2013 Encore Brings Buick Refinement to Smaller Package

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Encore Brings Buick Refinement to Smaller Package

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

GM
    December 3, 2012

When the 2013 Encore luxury small crossover arrives in early 2013, it will feature the same quiet, comfortable, refined characteristics that define larger Buicks – the result of advanced acoustic technology and attention to detail.

“Our goal in developing Encore was two-fold – to design a vehicle that sets a refinement standard in the segment for customers who are new to Buick, and to deliver a vehicle that current Buick customers interested in downsizing can get in and feel at home,” said Jim Danahy, Encore chief engineer. “Active Noise Cancellation technology is a smart way to maximize luxury, space and efficiency together.”

Encore features Buick’s first use of Bose Active Noise Cancellation. Like the popular headphones used by business travelers on airplanes, this system uses small microphones to gather and analyze sound information that’s then used to project “noise-cancelling” sound waves through the cabin.

Unlike the headphones, which fight noise over a broad spectrum of frequencies, Encore’s system selectively targets unwanted engine noise while allowing pleasant notes to pass through the cabin. The expected result is a luxurious and muted, yet still engaging drive experience.

Buick and Bose engineers worked together to use Encore’s existing in-vehicle speakers, including a subwoofer designed to fit in the center of the vehicle’s spare tire, maximizing space and reducing added weight, which helps save fuel.

Active Noise Cancellation in the Encore is always working, even if the audio system is powered off. It is standard on all Encore models regardless of whether a customer opts for the available $595 Bose audio system.

“Noise Cancellation is just part of a broader refinement strategy for Encore,” said Danahy. “We developed unique urethane spring isolators and hydraulic front ride bushings for handling characteristics that are both sporty and luxurious. We also made aerodynamic changes to smooth the air traveling around the car and quieted specific components like the alternator. Even the tires are Quiet Tuned.”

Encore’s signature QuietTuning features also include:

• Acoustically treated headliner with a tuned gap between it and the high-strength-steel roof panel
    • Sound-absorbing materials in the cabin, under the hood and in the wheel house liners
    • Aero-optimized outside mirrors
    • Acoustic-laminated windshield and thicker, 5mm side window glass
    • Foam baffles that insulate the opening of body structure cavities.

Encore arrives at dealers in early 2013 with a starting price of $24,950, including destination. Its EPA-estimated combined fuel economy of 28 mpg with a standard six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive is the highest of any crossover from a domestic automaker. The EPA estimate equates to $2,100 in fuel costs saved over five years of ownership compared to the average new vehicle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2013 Encore Brings Buick Refinement to Smaller Package

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Its EPA-estimated combined fuel economy of 28 mpg with a standard six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive is the highest of any crossover from a domestic automaker. The EPA estimate equates to $2,100 in fuel costs saved over five years of ownership compared to the average new vehicle.
    But the crossover itself isn't actually a domestic crossover, but an import. Not from a NAFTA country, so the definition is murky, but South Korea.

So the statement above is very misleading. And a pretty gross case, at that. I've seen it in other releases about the Encore, but to see them continue to use it and expand on it is very disappointing.
    Peace,

Autoplaybook

Wouldn't You Really Rather Have A Buick?

Thanks

I reiterate, this seems like one of the most forgettable new products I have seen...not that it's a bad car, I just always forget about it.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

So does the use of active noise cancellation allow GM to use less sound insulation, thus getting the weight of the vehicle down?

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by autoplaybook View Post
    But the crossover itself isn't actually a domestic crossover, but an import. Not from a NAFTA country, so the definition is murky, but South Korea.

So the statement above is very misleading. And a pretty gross case, at that. I've seen it in other releases about the Encore, but to see them continue to use it and expand on it is very disappointing.
    Maybe they're referring to a possible future NAFTA build? It's off Gamma, so in theory they could double-duty the Sonic facillity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    Maybe they're referring to a possible future NAFTA build? It's off Gamma, so in theory they could double-duty the Sonic facillity.
    Maybe, but the Sonic facility (i.e., Orion Township, MI) is already building the Verano, as well as the Sonic sedan and 5-door. The Encore has been announced as a South Korean import to the US. With no new announcement, or indication of an upcoming announcement to change the current crop of info, the PR is still very misleading.
    Peace,

Autoplaybook

Wouldn't You Really Rather Have A Buick?

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

It's not misleading. Look at the brouhaha about the Sonic vs the Encore?Sinucout
    I didn't go to math school, so I'm not going to do the math.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    So does the use of active noise cancellation allow GM to use less sound insulation, thus getting the weight of the vehicle down?
    That's what I'd like to know. Mainly concerning what it could mean for a Regal refresh.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quiet is great, though I too wonder if this means not needing so much heavy sound insulation. And we are also overlooking the one thing that will kill sales the most; the fact that the 1.4L turbo is the only available engine. It simply does not put out enough power for a vehicle this heavy. It barely has enough for the Cruze. GM desperately needs to get the new 1.6L turbo in this vehicle ASAP. With such a vehicle, it's true that people aren't looking to buy something powerful, but they certainly do and will avoid wimpy.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Let's see gm is a domestic automaker, and Buick is their brand. I think it is a correct statement, besides what diff those it make the car is being offered for sale this is a global eco today.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

I still don't like it & think it's a big mistake.
    It's ugly & has a stupid name & hopes it flops big time!!
    The shorter lifespan of this model the better.
    It's not a vehicle that Buick needs now or anytime.
    I'll cringe when I see these POS!!

Bottom line, GM screwed up again!

!!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

Thanks

I'm sure it's a fine little car. But it looks like a potato on wheels.

And it doesn't have to look like a potato. Just look at the Range Rover Evoque - sporty, sharp and selling like hotcakes.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Chevrolet Impala LT

This Cuv is actually starting to grow on me. When I first seen the Encore I thought it was a really unattractive car but now after seeing some videos of the Cuv in the wild, I actually like it. It's not trying to be overly sporty or showy, just elegant. I think I can see it catching on in the market.
    Last edited by Live001; 12-05-2012 at 12:12 PM.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

IMO Buick desperately needs some LED accents and LED tail lights.

This car doesn't even have HID's as an option. That's pathetic.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Sound insulation doesn't weigh very much. ANC reduces the booming at lower engine speeds, so it should save some fuel by allowing taller gearing and lower idle speeds. Hopefully, the turbo is tuned for maximum low end torque, or performance will suffer.

If I weren't spoiled by my roomy Cadillac, I could see myself driving one of these if the ride isn't too firm.
    Last edited by ral1960; 12-05-2012 at 11:21 AM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information