GM Inside News Forum banner

Dealer repaint - should they have told me?

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  LetsRace 
#1 ·
Question - I bought my new 2013 ATS last November, shame on me, but I just noticed that the front passenger side quarter panel appears to have been repainted. The reflections in that panel are hazy compared to the other panels (reflections look almost "low definition" vs. "high definition" for what I assume is the factory paint. My question is, assuming it is a dealer repaint, should it have been disclosed to me? Note that this car came from a different dealer and it is possible my car was repainted at the other dealer (meaning I bought the car from dealer A, but they had to get it from dealer B).....

I have to step out of the house for a couple of hours, if anyone has some insights but has questions for me I will respond this evening.

#17 · (Edited)
For an enthusiastic petrolhead not to notice for 10 months, it must be quite a good spray job.
the clear coat may have been substandard or they could have "burned" thru it buffing out the panel that was repainted and in the sun it took some time to show a difference.
I think getting a dealer trade is a way this can happen...dealer A gets rid of the one touched up first before a un repaired one don't ya think? and dealer B doesn't know so it doesn't come up in negotiations.

#9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm pretty embarrassed to say it is not a good paint job, I don't know how I never noticed, now that I saw it, it will drive me nuts. I'll try the dealer to see what they say, my guess is that they will say "how do we know you weren't in an accident" as I bought it last November.

As for being less than satisfied? No way, I love this car. Zero issues other than issues surrounding my sales experience, of which I include this paint issue part of the sales experience.

#14 ·
I've been eyeballing that, right now the intelligent side of my brain is winning when I take into account the massive hit in depreciation I'd take. But the other side of my brain won when I was taking my Malibu with only 78,000 miles in for an oil change and walked out with the ATS. So stay tuned to see which side of my brain wins over the next couple of years :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.