GM looks to Encore small crossover to expand Buick's reach

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM looks to Encore small crossover to expand Buick's reach

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Automotive News
    January 22, 2013

General Motors Co. is counting on the new Encore small crossover vehicle to bring more new customers to its premium Buick brand.

The Encore, which went on sale in U.S. show-rooms last week after launching last fall in China, is the fifth vehicle in the Buick brand, joining the larger Enclave crossover and the LaCrosse, Regal and Verano sedans.

Buick's U.S. sales rose 1.6 percent last year to 180,408 vehicles, a six-year high for the brand. But LMC Automotive senior analyst Joe Langley says it has a tough road ahead.

"Buick still remains a small player in the market and faces many challenges," he said. "While a good strategy to try and have Buick serve the entry luxury market, it will come under pressure as well-established brands with far greater prestige enter the space over the next several years, such as BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi.

"Buick is already having a difficult time carving out a place in the market and the down-market push by the German luxury brands will make that mission that much more difficult," Langley added.

LMC expects GM to add another small crossover and a compact hatchback within a few years, with the Encore's annual sales hitting about 30,000 vehicles. The brand's overall U.S. sales are expected to top 280,000 vehicles in 2017, according to LMC.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: GM looks to Encore small crossover to expand Buick's reach

LMC expects GM to add another small crossover and a compact hatchback within a few years
    The crossover isn't a surprise but the hatchback rumours seem to have lost momentum in recent months.

The Adam and Cascada seem like worthy candidates.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I drove by one of these on the road this morning...I thought they were just getting shipped to the dealerships but some of them must have arrived already. It may have been a test drive as I saw it less than a mile from a Buick Dealership. It looks good, just the back end doesn't look so much "Buick" as it does look "Korean made"...but I guess when you are dealing with a vehicle this small there is only so much you can do.

Banned
    Thanks

Not to rain on the Buick parade but I don't see any interest where I live outside of the LaCrosse when it launched. Nobody wants to own a Buick here. It should have just been the Chevrolet Malibu. I could buy whatever I wanted and I wouldn't drive one either. I'd rather drive a Chevrolet. It is the company who makes the world dominating Corvette afterall. Anything else and I'd just assume to be in a Cadillac or a Ford.

Thanks

My buddy's dealership just received their first Encore (Glacier Blue, Convenience Group) on Friday... It looks much better in person. I was not able to drive it, however, as it had not gone through a PDI yet. $25,760 was the price, which looks like a good deal for what you get.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

A shame the Encore is so anonymous looking.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Buick Rendezvous 2006

The sales figures for the Encore may surprise me, I did not think the Verano would sell very well and the Regal would sell much better than it has. Hopefully the Encore will sell as well as the Verano. Too bad the Encore is made in Korea.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar ral1960's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Nothing wrong with the car that 40-50 hp couldn't solve.

I saw a dark purple Nissan Cube on the road this morning. The funky colors offered on that funky car are brilliant. I think of the all-head aliens on the Simpsons whenever I see one. It looks like an aerodynamic brick, but who cares?

When GM took a risk like the Cube, the Element, or the original xB, we got the Aztek. Maybe next time.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    The crossover isn't a surprise but the hatchback rumours seem to have lost momentum in recent months.

The Adam and Cascada seem like worthy candidates.
    I agree! I like the Adam and think it would be a great car as a Cooper fighter (though it's really kind of between the Cooper and the Fiat). I think GM needs to push Buick into some more markets.

When GM took a risk like the Cube, the Element, or the original xB, we got the Aztek. Maybe next time.
    GM can build nitch vehicles they just can't pick the right ones to sell, or sell them properly. I think the Kappa cars were a great example. Sales were decent but GM didn't set the program up to be financially successful. We also got the Avalanche, which will be missed by quite a few people!
    Last edited by spd98; 01-22-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 521 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I think this will do well for Buick - nice styling, nice interior. Right package at the right time.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC longislander's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Solstice, 14 CTS, 15 Encore

I'm a Buick fan. My Dad drove Buicks, my first car was a '69 Special DeLuxe coupe, I bought a brand-new Riviera in '95, and I'm presently driving a '12 Regal GS and my wife is driving a '13 Verano.
    I hate that the Encore is built in Korea
    3 sedans and 2 crossovers leave room in the lineup for a mid-sized FWD coupe that looks and feels like a Buick should inside and out. The Verano is successful because it's a true Buick, only in a smaller size. An equally well-executed coupe would also succeed.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

I have never liked this big mistake of an abomination.
    I still hope it flops.
    I hope they don't sell any of them, but that is just wishful thinking.
    So w/that being said, Hopefully no more than 10K-12K or less.

Buick needs a 2nd gen Rendezvous, not this POS w/a stupid name!!!!!

!!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I really like the potential of the Encore and if I would opt for small CUV over a small car for MPG consideration I would pick the Encore over the Chevy Trax if both were offered in the US because of my demographics-age and income level.

That being said I think GM is casting too wide of a net for the Encore wanting to take on the Juke with a starting MSRP of $20,280 with $750 cash back, $500 NMAC financing cash back and $500 "midnight edition" savings on the low end and BMW X1 with starting MSRP over $30,000.

The Encore starting MSRP is dead in the middle meaning you can get a loaded Juke for the price of a base Encore or a base X1 for a less than loaded Encore.

As for the Tiquan it matches up well and prices well against the Tiquan but I would have to see the Encore in person as it seems much smaller than traditional small CUVs compared to the Tiquan which is more in like the Nissan Rogue than the Nissan Juke.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1996 Buick Riviera

After crawling around an Encore at NAIAS, I have a greater appreciation for this car than I did before. It had plenty of storage in back, and great leg room in the second row when the seat is moved to my driving position. The driving position is very nice, and the interior was nicely finished, and my only complaint was the center armrest for front row passengers.
    It was garnering a lot of attention, and many people were asking questions and coming away impressed from the car, so I imagine it selling well for Buick, along with the Verano.

Present Rides: 1996 Buick Riviera, 177,200 Miles
    Past Rides: 1995 Pontiac Trans Sport 210,000 Miles

Buick, The American Riviera.
    Updated: 11-19-2014

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Car253 View Post
    The sales figures for the Encore may surprise me, I did not think the Verano would sell very well and the Regal would sell much better than it has. Hopefully the Encore will sell as well as the Verano. Too bad the Encore is made in Korea.
    I would not be suprised to see it built at Orion real soon. From what I read, there has been exponentially more demand from dealers for the Encore than first thought.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information