ed753
#62 · (Edited)
Not building these vehicles in North America may just kill any hope of Buick selling a lot of these CUVs . China has effectively killed many our Country's manufacturing industries , I feel , due to their low wage cost and environmentally unsafe emissions(lack of which helped keep costs down) that not only create severely polluted living conditions there , but the winds carry this pollution around the world , adding to the green house effect in a big way . Not adhering to pollution standards of any kind , paying workers so poorly , throwing rural farmers off the land to expand industries wherever , is only one facet of a greedy world power.

They , in the USA , bought up treasury notes that the USA government was flogging to get cash to run it's operations in the midst of it's huge deficit . It now owns trillions of US dollars and part of China's strength became magnified , I feel , by the trade concessions it wrangled as a result of it's purchasing so much US debt . GM is making big bucks in China by selling so many vehicles , but there is a cost , believe me , and importing their vehicles here is ,no doubt , part of a GM trade agreement ?....coming home to roost . I feel the resentment is smoldering to this trade giant's practises in becoming so very strong in North America and the world, that North Americans will express their resentment here , NOW ! There's an old saying... in life and in business , GM , " be careful what you wish for , it may just come true " !

#63 ·
my question is...what is the real story as to why they would/could not build them here?? is it as has been said the U.A.W trying to use this as leverage or just cost cutting for GM?? if they expected to sell 10-20K units then importing them would make sense I guess. but, i really believe this vehicle if properly equipped, priced and marketed could push 60-70K a year. any thoughts??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.