NADA, KBB, Edmunds trade-in values...who to believe?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NADA, KBB, Edmunds trade-in values...who to believe?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

NADA, KBB, Edmunds trade-in values...who to believe?

Does anyone know which of these three guides is the most accurate. There seems to be some variation among them, quite large in some cases.

I am planning to take these values, average them, and show them to the dealer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC corvete001's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: NADA, KBB, Edmunds trade-in values...who to believe?

I have been using the KBB and Edmunds the last few years. In my area the NADA prices have been way off. Before I trade anything or sell any car I always go to a friend of mine who owns a body shop that goes to the auctions and he can tell me what that type of car has sold for over the last few months. This gives me a better idea of the true real time value without the lag time.
    Russ
    2006 Tahoe
    2003 Impala
    1996 Corvette

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Ghrankenstein's Avatar
    Thanks

Corvete's right.

If you're looking for a barometer, lately KBB's been closest. The biggest problems that I encounter are with people checking their vehicle inaccurately (i.e. wrong trim level, wrong engine), and using the "Excellent" condition value.

Trade-ins are generally "Fair," though few owners can stomach the fact that their cars are anything less than "Good."
    NEW RIDE: 2008 Carp Poseidon (for fish-head delivery)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC corvete001's Avatar
    Thanks

The dealer I use most says that they plan on putting tires on every trade and doing a major clean up. They expect to spend about $400 to get the car ready to sell and many times find stuff that is unexpected and that is why they go a little low on a trade. If you have all the records and take the car in after you have it detailed you have a better chance getting top dollar. Just remember that a invoice deal on a new car will bring a lower trade in price many times.
    Russ
    2006 Tahoe
    2003 Impala
    1996 Corvette

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

kbb is probably the closest to being accurate in our neck of the woods, nada is like trying to sell at sticker pricing, its too bad that they don't give a number to call from these services that would purchase your auto at there figures! ha, and for some reason no one ever feels like their auto's are anything but perfect, i wish there were some way to hold consumers liable for any repairs necessary on the trades for 30-60 days.
    Last edited by redlipp; 04-22-2006 at 01:35 PM.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 FourOnTheFloor's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been wondering the same thing, cs1992.

From my experience, kbb is generally more accurate while NADA is often lower and usually closer to the actual selling price. I think Kbb uses a more complex system to determine price than NADA. Someone told me that the different guides are used by certain regions of America. For example, dealers in New England use NADA while dealers in New York State use Kbb.
    FourOnTheFloor

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 06MonteSS's Avatar
    Thanks

when I was getting rid of my Venture to get my new Monte SS, the trade-in values found on any of those sites was too high...

all of the dealers I went to used Galves... needless to say, I ended up selling it outright for about $4K more than they were offering on Galves trade-in value.
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 04-25-2006 at 02:41 PM.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information