Opinion on Optra LS/LT vs Aveo

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinion on Optra LS/LT vs Aveo

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Talking Opinion on Optra LS/LT vs Aveo

hello
    our ion will soon be returning off lease.
    do to financial circumstances we will not be getting a new car for the replacement.i am also not considering a cobalt or a pursuit due to the same crappy interior fabric as the ion.

what i am considering is an optra LS or aveo LS sedan as a gm optimim used car(2004-2006). i know that daewoo had a lot of problems in the past and am hoping that they
    have been remedied since the gm takeover.

what i would like to know is how are theese cars holding up?many problems seen at the dealership or customers complaining?
    most of the online reviews seem to favor the optra over the aveo and i must say that the optra does look better interior wise.
    on the exterior i can see very little difference between the optra and aveo.
    i know that the optra has a larger 2.0l engine vs the aveo 1.6l.

so what would you opinion be on the optra as a used car.
    i see a lot of them forsale here in nova scotia with 60-80,000kms for ~$5000-$6000.

thanks,jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Opinion on Optra LS/LT vs Aveo

I mean if its your ONLY option, then ya gotta do what you gotta do. I feel sorry for you that these two vehicles (used) are your viable transportation options. Both are small, terrible vehicles that will only satisfy the most basic of transportation needs.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Smile We got an Astra instead

hi all
    on friday we picked up a new 2008 astra xe 5 door.

with all the incentives,plus $1000 loyalty it came to almost $8300 off the list price.

out the door including taxes,financing and hood protector,vent visors and mudflaps was $17,634.00 canadian.

this will be our fourth saturn.

my only hope now is that saturn or gm do not go under and there will be someone around to do the warranty work if needed.

the dealership was busy,both saturn halifax and dartmouth were hauling in astras from other dealers to sell.

a sales person told me that they had sold more astras in the past three weeks than in the previous year.

regards,jeff

Thanks

I hear the astra is avery nice car. and i did not see this earlier but ya wiht incentives and rebates you prolly get a new one is well worth it.
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member
    Thanks

Good move, Astra is certainly better than an Optra. I had an Optra5 and really liked it, but only got to around 30,000 kms before I moved and sold it, so I don't know how it would have held up long term. It certainly weasn't the most refined of cars, but there was something I liked about it. Still, the Astra is much more car, especially since you got a great deal on it! Enjoy, and post pictures!
    All are heartily encouraged to check out and join the Facebook group for my automotive blog: https://www.facebook.com/groups/theautomotiveattic/

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

My "Optra" (Forenza) is holding up well, but the Astra is a very nice ride, good pick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    Good move, Astra is certainly better than an Optra
    I Agree

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Smile Re: Opinion on Optra LS/LT vs Aveo

well after two weeks of ownership all is well.
    after reading the reviews about the quirkiness of the astra i can only say that i only have two very minor non issues.
    i am having a hard job getting used to a hatchback(after having sedans for so long)

and after turning on the rear wiper i cannot get it shut off unless i turn off the ignition(i am going to have to read the manual again)

we have had absolutely no problem with the operation of the cruise control(a big complaint on some forums)

and i bought an fm modulator that takes an usb cord or an sd card to play mp3's,i know this is not as good as the missing aux in ,but it works for me.
    all in all we are pretty pleased with the purchase.

now if only saturn can continue to be around in one form or another.
    this was our 4th saturn(92 sl1,96 sw2,2005 ion2 and the astra).
    regards,jeff

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbg1 View Post
    well after two weeks of ownership all is well.
    after reading the reviews about the quirkiness of the astra i can only say that i only have two very minor non issues.
    i am having a hard job getting used to a hatchback(after having sedans for so long)

and after turning on the rear wiper i cannot get it shut off unless i turn off the ignition(i am going to have to read the manual again)
    I believe to turn off the rear wiper, you push the stalk again, like you do to turn it on. You should hear a "click."
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Talking Re: Opinion on Optra LS/LT vs Aveo

Quote Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
    I believe to turn off the rear wiper, you push the stalk again, like you do to turn it on. You should hear a "click."
    we were parked in the rain when this happened yesterday.
    i got the manual out and started thumbing thru it.
    she asked what i was looking for.
    i said cannot get rear wiper to turn off.

easy,just click the stalk again in the same direction to turn off.

dumb sheepish look on my face

I am so ashamed,my wife had to tell me this.

going to have a hard time living this one down.

whats next,is she going to ask for a new filter and some oil to do a change

regards,jeff

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information