GM Inside News Forum banner

2013 Buick Encore HD Video Review (Driven)

6K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  epaulo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2013 Buick Encore HD Video Review
Buick Encore forums
2013 Buick Encore HD Video Review
December 10, 2012
by Tom Voelk

Let’s get the obvious cliché out of the way immediately; the big news at Buick is a small crossover. Not Honda CR-V small or even VW Tiguan sized. Think smaller. Seriously. The 2013 Encore is the same width as a Kia Soul, two inches higher and six inches longer. It’s one the most diminutive cars Buick has ever offered.

Considering the runaway success of big brother Enclave, Encore is the perfect name for a small follow-up performance (and you have to believe GM made sure the name isn’t owned by Chrysler, who bought AMC years ago). The question is- can Buick do small?

They Already Do

Enclave and LaCrosse are the only classic-sized models in the fleet these days, Regal and Verano sport European dimensions. Encore tips the balance toward the brand’s new compact approach to premium cars. Making Encore smaller than the others might even be a brilliant move to make Buick more appealing to younger shoppers.

Encore isn’t just different for Buick, it’s unique to the American market. The closest cross-shop competitors are MINI Countryman, VW Tiguan, or the upcoming (and more expensive and powerful) BMW X1 or Audi Q3. The Tri Shield folks have positioned their “fun-sized” ute in a slot with no real direct rivals.

Full article and video available at link.

See less See more
#2 ·
I really like this can but there are two things that I wish GM would change, one is the power it just needs more and the other might just me nitpicking but its something that I think for being a luxury car was overlooked and that is having a proper center armrest for both the driver and passenger.I think I only see one for the driver but there should be one for the passenger as well especially being a car from Buick.

#3 ·
The armrest is for the driver only. I was something I mulled over while driving it and quickly came to the conclusion that a passenger armrest would have made it looked crowded. GM did some neat tricks to make the interior look a size larger than it is, one is angling the instrument panel away from the passengers to open it up. The could have made a deep center console / storage area / arm rest unit so both passenger and driver would have a place to ease their elbows but it would have dominated the cabin. This is a small vehicle. If you haven't seen it in person, you'll understand what I mean when you do.

As for power, well, the Buick folks know its not a Grand National. This is what GM had for the Gamma II platform. If Encore is very successful they may have an argument for a unique powerplant. Maybe...

#5 ·
I agree with you that having a very deep center console would dominate the interior of the car and would probably look out of place, plus the cabin has a nice openess to it without it right now and its nice. I have seen this car in person but only at the auto show and it was roped off. I think its a very nice looking car and would consider it. Its really probably just me nitpicking but I really think they should have included one for the passenger, my family once had a GMC safari with almost no options and this car had no armrests for neither the passenger or the driver and while it wasn't a big deal for the type/price of vehicle it was it was uncomfortable and there were lots of times I wished there was an armrest for both of us as I was both a passenger and driver of this car so I know how it feels. And with this being a Buick going after Lexus it should have one, as I'm sure Lexus wouldnt miss it, but I could be wrong. In terms of power, it doesnt need anything fancy its a small SUV but maybe the GM should put in the 2.4/2.5 or the 220hp 2.0T which I think would be a nice engine in this.

#4 ·
Tom Voelk said:
The armrest is for the driver only. I was something I mulled over while driving it and quickly came to the conclusion that a passenger armrest would have made it looked crowded. GM did some neat tricks to make the interior look a size larger than it is, one is angling the instrument panel away from the passengers to open it up. The could have made a deep center console / storage area / arm rest unit so both passenger and driver would have a place to ease their elbows but it would have dominated the cabin. This is a small vehicle. If you haven't seen it in person, you'll understand what I mean when you do.

As for power, well, the Buick folks know its not a Grand National. This is what GM had for the Gamma II platform. If Encore is very successful they may have an argument for a unique powerplant. Maybe...
nice review. I always appreciate the way you do them. No slant, no bias....just well done

Thanks

#13 ·
nice review. I always appreciate the way you do them. No slant, no bias....just well doneThanks
I'll ditto the sentiment. I appreciate when reviews are performed in the spirit for which the product was engineered.

#6 ·
Isn't there also a cubby drawer under the front passenger seat? Or is that just in the Opel version.

Also I wonder if the exclusion of the Trax version is more of a plant capacity issue more than anything else. I believe that the Chevy, Opel and Buick versions are all built at the same plant in Korea for all over the world and that plant has some fixed capacity. Buick could probably build a business case for importing 20-30k per year however a Chevrolet version may have required more like double or triple that and the one plant may not have that type of capacity due to its other international capacity obligations. The easy answer is to just add production to another plant (either Orion or Mexico as they already build the Sonic/Aveo) however there is some risk in that considering this is a new segment to this market and that plant would have to met some break even capacity number. Its possible that GM did not think they could do this or the risk was to great.

I am with others I think if the Encore does well we will see the Trax come to this market with a MCE (similarly to the Cruze and Spark).

#11 ·
considering this to replace the Golf as a commuter car. The Golf seems so cramped and the Encore would provide much more comfortable ride, visibility, cargo. Would look nice sitting next to its big brothers Enclave and Regal GS. So they should be in dealerships in Feb?

#12 ·
What a stupid car. First off, marketing 101 fail under the hood: why is the engine called "Ecotec" in a Buick when that has been a Chevy thing? Is GM even trying to disguise the platform sharing? Second, despite being silly to look at, cramped inside, and extremely slow, the Encore doesn't get that good a fuel economy. So what's the point?

#14 ·
Very good review, both for the Encore and Tom. I liked being able to see just about everything the Encore had to offer. I am really interested in checking one of these little boogers out.

#17 ·
Buick needs another sale's hit, and fast...I really hope the Encore can be that. But I just don't know.

few things.

-That black plastic around the bumper is horrible...what a joke.

-The vehicle needs more HP, 0-60 in 10 seconds is unacceptable. I'm not saying this thing has be in the 6 or 7 second range but is should atleast be getting somewhere in the 8 second range.

-MPG is ok, but nothing special....Would have been nice to see atleast 35 mpg highway.

-Does seem to have alot to offer in the tech dept. though, hopefully that can be a big selling point for the vehicle.

#22 ·
0-60 in the 10 second range is about what I'm rocking now but I'd expect a little more out of a Buick (although not outright balls-to-the-wall performance specs). Not a deal breaker for me though. Highway mileage is ok for me since the 25/city is where it would live 90% of the time.

Add DI to the 1.4T and/or put in the 1.6T in it to get 0-60 to under 9 for AWD and ~8 for FWD and fiddle with the cargo area packaging such that a foursome of adults with clubs can fit without folding seats. Now you've got an Encore.

#24 · (Edited)
I have read many negative comments from trolls, I mean, bloggers over at Autoblog.com regarding the Encore, however, I think GM may very well be onto something with this new mini crossover. I argue that only a VERY few bloggers really know the market that well. I do not claim to know the market that well, but my feeling is that GM has hit the nail on the head with regards to the Encore's target market. I don't think the Encore will necessarily be a large volume mover, but I think it will at least meet GM's expected sales numbers... I hope!

Regardless, I really like the Encore and may actually consider it next year as a replacement for my Regal. The other potential replacement will be a base Terrain SLE. I will have to weigh Encore's features and possible superior refinement over the Terrain's size and horsepower advantage... among other variables.

#25 ·
After watching this review, this car is starting to grow on me. At first, the car doesn't fit in within the Buick nameplate, because it is too small and too under-powered. Now I can see this fitting in within the Buick brand, although I much rather prefer the Chevrolet Trax. One thing really gets at me: the cheesy faux potholes. I assume that six potholes means six cylinders. But this car only has 4? So why then 6?

#26 ·
Only a couple beefs I have with this vehicle. It's built in Korea. :tdown:: (it should be built at the Orion MI plant) Another thing, why the black plastic "things" under the headlights? (perhaps for easier headlight bulb replacement?...maybe those things pop out for getting the headlight assembly out...who knows?) They look weird, and that's something that might be OK on a darker color, but on the white it's all I can see on the front end. I would be making a trip to the body shop right away and get those painted body color. Also, I think the proportions of the front clip seem a little off. I would much rather see a longer, flatter hood. Would rather see a Verano wagon, than this vehicle. However, let's see how it looks in person, perhaps some of my ideas of it's proportions are only based on the photos and videos. I know that some angles of my Enclave are better than others, so perhaps this is true with the Encore as well. I'm not that impressed with the MPG, but the entire package is acceptable. I just won't be buying one unless it is built in the U.S., which I think...from what I've read, it may be in the future.

#29 ·
That would make for an awesome Encore GS

Black. Painted lower trim in a gun-metal/carbon colour. Black-chrome the bright-work. Lower and stiffen the suspension. With the right amount of power, and handling upgrades, it could make one heck of a fun go-kart.

Encore is hoping to be aimed at the more youthful market, right? This is how you peak their interest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.