GM Inside News Forum banner

Surprise! GM readying Aveo-based CUV for Buick

16K views 113 replies 61 participants last post by  SierraGS 
#1 ·
Another surprise!

Click HERE for the article - Leftlanenews

THIS is probably what we saw on CBS. This could work - it would give GM a legit Mini Crossman competitor. If GM can pull it off so that this CUV can run apples-to-apples with a Mini, it could do wonders for Buick's image.

#6 ·
i like where buick is going, theyre not sticking to traditional markets. with this and the luxury compact anyway. lets see where it goes i say. in a field of 2 vehicles (the mini and this), you cant really do that bad, can you?

#8 ·
I dunno...we haven't determined how heavy the Viva/Agile's platform is yet, have we?

#10 ·
Well this is going to be interesting. GM better not screw this up!

#11 ·
seeing as how it will have aveo components I have my doubts on this cars success. Considering that the current Aveo is a horrible little econobox Buick will need to invest some serious time and effort into making this CUV a decent seller but I have a feeling that it could work if done correctly

#13 ·
No. Nooooooo. NO.

I agree, Buick needs a CUV that is smaller than the Enclave. Doing a nice upscale makeover of the beautiful Saturn Vue should be as small as you go with Buick. Period.

Does Mercedes have a "Mercedes" version of the Smart? Of course not. Does Toyota get a Yaris and "upscale" it for Lexus? NO. BMW? Acura? I mean, give me a break here people! BMW owns MINI, and they don't have a "upscale" version of the MINI they sell as a BMW.

This idea is SO CLEARLY bad, I can't believe it is being considered. An Aveo dressed up as a Buick? To sell along side the INCREDIBLE new 2010 LaCrosse? The Aveo is too small.

NO NO NO NO NO.

#67 · (Edited)
Somewhat sad to say - this is where its all heading.

Just imagine.......... everything from a S klasse with a 2.14 L I4 Turbo Diesel and the E and the 5 series being offered (in Europe ) with a gasser somewhere between 1.2 - 1.5 Litres....... also on the bottom end......

By 2015 -2016 the mainstream bigger parts of the conventional powertrain car and CUV market will be sporting engine sizes between 1.0 - 3.0 Liters - and that is not the whole story - not even close.

Good news is that fuel cell vehicles will be out as well although in small numbers and not by every one.

Lots of things are changing - fast.

Basically the only possibility for an affordable V8 of some sort for the US will be US Pick ups - at least a used one if nothing else.

2012 is when the mainstream product will start to shift big and by 2016 that will effectively be done.

Pretty much everything for 2010 and 2011 was started pre 2008.

Although new, they're really in a deadman walking situation.

That is regards to everyone.

#17 ·
Well, I'm shocked . . . . truly shocked.

I read a while back that GM was readying a Gamma based CUV, which I presumed was for Chevolet. Seems that Buick will be getting the CUV instead of - or in addition to - Chevrolet.

GM certainly appears determined to reinvent Buick, and to take it into completely new areas.

It might just work . . . we already know the small premium niche will soon expand - BMW will have the MINI Countryman, Audi the Q3 and Q1, for starters.

Buick is definitely the marque to watch right now. Who'd have thunk it?

#18 ·
I dig it. We need some more models in this place when Pontiac is gone so I say bring it on..

#32 ·
I agree. Buick needs to have a broad range of vehicles for the Buick/ GMC franchise to work.

#21 ·
this is what makes you sucessfull, you stick you neck out and do something that has a risk! and if it works you are a mastermind! but you cant make it to the top without putting yourself out there and take a chance!

#30 ·
When I first read this I was all set to say "way too close to the Buick-Vue, bad idea", but looking at the numbers:

Current Aveo sedan: 97.6 in wb, 170 in long, 59 in tall, 67 in wide
Mini Crossman: 102.6 in wb, 160 in long, 63 in tall, 72 in wide
VW Tiguan: 102.5 in wb, 174 in long, 66 in tall, 71 in wide
Saturn Vue: 106.6 in wb, 180 in long, 67 in tall, 73 in wide

I think this could work. Add about 4-6 inches in height, and use the sedan's length but as a 5-door hatch/wagon, and it should remain plenty smaller than the "RendezVue", and almost dead on to the Crossman/Tiguan's dimensions.

I'm still not sure it's a truly good idea, but without completely reshuffling the entire small CUV model range for all of GM I can't think of a better way to do this. I do think having the tiniest CUV as a "premium" model is a good idea in order to increase profits while also letting GM get in early on the "tiny luxury CUV" market that is still wide open but that almost everyone will be entering soon.

I bet we'll be seeing this as a $22-$28k model, then the "RendezVue" at $26-38k, and the Enclave at $35-50k... to match up with the $20-28k "Skylark", $24-33k Regal, and $30-45k Lacrosse cars.

#31 · (Edited)
The Aveo is Gamma based as is the Meriva, so GM seems to be planning a Buick version of the next generation Meriva.

Early spy shots of the Meriva were encouraging and the concept was very nice although I am still not sold on the rear "suicide" doors. it would get great MPG and the current one seems to get alot of interior space from a small package. The next generation should be a bit wider and longer than the current one, making it an acceptable size for the U.S. market.

#33 ·
The Aveo is Gamma based as is the Meriva, so GM seems to be planning a Buick version of the Meriva.

Early spy shots of the Meriva were encouraging and the concept was very nice although I am still not sold on the rear "suicide" doors. it would get great MPG and the current one seems to get alot of interior space from a small package. The next generation should be a bit wider and longer than the current one, making it an acceptable size for the U.S. market.
Good point. Looks like Buick and Opel are getting closer together every day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.