GM Inside News Forum banner

NO EXCUSE: 2017 Buick LaCrosse Headlights Rated "Poor" By IIHS

14K views 43 replies 30 participants last post by  NoStopN 
#1 ·
IIHS
February 17, 2017

The redesigned Buick LaCrosse earns a good rating in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's challenging small overlap front crash test and qualifies for a Top Safety Pick award.

The large car held up well in the test, which replicates what happens when the front driver-side corner of a vehicle strikes another vehicle or an object such as a tree or utility pole.

The car earns a superior rating for front crash prevention when equipped with optional automatic braking. In the 12 mph IIHS track test, the car avoided a collision. In the 25 mph test, the impact speed was reduced by an average of 24 mph. The system also has a forward collision warning component that meets National Highway Traffic Safety Administration criteria.

When equipped with an optional warning system only, the LaCrosse earns a basic rating for front crash prevention.

The Top Safety Pick award is given to vehicles that earn good ratings in the Institute's five crashworthiness tests and have an available front crash prevention system that earns an advanced or superior rating.

Vehicles that also come with good or acceptable headlights can earn Top Safety Pick+. The LaCrosse's only available headlights earn a poor rating. The low beams provide inadequate visibility on the straightaway and the left curves.

See less See more
#2 ·
The LaCrosse's only available headlights earn a poor rating. The low beams provide inadequate visibility on the straightaway and the left curves.
You know what, it's 2017 and even the GD Toyota Corolla comes with LED headlamps.

How can GM sell this all-new $40,000+ vehicle with 2003 headlamp technology (HID's are standard). Really, how much could large scale production of LED headlamp assemblies cost in comparison to the "poor" units currently fitted - which I am sure are not cheap.

Considering how well the car did on the crash testing, this is awful.

-------------------------------------------------

QUESTION: How are the headlamps on your current GM car? The units fitted to my 2014 Volt are slightly more powerful than two dining room candles.

#3 ·

QUESTION: How are the headlamps on your current GM car? The units fitted to my 2014 Volt are slightly more powerful than two dining room candles.

I drive 2 different 1999 vehicles. My Tahoe's headlights are terrible. I recently ordered new housings and some Sylvania ultra-brights to hopefully remedy the issue. I probably should have just opted for an LED kit, but I like retaining the factory look. On my Z28, I'd say the lights are pretty good, actually. Maybe the lower driving position helps...? I do have some aftermarket housings on and Sylvania ultra-bright bulbs as well as ultra-brights in the fog lamp housings, so maybe that's the difference. Stock, they sucked, if I remember correctly.

In the more modern realm, my wife's '15 Equinox has okay headlights. On rainy nights they are definitely not good enough, but turning on the fogs helps tremendously (night and day better, but have to be manually turned on each time).

Reactions: SierraGS
#5 ·
This appears to be a "thing" with Buick's, not the first.

The up-side to poor headlights being on the LaCrosse, is that most old people don't drive after dark anyway...............

Looks like it took the crash pretty good and the passenger side headlight didn't even fall out!

#39 · (Edited)
With the exception of my 2007 KIA Spectra, as a matter of course I've replaced the stock headlight bubbs with Silverstars on every car as far back as I can remember, because most headlights suck, have sucked, and continue to suck.

That 12 grand car (sticker 16+) had incredible headlights. It's the only car in the last 20 years I didn't install Silverstars or similar in. But they were big eyes, and they lit up the night. The trend to slits, started in the 80s IIRC, is NOT conducive to good night sights.

So they can still drive it home after the wreck. As long as it's daytime.

Old people don't drive at night?
Wjat in heck do dadblamed young smarty-pants whippersnappers know about colsarned crotchety old codgers?

Now get off my lawn!

IMO, LED headlamps are not better than HIDs at this point in their development. Sure, they are cool, but HIDs are better and provide more even illumination (and I say that as someone who drives a car with LED headlamps). The only real benefit of LEDs is if you want to do selective dimming and brightening of some elements but you aren't going to get that on a $40K car and even then doesn't offset the drawbacks for the common usage.

The IIHS also rates a lot of cars as lacking in headlight performance, including the Mercedes C class, Cadillac ATS and VW Passat rated "poor" and the BMW 3 series and Lincoln MKZ rated "marginal" (one step above poor). I don't see a lot of real-world complaints about the headlamps of any of these cars. So I don't really know how significant this rating is.
You're right. "Different" does not equal "better." The pest Acura sales guy ranted about LED headlights on the ILX. And while they're certainly bright while shining directly into my eyes, I don't drive at night that way. I'm usually INSIDE the car.

This makes no sense that the new LaCrosse can't have decent HID's (or LED's for that matter). The HID's on my Regal GS are VERY good.
Each make and model is different. You would think that by now SOMEONE at Federal Government, Inc. would have noticed this and done what they do best: Tell people what to do. Nope.

Shovel ready jobs. Yes we can.

2017 Toyota Corolla has two Lighting scores listed.

Both are rated Acceptable, neither are Good.

Both Use LED Projector Hi and Low Beam.

--

2017 Hyundai Elantra has two Lighting scores listed.

The far more common one is rated Poor.

It uses a basic or plain System comprised of Halogen Projector for Low Beam, and Halogen Reflectors for Hi Beam.

Available on the Limited trim equipped with Ultimate package is the other System.

It uses a Low-beam HID Projector, with a High-beam Halogen Reflector.

It also includes a some important Head Light Management Features such as Curve-adaptive, and a type of 'Automatic switching' in the form of Hi Beam Assist.

This one is rated Good.

--

2017 Chevrolet VOLT also has two Lighting scores listed.

Both use LED Projector - Low Beam and Halogen Reflector - Hi Beam .

One is rated Good, and one is rated Acceptable.

The key difference being the Hi Beam / Low Beam Auto Switching that the one has, and the other does not.

As a result, as per IIHS, the Halogen Reflector - Hi Beams ( with this feature ) compensate for the LED Projector - Low Beam Performance.

--

In a clear majority sense, it ain't ever just about the Bulbs and they are not the most important / design component in all this once past a certain rather ordinary Level.
And if you want a 27-28 grand Elantra, you can get those lights. Along with nanny pests that will jerk your steering wheel for you and may occasionally lay on the brakes whether you know it or not. Yes we can.

I thought it would be a good idea to install Silver Star bulbs in my 2009 Malibu when an original lamp burned out. Imagine my surprise when I found out that THE DAMN BUMPER HAD TO BE REMOVED TO CHANGE BULBS!!! Who the hell thought that would be a good idea?
Some engineer? Or stylist? Our last real estate agent was a hoot regarding engineers. She's been in the bidness 30+ years so she's seen a few of everything. She doesn't enjoy working with engineers. OCD she says, and often about the wrong stuff.

We bought a master plumber's house a couple of years ago. Only owner, built in 1965.
You should see the basement, looks like a ship's pipefitter did it down there. His son was an engineer, his daughter I forget but she had feet on the ground. Son was such a nit-picker we wanted to stick a potato in his mouth to shut him up.

I'm sure all engineers are not like that. But some are not as smart as they think. Like your example. Someone should be fired for that headlamp bulb access issue.

#6 ·
I installed (A Hole HID) lights in my wife's 13 F150. Direct fit, under $300 Lifetime Ballast Warranty. My 08 has Factory, Night verses Day difference, then I install my Plow on my 08 and basically see Nothing but the Center Line.

LED here in the North, have a Freeze Up problem, but the HID's don't. Boss Plows have made a set of LED's for my 08, with heating elements on the lens but I don't do enough Night Driving (without street lights) to warrant the $900 up fit costs.

I know Age has some to do with it, but LED bulbs verses Incandescent, the cost is trivial. I will install LED Bulbs in my Plow, and worry about the freezing if it happens.

#9 ·
Another benefit of LED is lower power consumption. That's actually probably the main reason they are used. HID is better for light output. Poor performing HIDs are probably like that because they wanted to minimize power consumption and provide just enough light to get by. The less power used, the better the fuel efficiency.

#10 ·
If there was a rating below poor for the headlights on my Wrangler I would say they were were destitute. I upgraded to JW Speaker headlights, and tail lights, and can actually see the road again.

Even with the fancy shmancy LED's, I agree with what smh said in that the light isn't as even and there are some weird cutoff patterns. I have attributed this in part to bad design and the housing that they have to work within (7" round space).

#11 ·
The automakers continue to make head lights smaller and smaller, look at the current Cruze, Malibu and Camaro.
There have to be trade offs when shrinking things like that.
I may have to drive a new Malibu at night.
I'm betting the larger headlights on our 2009 Malibu do a better job.
They are still the best I have driven.

#12 · (Edited)
One thing about this testing that could make it a whole lot more useful.

Do exactly what they do ..... and add in a similar test after an OEM prescribed Aiming procedure is correctly done.

( IIHS has already played with this and has a note or two about it somewhere.)

From the looks of it, it is possible the LaCrosse might have done a whole lot better with even just a 'Basic' Aim provided; because obviously or so it would seem.... a kind of Industry wide SOP Aim of Low and to the Right is provided.

--

As far as the 2017 Class ratings for the Large Car Class they put LaCrosse into, most do not have either a complete set of Ratings nor the Headlight Evaluation. Many have low enough scores somewhere in these partial sets in such a way as to preclude them from a Top Safety Pick / Top Safety Pick +.

( Have not looked at the 2016s which may be 'helpful' 'somehow' for some 2017 indication. )

So 2017 Avalon is the other one, and it also receives the same; Top Safety Pick...... with no Plus.

( Remember..... 2017 LaCrosse tests at considerably higher weights while clobbering Avalon in NHTSA Frontal Impact Testing. )

Three Headlight ratings are provided; going up in cost and down in availability they are a Poor, Poor, and a Marginal.

( Believe it or not.... seems possible that at least some of this endemic Head Light fail is also a factor in the Car's demise..... via the 'non Car'. Bad lighting at least feels better if you are sitting higher up - )

--

LEDs are arguably ..... 'most' desirable from a MPG point of view; but so far, as OEM installed and as tested @ IIHS.... they are not showing much, if any of a superiority over HID and actually even with regard to some lesser others.

Don't know where the big Tally stands as of this post, but I do recall some Group Testing or consolidated Reporting where they actually in net, did worse.

--

This testing is desirable to have although it could be augmented for good effect in more than one way.

Shame we haven't had something like or better from say 193x onward. But especially so since when the Lighting Regs were 'relaxed'.

As usual, the Corporatists ( aka the young budding Fascista in progress regardless of their self chosen labels ) went on and on as to how all the Old Regs were holding back progress. And all that stood in the way of a bright and shining future was the Federal Regs standing in the Middle of the Road.

To be sure, they did need to be revised, updated, and loosened up. And that, if done properly, could have been for tremendous positive effect.

But of course, that is not what we got.

In yet another version of the Ole' False Choice you always get when the GD Industry Lobbyists are foolishly allowed to literally write all the Law and Code Revisions etc etc.

And sure enough, the Industry frittered away most of the possible Safety benefits while also over all providing a lesser performance with the Basics. And also introducing new and Serious Safety Fail.

Especially in a vehicle lifetime sense.

Foggy Lenses any one ?

On a completely piss poor Lighting assembly to begin with ?

Aimed improperly from Day One ?????

So we have needed this kinda' of testing or even better with a little more....... even more so since eh... at least back to somewhere in the late '80s - early mid '90s.

--

Very much related in so many ways..... we can now see what a disaster it is when the fully corrupt NHTSA steps away from the common sense applications of some pretty simple rules concerning AT Shifters that worked 'perfectly' - and Companies like GM, throw out their Own Rule Books. That many on this Forum liked to make fun of.

( The very Real Phenomena of UA / SUA - and not just with regard to Toyota, as always, multiplies any and all things like this. )

So..... then we need consider Stack, and Stack 'Effect'.

Well, you go add up all the new fail and take a look at the Safety Data and the amazing thing is that the what ? death rate or serious reported incident rate ( can't remember the correct description so one of the major indices is actually best ) has now with over rounding, 'ONLY' produced a 110% increase times a 110 % increase in the wrong direction.

Which is a first the USA can be so very proud of because, since Auto Safety became a real thing..... that has never happened before. ( And by Golly, they are all so very desperate to explain it away and also avoid certain comparisons to much further back. ) That works out to about a 31% rate increase in just Two Years time.

And they want to go Autonomous......

Sure enough, the Lies that this will solve all of these Problems and much much more while not creating new and even sometimes unforeseen - massively negative consequences have already been circulating for a while now.

They now even talk of fully eliminating all, or almost all Fatalities.

Meanwhile... all, literally damn near all the Basics continue to..... 'go to Hell...in a Handbasket'.

We really really...... really need...... shall we say a Serious.... 'Purge' of the just the right kind......

Feel free to take that last .......... anywhere you want.

#14 ·
Just because you think your Regal's HID's are very good doesn't mean they would rate well on IIHS's tests.

The issues is IIHS is driving to a standard they invented. They should be petitioning the government to make this a requirement if it were truly a issue. Maybe they are, I don't know. However, we do know they are shaming automakers with their tests since the federal government is slow to respond. I'm OK with that, but just understand IIHS is the insurance industry's pet project and not a government requirement and once automakers get the headlamps dialed in to pass the IIHS test, IIHS will come up with another test on some other issues to keep pushing the industry forward. IIHS can better communicate their new tests to automakers have years to prep for them.

Regardless of all this, Buick should have know about this headlight test and designed a lamp that passes the tests. Now they have to live with this design for years until the next refresh.

#15 ·
You can use led, Hid or standard halogen and if they are projectors you don't get the good coverage you get traditional reflective headlights. Swivel headlights with projectors help on corners but straight a head your only going to get so much of light spread. Now part of that is also how far the headlights are in the design of the car look also. I also don't believe a lot of these test. I have 2016 2nd Gen Cruze and the projectors do fine straight ahead but to the sides they are not that well. I'm glad I got the RS package so I have the fog lights and they really light up the road in front of the car when you need them, especially in the rain.

#17 ·
There ARE headlight regulations in the USA. The problem is they are antiquated. DOT needs to revise them, but haven't for years. Just one reason European headlight designs overall are superior and advancing forward.

With that said, I doubt the Lacrosse's design is truly "poor" since they have HIDs in them. My GTO's were poor, my Volt is fair, and my Equinox is pretty good. I think if it had HIDs I would give it an "A" - it just needs more lumens.

#21 · (Edited)
There ARE headlight regulations in the USA. The problem is they are antiquated. DOT needs to revise them, but haven't for years. Just one reason European headlight designs overall are superior and advancing forward.
Um... as I pointed out above, there are European vehicles on IIHS's poor (e.g., MB C-class) and marginal (e.g., BMW 3-series, Audi A4) lists for headlamps. I don't know how the E-class, 5-series etc. would have done as I can't find data on them (perhaps not tested). I'm pretty sure those brands use the same headlamps in the US as they do in Europe (e.g., my wife's BMW has auto-leveling HIDs although auto-leveling is not required here). So this isn't a US vs. European regulations thing. It's the IIHS test expecting something that apparently not many automakers thought there was a demand/need for.

Ironically, the Prius V is rated "good" while all the Lexuses I can find data for are in the "acceptable" category. So this test seems hit and miss at best at the moment.

#20 ·
I certainly mean no harm to Buick, but you are missing the point here: They have a great design, that gets a great rating on the test, but it's useless as they can not advertise the "Top Safety Pick Plus" rating.

I have been informed that the government will start putting ratings for headlights ON THE WINDOW STICKERS OF NEW VEHICLES starting in model year 2019. GM had really better get its act together on headlights...and quick.

I am doing research on this.

#26 ·
I thought it would be a good idea to install Silver Star bulbs in my 2009 Malibu when an original lamp burned out. Imagine my surprise when I found out that THE DAMN BUMPER HAD TO BE REMOVED TO CHANGE BULBS!!! Who the hell thought that would be a good idea?

#43 · (Edited)
First, you sometimes gotta' smartly out think the factory - just like a good tech will often do.

There are practical and useful work arounds for this.

More on that later.... if needed.

--

Second, sometimes it's all in the attitude. I mean there you are .....

So..... let's get some motivation for the 'impossible'.

And then this will help if a sensible work around is not used.

#28 ·
Headlights are surprisingly bright in my 6-volt Ford truck- I have no complaints. Must be the generator spinning madly at those 400 rpms at idle.

Seriously, a major component of this singular 'movement' is the IIHS's attempt at self-perpetuation. "poor"?? …when even those so dubbed are better than the best of 15 years ago? That locks us all into this ever sliding window where no matter what, as soon as someone has fusion headlights, a wide swath of completely good headlights are, once again, "poor".
If there is never any absolute scale of headlight performance, how can singular performance ever be measured? What is the end goal of an undefined, ever-sliding window; 5,000,000 candle power out the front of a 'top pick' vehicle? Really?

#32 ·
I guess having good headlights is not a priority for Chinese buyers.

#34 ·
The Impala has also had over-focused narrow beam and poorly adjusted (too low) headlight complaints too.

What's ironic is the LaCrosse has been using the nearly 1" larger (12.7") police brakes as standard equipment, instead of the smaller standard size that the Impala uses.

The Buick should have phenomenal headlights, standard.

#35 ·
Best headlights I ever experienced were on my wife's Escalade. Unbelievable how good they were. Like the night sun.

Currently we have a 2013 Sierra in the stable. The headlights seem pretty decent. Not terrible.

The 2014 Ram 2500 in the stable has the projector headlights. Again, they are pretty decent. We live in a rural area and our road is pitch black at night (also many curves and hills). I find with putting on the fogs , it is good.

#37 ·
Most buyers don't even discover what headlight quality their new car has until well after the sale.

I wonder how many buyers do more than a fleeting search of specifications or vehicle reviews
before droping the hammer on their chosen vehicle. Most times, the first dealer gets the gig
because most people don't shop around, don't research, just buy what they like or what friends
tell them is a good vehicle.

#41 · (Edited)
I must say I am impressed with HID headlights in my 2017 Lacrosse. There is a option on the car for better headlights at least there is hear in Canada.They are extremely bright so bright it lights up alleys when going between buildings in downtown at night going home. I have replaced the fog lights with the Philips LED kit and loving it. I just picked it up the lacrosse, my old car was a 2014 Verano turbo and its lighting was very poor and I changed the low beams to a H11 Philips bright light 4000K and it improved somewhat but the lacrosse lighting is simply amazing at night even when you turn left or right the side LED light comes on.

#42 · (Edited)
I'm not real happy with mine. Is it the same light as mine? Do you have more detail on what you used to replace the worthless fog lamp?

Part number is on the lower part of the lamp on the inner side. I could get that if it would help. I know Canada is similar to the Euro E-code specs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.