GM Inside News Forum banner

Buick Regal Tops Cadillac ATS & CTS & Almost A BMW In Latest CR Testing

10K views 71 replies 50 participants last post by  SierraGS 
#1 ·
automotive news

July 22, 2014

Image Credits: General Motors Corporation

Article Quotes:

The Buick Regal, refreshed with a revamped powertrain for 2014, now ranks among the top upscale sports sedans tested by Consumer Reports, just behind the BMW 328i but high enough to easily top the magazine’s road test scores for the Cadillac ATS and CTS sedans.

The magazine, in its September issue, also says the improved Volvo S60 is sportier enough to give “more prestigious competitors from BMW and Mercedes-Benz serious competition.”

The magazine’s engineers found the Regal’s performance, handling and easy-to-use infotainment system especially appealing, helping it beat the Volvo S60 in a head-to-head road test.

The Regal finished just 1 point shy of the class-leading BMW 328i, with 84 points, and tied the Mercedes-Benz C250 for second place with 83 points, in the magazine’s overall ratings of upscale sport sedans. The Volvo S60 received a road score of 80, ahead of the Volkwagen CC, Infiniti Q50, Audi A4 and Lexus IS.

Consumer Reports gave the latest Cadillac CTS, a mid-sized luxury sport sedan, and the ATS sedan, which competes more directly with the Regal in size and price, each a score of 76.

Of all the top upscale, sporty sedans the magazine has evaluated in recent tests, only the 328i, Regal and C250 are recommended.

See less See more
#2 ·
Of all the top upscale, sporty sedans the magazine has evaluated in recent tests, only the 328i, Regal and C250 are recommended.
It seems that Buick has a gem in it's line-up, but really doesn't know what to do with it.

Hopefully, that situation will be fixed as more and more people learn about the vehicle and its high valuation from Consumer Reports.

#4 ·
The car is a bit physically smaller than most sedans in the class, however if only it were recognized as a choice, it would be so much more received. It's in an odd spot, but out drives nearly any sedan out there. The GS I had was nothing but incredible, and I would take another in a second.

If you appreciate drive quality, it's one of the best. Problem is, in this class, if you are cheaper and/or bigger, or "I bet a bigger car with more stuff for less" no matter how it drives, that does more.

Plus, at $30k plus it is a notch higher than the Accords, Camry's etc. of the world.

#8 ·
Exactly. The cars were not ever directly compared, and there is no break down in the score, just a number with no context. Edmunds did a real comparison between this same list of cars (minus ATS I think) the other year, and the Regal, while a great car, did not do so well.

#7 ·
Is the Regal good? Absolutely. But to compare it against RWD performance sedans is flawed from the outset. I could see setting up a comparison test against the Volvo, an Acura and maybe Lincoln...but BMW, Cadillac and MB RWD sedans? Stupid.

Reactions: samesun
#28 ·
Regal only falls short when comparing FWD vs RWD driving dynamics. Something only serious drivers would recognize.....Outside of that, Regal is actually "that" good. :)

So there's no inherent advantage to RWD based on a year old CnD review of two Chryslers on the same bloated platform? (without Hemi btw):confused:
Those platforms are hardly bloated.

Do a search for similar sized, rear drive, roomy 5 passenger sedans with independent rear suspension and V8 power, then compare the weights against the LX....... I'll wait. :)

+1 to your daily driving comment but in the real world how many people actually use the back seat of their "sedan"? These are personal luxury/near luxury vehicles and like pickups their actual abilities are never tested in the real world. This could be an argument FOR Consumer Reports' findings. But FWD sucks no matter how you spin it.
Actually many people use it. Whether it to transport a passenger child's seat (easy access) to carrying around friends, clients, or kids. If you're young and single, then sure, you may rarely use it. But being that the large majority of new car buyers are now 40 years old plus, roomy rear seats or at the very least, usable rear seats play a vital role in car sales......it was vital enough to force GM to redo Malibu's rear seat after only 2 years on the market.

As for FWD, no, FWD does NOT "suck" as you put it.

FWD serves a specific purpose. It actually does have better traction in rain and "light" snow as the driving wheels have the weight of the engine over them. Also, for those people who have driven nothing but FWD cars, it will be difficult for them to learn RWD control in emergency situations.

Yes, RWD is superior in every driving emergency as far as balance, and in situations where you loose steering control (you can throttle steer with RWD) as well as acceleration (weight transfers to the rear which benefits RWD while it unloads the drive wheels in FWD). Plus modern traction control (or even a average set of snow tires) negates the FWD advantage/RWD disadvantage. But for the average, normal driver/commuter, FWD is just fine.....and doesn't suck.

That being said, I've never owned one nor do I plan too.......save perhaps the Mini......driving those things seriously rock!

#9 · (Edited)
@EJD1984...

It has been widely reported (rumored) that the next Regal will be built using the RWD Alpha platform along with Grand National and GNX variants. Along with the ATS, CTS, and Camaro, the Buicks as well as the next Chevrolet SS are supposed to all be Alpha-platform RWD/AWD vehicles! I guess this means the Opel Insignia as well! Engines reported to be 2.0T, 3.6 V-6, and 3.6TT for the Buick.

At first I doubted, too! But frankly, I am not seeing much in the way of information stating that it will stay on EpII! We're so used to Regal sharing it platform with the Malibu, but maybe there is a plan afoot within GM to differentiate Buick from Chevy by taking the former upmarket.

As a Buick lessee, I can attest to just how good the Regal is as I drive a 2013 GS! Best car I have EVER had!

#10 ·
CR stands for Comedy Reports, right?

Reactions: guionM
#14 ·
But........but..........it's.... a ..........FWD platform.....

How is this................possible ?

#17 ·
Here we go again, FWD suxxz RWD roolz.

For the shorter-memoried, in the June 2013 CD six large sedans test:
Avalon, Impala, Charger, 300, Cadenza, Azera finished in that order.

For starters, as with the 300S, there’s not much payoff for the rear-drive. The Charger has numb steering, and you need the Hemi if you want to roast the inherent understeer into a tasty drift. We expect rear-drivers to be automatically and radically better, but the superior-steering Avalon proves that there’s no immutable rule.

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...adenza-2013-toyota-avalon-xle-comparison-test

Because it's CR Megeebee

Reactions: Smee and guionM
#18 ·
As much as I find CR's results to be questionable, they are highly impactful as many average Joe consumers do respect their opinion. So this is a good thing. However, a few people who believe that the Germans can do no wrong my blow a gasket that a lowly Buick is up there with them.

#22 ·
CR is impactful for those that have little or no knowledge about cars and don't trust their own judgement. they need somebody to make their decisions for them. What is important to CR testers and the things that impact their decision frequently has nothing to do with the true ability and qualities of the cars tested.

#24 ·
For the umteenth time...I wish GM made a coupe version of this car!

#25 ·
I own a GS, really enjoy it.

But it's not an ATS.

#30 ·
I would like to know how they tested them IE city commute? + how much does price play in

I do believe the premium car segment has gotten to caught up in "ring times" and are sacrificing comfort/usability ETC

I would believe $ for $ the Buick is better then a CADDY and BMW has solid residuals boosting leasing rates

#34 ·
It all comes down to the press telling us what is better. Until the 1980's we preferred softer cars for luxury. Then along came the Germans and the car magazines told everyone that handling and 0-60 was more important and bam, Cadillac's and Lincoln's were terrible and the rest is history.

In the end everyone has to make their own decision - I don't need CR to tell me the ATS is bad because the back seat is too small, I don't care about the back seat.....

#35 ·
Wait...I thought RWD was better than FWD?

Reactions: Neanderthal
#36 · (Edited)
I owned a Contour SVT and drove it back to back vs. a 335i.
The SVT handled better, rode better and had better brakes.
The BMW was faster in a straight line (not in corners) and didn't torque steer.

IMO, the SVT was hands down the better performer.
I know it wasn't an ordinary FWD car and it had something of a cult following. I'm just sayin'...

Reactions: briandors
#38 · (Edited)
I had one too. The early E0 model with the bigger brakes and Cosworth wheels. That car rocked. It drove, handled and sounded awesome. The only FWD car I can remember which was tuned for oversteer.

One of the best handling cars I've ever owned. Period. Regardless of which wheels were doing the driving.

Reactions: briandors
#37 ·
Wow.

I agree with those that say GM should market it more. It could really be an image booster for Buick if they advertise it to young professionals who are looking at loaded mainstream luxury cars or smaller luxury sedans.

#40 ·
The Regal shows what the Epsilon platform is capable of and it shows how BAD GMNA got the Malibu.

I remember getting a base Regal when my G8 GT was in the shop in 2011. I was REALLY surprised at how well it drove. It was planted, felt great and was comfortable.

Now, fast forward a few years and the Regal has been updated a little bit its an even better car. The HiPer Strut is the real deal. It takes away a lot of the "FWD fail" and makes it an even better car.

Now, if its better than the ATS? Certainly in some trims. No doubt in my mind. Better than a BMW 328i lease special? Yup, again no doubt in my mind.

Hopefully, GMNA allows Opel to keep the DNA of the Regal the same as they have turned out a great vehicle.

#41 ·
We've had our Regal Turbo for a little over a year now and we love it! I'm glad it is starting to get some traction in sales and with the press. I had my heart set on an ATS before deciding on the Regal. Finally, it was the lower-tech easier to use controls (my wife is not a drag and drop, two finger swipe type of person) and it works better as a "family car".

#46 ·
I've driven a base (2.5) ATS and the Regal GS. Truth be told, I would choose the GS over the base ATS pretty easily. It's hard to grasp how well the Hi-Per strut system eliminates torque steer just because it seems so effortless (the 20 inch wheels help). I also preferred the manual transmission in the GS to the ATS.

Don't get me wrong, RWD still offers a more purposeful experience, but the Regal GS is a hell of a lot of fun.

#47 ·
I think if GM would have came out originally with the Regal that is available now, it's success would not have been years in coming. Lack of AWD, slow to release the GS and with an auto tranny, to name a few of the features that should have been included in it's original release. I wanted to buy one for my wife, the GS was, I thought, a great looking car. However no AWD was a killer for me, automatic was necessary given the driver, so I bought an AWD Lacrosse instead. It all worked out, she loves that car, I just think it we would be "more sporty and less grandmotherly" in a Regal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.