Magic Magnets Give Buick Crossovers AWD Refinement

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic Magnets Give Buick Crossovers AWD Refinement

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

GM
    November 20, 2012

When snow inevitably starts falling over the General Motors Proving Ground in Michigan this winter, Buick engineers will use the conditions to put the finishing touches on the Encore luxury small crossover. It arrives early next year as the brand’s first entry into the burgeoning small crossover segment.

Encore’s “Active On-Demand” all-wheel drive is designed to give the vehicle the fluid drive characteristics and sure-footed traction Buick drivers expect but in a smaller, lighter package. Unlike traditional systems that engage all four drive wheels after slip is detected, Encore uses a magnetic charge to engage a clutch at the rear axle preemptively when the vehicle is at rest because slippage is most likely to occur just as the vehicle begins to move. If no slip is detected, a computer control automatically disengages the preemptive torque to the clutch once the Encore is underway, returning the system to a primarily front-drive operation.

“A Buick all-wheel drive system has to deliver the best traction possible, and it has to do it in a way that’s totally imperceptible to the driver,” said Encore Chief Engineer Jim Danahy. “We engineered Encore’s lightweight, responsive and refined system to deliver on the expectations of demanding luxury buyers.”

Buick engineers used their experience developing an all-wheel drive system for the Enclave luxury crossover SUV and applied it to Encore’s smaller packaging. The Enclave uses similar technology. To fit Encore’s weight and space needs, engineers worked with BorgWarner to develop a new, more compact coupling for the rear axle.

Reduced weight benefits Encore’s handling, as well as fuel economy. With all-wheel drive, Encore’s EPA-estimated fuel economy is 23 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway.

Beyond weight savings, the advantages of Active On-Demand all-wheel drive for the driver include rapid activation and deactivation, more control over the transfer of torque, more refined performance in tight turns and parking situations and better integration with safety systems like ABS and stability control.

“Technology is allowing us to translate Buick’s quiet, comfortable ride to smaller vehicles than we could before,” said Danahy. “This all-wheel drive system, like turbocharged engines and Buick QuietTuning technologies, allows drivers to experience that Buick DNA with unprecedented efficiency and maneuverability.”

According to the 2012 Harris Poll AutoTECHCASTSM Study, “familiarity with all-wheel drive continues to climb” and one third of all new car buyers would consider purchasing the technology on their next new vehicle. Consideration of all-wheel drive is greatest among luxury crossover/SUV owners, along with owners between 35-54 years of age. Among current all-wheel drive vehicle owners, 83 percent consider it an important feature for their vehicle.

In addition to the upcoming Encore and the redesigned 2013 Enclave, Buick offers all-wheel drive for the 2013 LaCrosse V-6 luxury sedan.
    Last edited by ne_one; 11-21-2012 at 04:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Cruze LTZ, 2012 S60 T6

Re: Magic Magnets Give Buick Crossovers AWD Refinement

Is this an in house clutch pack, or a BW/Haldex unit?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Mazda Tribute 4WD 5speed

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    Is this an in house clutch pack, or a BW/Haldex unit?
    From the posted summary:

To fit Encore’s weight and space needs, engineers worked with BorgWarner to develop a new, more compact coupling for the rear axle.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

Launch control? This POS can have it, but the Regal can't?
    I didn't go to math school, so I'm not going to do the math.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar ral1960's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

What this car really needs is an adjustable suspension, so it can have a comfortable, Buick-like ride with just a driver and yet not be sloppy when carrying four occupants and luggage.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

My Volvo XC90 V8 had the Haldex Gen 3 system that was named under the " Instant Traction " moniker that utilized that applies torque to the rear clutch pack preemptively. While it worked well in my XC90 there was still a feeling of slight FWD torque under hard acceleration because it can not apply anywhere near 50% of the torque instantly. If I remember correctly it could only apply 80 lb ft preemptively to the rear clutch pack, and while the narrow angle Yamaha V8 easily exceeded that it will easily handle a significant portion of the 1.4 T engine available in the Buick Encore. I do have a strange feeling however that this vehicle will not exactly be traction limited even in FWD format.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Mazda Tribute 4WD 5speed

I have a similar setup in the Tribute and it works well in the snow and on rain-soaked slop around Vancouver.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Cruze LTZ, 2012 S60 T6

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    My Volvo XC90 V8 had the Haldex Gen 3 system that was named under the " Instant Traction " moniker that utilized that applies torque to the rear clutch pack preemptively. While it worked well in my XC90 there was still a feeling of slight FWD torque under hard acceleration because it can not apply anywhere near 50% of the torque instantly. If I remember correctly it could only apply 80 lb ft preemptively to the rear clutch pack, and while the narrow angle Yamaha V8 easily exceeded that it will easily handle a significant portion of the 1.4 T engine available in the Buick Encore. I do have a strange feeling however that this vehicle will not exactly be traction limited even in FWD format.
    Our Cruze is not traction limited, and it's probably going to be a few hundred pounds lighter than the Encore.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

And that's probably one of the reasons Ford built it's own system that went beyond what Haldex was offering
    in terms of instant torque split, I have a feeling that GM has developed a system similar to the Ford units that
    can vary torque to a higher degree (90/10) and provide that torque split almost instantly...

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    And that's probably one of the reasons Ford built it's own system that went beyond what Haldex was offering
    in terms of instant torque split, I have a feeling that GM has developed a system similar to the Ford units that
    can vary torque to a higher degree (90/10) and provide that torque split almost instantly...
    I am not following you on this one, and keep in mind that was a Gen 3 Haldex system which does not describe progress made since then.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    I am not following you on this one, and keep in mind that was a Gen 3 Haldex system which does not describe progress made since then.
    Ford did this back in like 06-07. The issue was one of price and supply at the time. At the time Haldex couldn't meet demand and Ford was able to produce a system domestically that met thier needs. I am pretty sure the new Taurus IS using the Haldex GenIV system without the Elsd. That gives it front to rear bias but not left to right.

Also it's important to note that Borg Warner purchased Haldex in 2010. There are now production facilities in NA (Mexico I think). Ford may still be using thier in house system on the smaller cars (Fusion etc) and I think though it's Frod's design it's actually made by ZF.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    Ford did this back in like 06-07. The issue was one of price and supply at the time. At the time Haldex couldn't meet demand and Ford was able to produce a system domestically that met thier needs. I am pretty sure the new Taurus IS using the Haldex GenIV system without the Elsd. That gives it front to rear bias but not left to right.

Also it's important to note that Borg Warner purchased Haldex in 2010. There are now production facilities in NA (Mexico I think). Ford may still be using thier in house system on the smaller cars (Fusion etc) and I think though it's Frod's design it's actually made by ZF.
    Ford's AWD supplier is JTEKT, AKA Toyota.

http://www.sae.org/mags/AEI/11120

Fun fact: Audi doesn't/isn't allowed to use the term Torsen in any of their marketing material, because Toyota (through their subsidiary JTEKT Torsen inc) owns the rights to it. They only use "quattro", a made up word that means nothing. It will only appear on material for Toyota products or Ford products that use them (e.g. Raptor, Boss 302).

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tentacles View Post

Fun fact: Audi doesn't/isn't allowed to use the term Torsen in any of their marketing material, because Toyota (through their subsidiary JTEKT Torsen inc) owns the rights to it. They only use "quattro", a made up word that means nothing. It will only appear on material for Toyota products or Ford products that use them (e.g. Raptor, Boss 302).
    Thats interesting but it's not in all of the cars yet. It's still Haldex in the SHO. I wonder if this will go to all the AWD applications or just some of them.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by tentacles View Post

Why did you have to share that dirty little secret? Between JTEKT and Aisin Toyota's umbrella encompasses a significant portion of the market.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Regal needs AWD and V6 power

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information