GM Inside News Forum banner

Looking Back: 1985 Buick Regal Somerset LaserDisc Promo

5K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  tbirderic 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Nitpick:

It's Somerset Regal. Two inches shorter than a skyhawk! The N cars were really low slung now that I think about it. Really were 7/8 size personal cars.

Another one where it's fascinating to imagine how this car, which was meant to replace the G body rwds and didn't, would have turned out had it been a 108" wb unit body rwd with the turbo V6.

I like the semi independent rear suspension and neat idea in being able to magnify the gas gauge on the 1/4 tank.

Also interesting to see her reference to a luxury or prestige car as a 'fine car.' Fine in the sense of closer tolerances and tighter fit.

This was pretty common and more widely understood than 'luxury car' up through the sixties but 1985 is about the latest I've ever seen it used.

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/buick/39buick/bilder/3.jpg "Fine Car performance" 1939

Seems to still have some sway across the pond. http://thefinecarstore.com/

#15 ·
Another one where it's fascinating to imagine how this car, which was meant to replace the G body rwds and didn't, would have turned out had it been a 108" wb unit body rwd with the turbo V6.
Is this true? Wasn't the W always meant to replace the G, as it later did? It would have been well into development by this time.

#7 ·
I actually DID put a head unit into one of these. A girl I dated back in 2001 had a 1988 Somerset. She had me put in a Pioneer CD head unit and new speakers all around.

It was the first time I'd ever worked on one of these and I remember thinking the only way the Pioneer would fit is if I cut part of the dashboard pod trim. I didn't want to be a "hack", so I called around to a few car-fi shops and they all said the same thing - get out your hack saw!

She was thrilled with it though.

#9 ·
I had one. Bought it in 88 and "sold" in 91. Loved the car, but had issues with the tranny, digital dash, emission, suspension and finally on Christmas eve 91, sheared half the teeth off the timing sprocket. Got $1,000 for a trade-in at the local Buick, GMC dealer. The mechanic that looked at it to determine over $2,000 to fix the engine(interference design) bought it immediately after I traded it in. He fixed the engine and other issues and drove it for a couple more years.

#10 ·
Dad bought a brand new 86 'Set Brown/beige 2-tone. The car rode really soft and very comfortable for such a smallish coupe. That dash is what stole the show. Driving at night, with the display on full brightness, people in other cars along side you looked at that digital display in awe! lol. Definitely an eye-catcher!

#16 ·
These N-body cars were initially meant to replace the G bodies for 1985 right along with the C-body Electra/98/Deville followed by the E-body Elso/Riv etc and B-body replacements the 88/LeSabre and after the Bonneville. But plans changed on the G-body cars as they were still selling so well and the N-body cars were sold as compacts and got sedan bodies shortly after there 1985 intro.

#17 ·
Such confusion in chassis assignment and development is yet another reason that contributed to GM's bankruptcy.

Well operated car companies have their chassis assignments straight, clear, and concise. They stick with them for years. To this day GM is floundering in chassis assignments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.