2013 Buick Encore HD Video Review (Driven)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Buick Encore HD Video Review (Driven)

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

2013 Buick Encore HD Video Review (Driven)

2013 Buick Encore HD Video Review
    Buick Encore forums
    2013 Buick Encore HD Video Review
    December 10, 2012
    by Tom Voelk

Let’s get the obvious cliché out of the way immediately; the big news at Buick is a small crossover. Not Honda CR-V small or even VW Tiguan sized. Think smaller. Seriously. The 2013 Encore is the same width as a Kia Soul, two inches higher and six inches longer. It’s one the most diminutive cars Buick has ever offered.

Considering the runaway success of big brother Enclave, Encore is the perfect name for a small follow-up performance (and you have to believe GM made sure the name isn’t owned by Chrysler, who bought AMC years ago). The question is- can Buick do small?

They Already Do

Enclave and LaCrosse are the only classic-sized models in the fleet these days, Regal and Verano sport European dimensions. Encore tips the balance toward the brand’s new compact approach to premium cars. Making Encore smaller than the others might even be a brilliant move to make Buick more appealing to younger shoppers.

Encore isn’t just different for Buick, it’s unique to the American market. The closest cross-shop competitors are MINI Countryman, VW Tiguan, or the upcoming (and more expensive and powerful) BMW X1 or Audi Q3. The Tri Shield folks have positioned their “fun-sized” ute in a slot with no real direct rivals.

Full article and video available at link.
    Last edited by Administrator; 08-14-2013 at 03:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 majicbz07's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

Re: 2013 Buick Encore HD Video Review (Driven)

I really like this can but there are two things that I wish GM would change, one is the power it just needs more and the other might just me nitpicking but its something that I think for being a luxury car was overlooked and that is having a proper center armrest for both the driver and passenger.I think I only see one for the driver but there should be one for the passenger as well especially being a car from Buick.

Walking
    Thanks

The armrest is for the driver only. I was something I mulled over while driving it and quickly came to the conclusion that a passenger armrest would have made it looked crowded. GM did some neat tricks to make the interior look a size larger than it is, one is angling the instrument panel away from the passengers to open it up. The could have made a deep center console / storage area / arm rest unit so both passenger and driver would have a place to ease their elbows but it would have dominated the cabin. This is a small vehicle. If you haven't seen it in person, you'll understand what I mean when you do.

As for power, well, the Buick folks know its not a Grand National. This is what GM had for the Gamma II platform. If Encore is very successful they may have an argument for a unique powerplant. Maybe...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Voelk
    The armrest is for the driver only. I was something I mulled over while driving it and quickly came to the conclusion that a passenger armrest would have made it looked crowded. GM did some neat tricks to make the interior look a size larger than it is, one is angling the instrument panel away from the passengers to open it up. The could have made a deep center console / storage area / arm rest unit so both passenger and driver would have a place to ease their elbows but it would have dominated the cabin. This is a small vehicle. If you haven't seen it in person, you'll understand what I mean when you do.

As for power, well, the Buick folks know its not a Grand National. This is what GM had for the Gamma II platform. If Encore is very successful they may have an argument for a unique powerplant. Maybe...
    nice review. I always appreciate the way you do them. No slant, no bias....just well done

Thanks

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 majicbz07's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Voelk View Post

I agree with you that having a very deep center console would dominate the interior of the car and would probably look out of place, plus the cabin has a nice openess to it without it right now and its nice. I have seen this car in person but only at the auto show and it was roped off. I think its a very nice looking car and would consider it. Its really probably just me nitpicking but I really think they should have included one for the passenger, my family once had a GMC safari with almost no options and this car had no armrests for neither the passenger or the driver and while it wasn't a big deal for the type/price of vehicle it was it was uncomfortable and there were lots of times I wished there was an armrest for both of us as I was both a passenger and driver of this car so I know how it feels. And with this being a Buick going after Lexus it should have one, as I'm sure Lexus wouldnt miss it, but I could be wrong. In terms of power, it doesnt need anything fancy its a small SUV but maybe the GM should put in the 2.4/2.5 or the 220hp 2.0T which I think would be a nice engine in this.

Thanks

Isn't there also a cubby drawer under the front passenger seat? Or is that just in the Opel version.

Also I wonder if the exclusion of the Trax version is more of a plant capacity issue more than anything else. I believe that the Chevy, Opel and Buick versions are all built at the same plant in Korea for all over the world and that plant has some fixed capacity. Buick could probably build a business case for importing 20-30k per year however a Chevrolet version may have required more like double or triple that and the one plant may not have that type of capacity due to its other international capacity obligations. The easy answer is to just add production to another plant (either Orion or Mexico as they already build the Sonic/Aveo) however there is some risk in that considering this is a new segment to this market and that plant would have to met some break even capacity number. Its possible that GM did not think they could do this or the risk was to great.

I am with others I think if the Encore does well we will see the Trax come to this market with a MCE (similarly to the Cruze and Spark).
    I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.
    -Robin Williams

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Great review and video production as usual.

I had to chuckle about the rear seat leg room given the ongoing Malibu discussion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by escheev View Post
    Isn't there also a cubby drawer under the front passenger seat? Or is that just in the Opel version.
    The Encore does have the passenger under-seat drawer, but only on Base/Convenience. Leather/Premium don't have it, presumably because of the power passenger seat on those models.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
    The Encore does have the passenger under-seat drawer, but only on Base/Convenience. Leather/Premium don't have it, presumably because of the power passenger seat on those models.
    Oh I gotcha. Is this really useable space anyway? Can imagine anything very tall will fit there.
    I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.
    -Robin Williams

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS/2014/phantom

I just realized that ride and drive was down by my house. Explains why I saw one with Michigan tags. FYI, Encore looks alright on the country roads.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

considering this to replace the Golf as a commuter car. The Golf seems so cramped and the Encore would provide much more comfortable ride, visibility, cargo. Would look nice sitting next to its big brothers Enclave and Regal GS. So they should be in dealerships in Feb?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

What a stupid car. First off, marketing 101 fail under the hood: why is the engine called "Ecotec" in a Buick when that has been a Chevy thing? Is GM even trying to disguise the platform sharing? Second, despite being silly to look at, cramped inside, and extremely slow, the Encore doesn't get that good a fuel economy. So what's the point?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    11:Silv 11:Cruze 94:Sub 85:442

Quote Originally Posted by JuMPy View Post
    nice review. I always appreciate the way you do them. No slant, no bias....just well doneThanks
    I'll ditto the sentiment. I appreciate when reviews are performed in the spirit for which the product was engineered.
    www.thecomputerarchive.com - Preserving the history of the companies and products that advanced the computer revolution ... www.sharedengrams.com - Random thoughts

Thanks
    My Ride
    1996 Buick Riviera

Very good review, both for the Encore and Tom. I liked being able to see just about everything the Encore had to offer. I am really interested in checking one of these little boogers out.

Present Rides: 1996 Buick Riviera, 176,000 Miles
    Past Rides: 1995 Pontiac Trans Sport 210,000 Miles

Buick, The American Riviera.
    Updated: 9-3-2014

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buick59 View Post
    So they should be in dealerships in Feb?
    That's correct for the U.S.

I'll see if I can confirm for Canada.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information