Spied! Euro-Market Opel Insignia Hints at Refreshed Buick Regal

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spied! Euro-Market Opel Insignia Hints at Refreshed Buick Regal

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

MotorTrend
    January 25, 2013
    by Alex Nishimoto

The Buick Enclave, the model that started the tri-shield brand’s renaissance, was recently updated for 2013. Next on the list may be the Regal, which will get a face-lift similar to the refreshed Euro-market Opel Insignia seen in these spy shots.

Based on the completeness of this test mule, development of the next-gen Opel Insignia is likely in its final stages. The headlights appear to be production-ready, with strips of chrome and LEDs lining the insides of the housings. In back, a camouflaged horizontal chrome strip bridges the gap between the taillights, and even appears to overlap them – similar to the Opel Cascada convertible released in Europe last year.

Other updates you can expect with the refreshed Buick Regal include an improved interior, a larger screen (with Buick’s Intellilink infotainment system), and new engine options for Europe. When the Opel Insignia is revealed this March at the Geneva Motor Show, we should get a better idea of the refreshed Buick Regal’s final design.

Full article and images available at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Spied! Euro-Market Opel Insignia Hints at Refreshed Buick Regal

Definitely more in line with Buick's evolving exterior design cues, specifically, the headlights and tail lights. The model shown appears to be a base model Insignia... with projector beam headlights! I hope this means that all 2014 Regals will come standard with this headlight design. It is more fitting of a car like the Regal. Not to mention, the standard halogens available on some trim levels of the Regal are not very bright.

I find it interesting that Opel and Vauxhall still appear to be using the black plastic antenna on the Insignia as opposed to the Regal's painted antenna. This has been a complaint by some on Insignia forums.
    Current Rides: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek, 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander GT S-AWC

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 chevydlrmn's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra All Terrain

The Regal needs more than different front and rear fascia and lights. A V6 would help a ton, as well as a the new 1.6T and 2.0T or larger. The centerstack needs less flat black plastic. Add a larger color DIC as well as some proper advertising and watch sales rise. E-Assist is already being phased out. Good move since they claim it to be the athlete of the Buick line up.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

I wonder if there is ANY weight loss in the MCE or a chance of TURBO ONLY engine line up?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

This car needs a new, distinct roofline that would also enlarge the rear seat room. It's pleasant looking now, but it just looks too anonymous. Too bad that's expensive to change.

Alex Villani: Staff Writer Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Regal will change the next time around to be something very different.
    Headlights look good, but I hope they do something with the grill. They need to take on the Mondeo head on with some major style revisions.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: BigAl@GMInsidenews.com
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
    Headlights look good, but I hope they do something with the grill. They need to take on the Mondeo head on with some major style revisions.
    Amen, brother.

I would take a more sedate Malibu for a totally balls-out gorgeous Regal, if that's what you're saying.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Why don't I see the "hockey stick" in the profile? Is it just the white not making it pop?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 StormHunter77's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks a little Acura-ish up front (without the hideous Acura grill of course).

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Needs a total re-do. Too doughy looking.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
    Very different in a good, sporty, Audi-esque way? Or very different in a bad, boaty, Lacrosse/Verano way?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

What the Regal would look like after a refresh is meaningless. The Regal is not a commerical success, if you look at the sales numbers for the car it has not hit 2K units in any of the last four months and in two of those months it was marginally above 1K. Sadly the market has spoken and an MCE is not going to change the sales outlook. When a preimum 4 door sedan with a 32K ATP has sales numbers that are 3K units less than a two door sports coupe, the Camaro, it is a marketplace failure no matter how "good" the car is. Buick would be far better served by canceling the Regal and competing for midsize car buyers with a stretched version of the Verano. A 4 or 5 inch stretch aft of the B pillar would provide a spacious rear seat and still be shorter that the competition. Given that "L" versions are considered preimum for European cars it build on the Verano's "Preimum small car" marketing. Buick could treat the Verano as 3 model line, the Base model, the "L" model, and the Super (2.0 turbo) model. Dump the 2.4 engine for the 2.5 and add a turbo @215/220 hp as an option and the Verano does everything the Regal provides for them now. The advantages for Buick is both in sales numbers and reduced cost. Buick has to little product on the automotive side and spending money on a product that does not sell just makes it harder for Buick compete

Thanks

Meh.......The only Regal "refresh" I'm interested in is a move to the Alpha platform.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy Malibu 2011 silver 2.4L

The hockey stick accent line on the front door is still there,it's just real faint because of the color. It is the one feature I wish they would do away with.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 Tony's BlkGTP's Avatar
    Thanks

I also find it hard for the sales numbers to be any higher when GM and Buick don't spend some money advertising the vehicle to the public. One of the Buick forums I read speaks of Regal owners getting asked all the time about the car, but the public in general doesn't know it exists because of lack of advertising!

Regardless, I still want the Regal over the Verano though. As for my wish list for improvements to the Regal, I still would like to see AWD become available and more of the features offered from the Insignia.
    Last edited by Tony's BlkGTP; 01-26-2013 at 09:46 AM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information