2007 HHR Engine Issues

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 HHR Engine Issues

Thanks

2007 HHR Engine Issues

Hope someone on here can lead me in the right direction. My brother has a 2007 HHR with the 4 cylinder motor. Today the car is back in the shop for the 3rd time for a cylinder failure. First was the # 1, then # 2 and now it's # 3. WTH!!! They say they are instaling a steel sleeve in the cylinder and that fixes it, until the next time. This car has 47,000 miles on it and the motor has been torn down now 3 times. At what point does GM just replace the motor or the car? Isn't there a lemon law on these kinds of things? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
    Houston, TX

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

Re: 2007 HHR Engine Issues

Quote Originally Posted by mw3538 View Post
    Hope someone on here can lead me in the right direction. My brother has a 2007 HHR with the 4 cylinder motor. Today the car is back in the shop for the 3rd time for a cylinder failure. First was the # 1, then # 2 and now it's # 3. WTH!!! They say they are instaling a steel sleeve in the cylinder and that fixes it, until the next time. This car has 47,000 miles on it and the motor has been torn down now 3 times. At what point does GM just replace the motor or the car? Isn't there a lemon law on these kinds of things? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
    Houston, TX
    customer abuse. I have a HHR from 2006, around 55,000 miles on it. Runs as the day I got it out of the shop.

Also, there is few Engines out there that can take the abuse that the Ecotec series can. Just ask folks that drag race Cobalts and Cavaliers.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks

I have net heard of any such motor issues with the Ecotec.

18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    customer abuse. I have a HHR from 2006, around 55,000 miles on it. Runs as the day I got it out of the shop.
    Well if it were me driving the car I would say that is the problem. My brother drives like a 75 year old woman.

Banned
    Thanks

Well if it were me driving the car I would say that is the problem. My brother drives like a 75 year old woman.
    I would grant him at least 60K miles without a single oil change on this car. At least...

Thanks

Well the dealer has the records I am sure to prove that not to be the issue as well. This is not a maintenance issue for sure nor abuse issue. The car is a great car just not sure he got a great motor? Not to mention the car only has 47K on it. Dealer has said they will cover issue till 100K but isn't that starndard now?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea, the 07 came with a 5/100k powertrain warranty. I'd start looking up your lemon laws for your state. If you have had 3 instances with the same problem, you might have a case (YMMV).

Curious if they ever said why the cylinders fails....

18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Sonic RS, 2013 Focus 5dr

Seems like it would have made more sense to drop in a replacement engine by now.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by scout62 View Post
    Seems like it would have made more sense to drop in a replacement engine by now.
    +1 on that, would have probably been cheaper for GM to do that by now and especially when the customer has to keep bringing his/her new car in for service, its just a major inconvenience.
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado
    2000 & 2004 Yamaha R1's

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

How do you make a cylinder fail?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    How do you make a cylinder fail?
    Wish we could figure that out!

So should I try and contact GM or just start the lemon law process?

Banned
    Thanks

Wish we could figure that out!

So should I try and contact GM or just start the lemon law process?
    do not rush to the law without trying to resolve an issue amicably. Its not right. Contact GM customer service first.
    I am really suprised this is happening to your brother. Ecotecs are great engines.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    do not rush to the law without trying to resolve an issue amicably. Its not right. Contact GM customer service first.
    I am really suprised this is happening to your brother. Ecotecs are great engines.
    Agree you seems to be gettign stuff done at the dealer without any hassles for now, but a nasty call form GM customer service after you make yours is not gonna help your situation...tuff one here, I would push form more info from the dealer on whats causing hte failure..

talk to the manager, tell him your concerns and what your thinking of doing see what he has to say. your warranty is up to 100,000 km, for powertrain, so you got time, but I can understand it would be annoying...

and like everyone said it is weird for an ecotec to go, they are bulletproof usually
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

Thanks

Can anyone suggest any thing else I could/should do? Went to get the vehicle today and the service manager gave us no indication as to why this keeps happening! Said that the car is "tagged" in the dealership system and GM's system. OK, and???? I have went online and tried to find where I need to submit my complaint/issue with GM but all I find is a generic form to fill out for ANY & all things. Is there another way? How hard is it going to be to get GM to either replace the motor OR replace the car? Seems like the car will have NO value now if it has been tagged.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 tomcat_cool17's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS

Have you gone to the main HHR forum and searched/asked if anyone has had anything similar?
    "This is supposed to be a free market. If consumers need fuel efficient cars, it's their responsibility to buy efficient cars."
    "God will either lighten your load or strengthen your back."

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information