People saying they get "special allowances" on their GM cards?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: People saying they get "special allowances" on their GM cards?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

People saying they get "special allowances" on their GM cards?

So my main gripe with the GM card are the "redemption allowances" --- now you have to log in to the GM Card website just to see them, btw.

So if I have 2500 "points" I need to buy a Suburban or something expensive or fuel sucking (usually both) to use them all, but can't use even half of my points on a Malibu Maxx.

But people keep saying here at GMI how their salesman worked some magical deal to allow a higher number of points than the redemption limit usually allows.

Whenever I ask a dealer they always say they can't work around those redemption limits. Even when I sulk and pout (hehe).

Have you dealers seen this happen? Customers? I have the standard GM card with 5% earnings and redemption allowances.
    Last edited by Ming; 03-20-2007 at 01:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: People saying they get "special allowances" on their GM cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61
    I've used my earnings twice, and neither time did they go beyond what I had accumulated. However, there are bonuses available, and that's usually predetermined. On the SRX, they gave me an extra 1,000 points/dollars.
    I didn't mean those "top off" promotions where they temporarily add earnings to your card.

Since my earnings topped 2000 a year ago those offers never help me out since I'm not out to buy a Caddy or a Suburbahoekon or something in the 40K range (generally the only vehicles that allow large redemption limits).

What I have on my card is a hard limit on how much I can redeem. So even if I have 2 grand in earnings I can only use 1000 on a Malibu or something like that. Its different for every car.

The Impala, on the other hand, has a high redemption limit for a GM car, at 2000 (near model year end at least). So I could make use of most, if not all, of my points.
    Last edited by Ming; 03-20-2007 at 01:33 PM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 mini1's Avatar
    Thanks

I got a Sierra Classic GM card discount on a NBS Sierra. I don't whether it was a mistake or what. I was quite happy.
    Current Ride
    -All-New 2007 GMC Sierra SLE RCLB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mini1
    I got a Sierra Classic GM card discount on a NBS Sierra. I don't whether it was a mistake or what. I was quite happy.
    Not sure exactly what that is...?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I'm confused. There are a number of different kind of GM Cards out there. I'm on the old GM Card where I earn 5% a year (up to $500 for seven years...maxing out at $3500). I'm currently at $3200 and will max the earnings out by Labor Day 2007...when I plan on purchasing a GM car. The beautiful thing with the old card is that I can use all of my earnings (up to $3500) on any GM car (minus Saab and Saturn).

What year did you become of a holder of your GM card? About three years (maybe four), GM came out with something called Today's GM Card. They called me, sent me junk mail, emails, you name it to get me to switch to this new and "improved" card. I could tell that they wanted as many people off the old card. The new GM Card from what I understand allows no limit of the amount of $ that you earn each year toward a car...I'm not sure of the % that you get back for each dollar that you spend though. The catch is, is that they have those nasty restrictions on vehicles (ranging from $500 - $3500...depending on the popularity of the vehicle).

I guess I don't see how the dealer can fudge these numbers on the worksheet of the car. GM is really picky on what numbers go where on those worksheets. If you have $1000 earnings and are allowed to use those earnings, I guess I don't see how they could magically just put in $2000. I would think that would come out of the dealer's pocket.

I certainly would like to understand this better...so if someone can enlighten us, please do so.
    My past rides:
    1982 Toyota Celica GT
    1989 Geo Spectrum "The Spec"
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT coupe

JUST RECEIVED ON 9/26/07:
    2008 GMC Acadia SLT-2 AWD
    Silver w/ black leather interior
    Navigation/Backup camera
    DVD Entertainment System
    Dual sunroof
    19" wheels
    HID Headlamps
    Trailering Package
    HID
    Cargo Area Controls

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC sancapguy's Avatar
    Thanks

My brother and I both have GM cards. He received an Additional $1500 + earnings off select 06/07 vehicles. I didnt, so i emailed GM card, They told me that some people receive them and some dont.

When purchased my latest vehicle, the dealer used $1500 in dealer "coupons" in addition to the $3000+ from my GM card. Maybe some people confuse the coupons for the additional card earnings.
    SANCAPGUY
    2009 Chevy Malibu
    2010 Mazda5
    1969 Mercury Monterey

Previous New GM's

2006 Silverado Hybrid
    (Now in Pieces at Kettering "GMI")

2002 Aztek (kiss my)
    2001 Alero
    1996 S-10

Previous
    1988 Alfa Spider
    1976 Buick SkyHawk
    1973 Centurion Convertible
    1986 Corvette (brass hat prototype)
    1984 Cadillac Deville (RWD)
    1983 Fuego
    1978 Honda Accord (rusted in half)

Thanks

I just don't understand why Saab is the only brand excluded from the rewards points.
    I've had a GM card for 10 years now and have been hoping they would add Saab.

A turbo is a terrible thing to waste!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fenwah
    I guess I don't see how the dealer can fudge these numbers on the worksheet of the car. GM is really picky on what numbers go where on those worksheets. If you have $1000 earnings and are allowed to use those earnings, I guess I don't see how they could magically just put in $2000. I would think that would come out of the dealer's pocket.
    From what I've read/heard, you can call up some fantastically nice person at the GM card office - or maybe the dealers have a special "we need to make this deal so help us" number they call, and that person at the GM card office will allow a larger redemption/allow the card owner to use more of his/her points than, say, a Malibu or Colorado might allow.

Or they'll let you "convert" over to another card if you want to use your points on, say, a Saab.

But when I call they say no to boosting my limit on a Malibu Maxx, and say no to converting (even if its 5 to 1) to a GM Family Card.

"Sorry, we don't do that"

So the question I guess is, do the GM Card people bend the rules for dealers trying to make a sale?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

So the question I guess is, do the GM Card people bend the rules for dealers trying to make a sale?
    I highly doubt you will ever get an answer to that. Probably an unwritten rule that no one will/can admit.
    My past rides:
    1982 Toyota Celica GT
    1989 Geo Spectrum "The Spec"
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT coupe

JUST RECEIVED ON 9/26/07:
    2008 GMC Acadia SLT-2 AWD
    Silver w/ black leather interior
    Navigation/Backup camera
    DVD Entertainment System
    Dual sunroof
    19" wheels
    HID Headlamps
    Trailering Package
    HID
    Cargo Area Controls

ZQ8
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ming, when you get a card bonus of say $1000, you get to us that $1000 in addition to the redemption limit of say $1000 on a Malibu Max. For a total of $2000. But only $1000 would come out of your earnings so you would still have $1000 left in your account if you started out with $2000. Piece of cake.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

MING.........GM changed the allowance system a few years back.
    If you kept you old black GM card you could use ALL of your "points"
    toward just about any GM vehicle.
    Now you are only allowed certian amounts toward certain GM vehicles.

From time to time GM Card sends out mailers or e-mail special allowances.

As a GM employee/retiree/family member I am also limited as to how
    much I can apply to certain vehicles.
    What really sucks is I can only earn a lousy 2% instead of 5% with
    GM card usage.........................geo

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ming
    From what I've read/heard, you can call up some fantastically nice person at the GM card office - or maybe the dealers have a special "we need to make this deal so help us" number they call, and that person at the GM card office will allow a larger redemption/allow the card owner to use more of his/her points than, say, a Malibu or Colorado might allow.

Or they'll let you "convert" over to another card if you want to use your points on, say, a Saab.

But when I call they say no to boosting my limit on a Malibu Maxx, and say no to converting (even if its 5 to 1) to a GM Family Card.

"Sorry, we don't do that"

i guess if you have a pic of them with a billy goat it might increase the chance of that happening.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Ming,

Go to GMCard website. In the vehicle preferences section, put what kind of car you want (Malibu Maxx) and put 0-3 months for the purchase timeline. Each time I have done this, within a couple weeks magically a coupon appears in the mail with bonus earnings, double earnings, or some sort of information.

I remember back in 2003 I could have bought a Z71 Silverado Ext cab loaded for $27,500 minus $3500 in GM Card earnings (doubled the limits). The did they same deal summer 2004, but summer 2005 was employee pricing so it wasn't as good. Now if they do it again this summer....

Thanks

Good tip moman! And I've asked before zq8 and they always tell me that the 1000 is only good towards the total allowance. So if I only have 500 in GM card earnings and I get "topped off" to 1000 by some promotion and the Aveo only allows 500, I can still only use 500, the extra 500 is only useful if I want a Malibu, for instance.

ZQ8
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ming all I can say is they told you wrong. I have used the GM Card "Bonus" at least 5 or 6 times and the Bonus amount is always in addition to (ABOVE) the redemption limit for that model. This is a fact.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information