Getting job as car salesman

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting job as car salesman

Walking
    Thanks

Getting job as car salesman

Hey Guys,
    I'm new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong section.
    I'm currently a sr in high school. I'm not sure whether I'm going to go to college or not... I'm thinking of taking a year off and trying to get a job selling cars to see how I like it. Only thing is, how hard would it be to get a job at a car dealership as a sales person? I've been told by pretty much everyone I know that I'd do great in sales and could sell the london bridge to someone if I wanted. So anyways, does anyone here know how to go about getting a job at a car dealership as a salesman? What's required for the job experience-wise(besides being able to persuade people of course)?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Getting job as car salesman

People Knowledge
    Product Knowledge
    Personality

And the 3 basics

Sell yourself first;
    Sell the product second;
    Sell the payment third;

Then depending on where you live, a license. Here in Ontario it takes up to 90 days to take the course. And now you cannot sell advice on the Show Room Floor until you get your license.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    People Knowledge
    Product Knowledge
    Personality

And the 3 basics

Sell yourself first;
    Sell the product second;
    Sell the payment third;

Then depending on where you live, a license. Here in Ontario it takes up to 90 days to take the course. And now you cannot sell advice on the Show Room Floor until you get your license.
    Thanks for the reply.
    If I got a job at a dealership, I would want to know what I'm selling... so I would definitely know the cars.
    Do car dealerships require previous experience in sales? Because this would be my first job...

doh
    Thanks

I got mine, from being a Farm Machinery Tech, 20 years ago.

I met the Owner a couple of months earlier, outside of the dealership. (He knew people) When I got a chunk of metal in my eye for the second time. I applied for the job.

The Interveiw was light, and what clinched it was him asking "If this doesn't work out, what are your plans?"

I said "School I guess because I cannot go on being a Farm Machinery Tech" (eye thing, still had the patch on) Poof I had the job.

Training for a license 10 years ago here, consisted of a 3 day course at a school. The teacher (so I was told) in the class of 30 students, said "Look around you, 80% of you will not be in the Auto business next year"

Few make it, but it is a great life. Everyday is different, new people, new products, new challenges.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I got mine, from being a Farm Machinery Tech, 20 years ago.

I met the Owner a couple of months earlier, outside of the dealership. (He knew people) When I got a chunk of metal in my eye for the second time. I applied for the job.

The Interveiw was light, and what clinched it was him asking "If this doesn't work out, what are your plans?"

I said "School I guess because I cannot go on being a Farm Machinery Tech" (eye thing, still had the patch on) Poof I had the job.

Training for a license 10 years ago here, consisted of a 3 day course at a school. The teacher (so I was told) in the class of 30 students, said "Look around you, 80% of you will not be in the Auto business next year"

Few make it, but it is a great life. Everyday is different, new people, new products, new challenges.
    Sorry for all the questions, but do dealerships have a problem hiring young people? I'll probably still be 18 when/if I apply for a job. Also, any suggestions on who to talk to at a dealership if I decide to apply?
    Thanks again!

doh
    Thanks

The General MGR is the person to talk to.

the 3 basics apply as well.

Sell yourself first;
    Sell the product second; (you)
    Sell the payment (structure) third;

It is actual hard for a Dealership to find good sales people. We need you as much as you need us. (in a small town anyways) Your Personality will talk worlds to the MGR.

Remeber we read people everyday, for a living. Be yourself, what do you have to lose?

I started at 24. But I have trained people @ age 20+. I like younger, because they are not set in thier ways. You can still mold them. And they soak up product knowledge like a sponge. (I am the Sales MGR now, last step to the Ower)

I have heard of Dealerships at larger centers, that fire the lowest selling salesman each month.

doh
    Thanks

P.S. @ 18

My worst fear would be "I am going to soak many hours into training this person, then they will go off to school to be a Doctor or something.

Act like you love cars, and have always loved cars. Maybe you might someday. Then after 10 or so years they just become transportation.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

know your product.....

If theres one thing I hate--- its knowing more about the cars- than the person selling it.
    In the past- Id ask a simple question I knew the answer to.
    If they gave me some BS answer- thats not who I wanted to talk to me about the car.

If I was a salesman- Id read the manual to the cars on the lot- and learn the basics.
    I hate it when they dont know how to operate item X- or dont know what a button is for.

I found a salesman who knew the product- and was not a let me sell you this RIGHT NOW.. and only these on the lot.
    since my run in with him- my family/close friends have bought from him
    2003 Trailblazer
    2003 Impala
    2006 Silverado
    2007 Impala
    2008 Tahoe
    2008 Lucerne
    2010 Traverse
    2010 Silverado

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Depending on where you live, you may have better luck with an "auto superstore" like CarMax. They are always looking for people, and it will give you experience selling. Plus, the volumes at those places are HUGE.

Mike F

Thanks

Do you like working long hours and weekends?

Do you really think you'd want to spend the rest of your life doing something like selling cars?

Go to school. College should not even be a question anymore (unless one is considering the military). And no, I'm not knocking salesmen.
    Current: '08 G8 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS
    Past: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z

www.fquick.com/demonspeed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbarrios View Post
    know your product.....

If theres one thing I hate--- its knowing more about the cars- than the person selling it.
    In the past- Id ask a simple question I knew the answer to.
    If they gave me some BS answer- thats not who I wanted to talk to me about the car.

If I was a salesman- Id read the manual to the cars on the lot- and learn the basics.
    I hate it when they dont know how to operate item X- or dont know what a button is for.

I found a salesman who knew the product- and was not a let me sell you this RIGHT NOW.. and only these on the lot.
    since my run in with him- my family/close friends have bought from him
    2003 Trailblazer
    2003 Impala
    2006 Silverado
    2007 Impala
    2008 Tahoe
    2008 Lucerne
    2010 Traverse
    2010 Silverado
    The salesman whom I took a G8 GT test drive with informed me that the car had the "Corvette LT1" engine.
    2013 Chevrolet Black Diamond Avalanche 6k | 1989 Cadillac Brougham 145k

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1
    Hyundai has a knack for designing cars that look like they've already been in an accident.
    Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 espo19047's Avatar
    Thanks

If you sell cars you and have any talent you probably have one of the most secure jobs in the dealership. So you want to sell cars?

The salesman works a couple of twelve hour shifts a week and every Saturday and if he does not sell enough cars he owes the dealership money.

The Salesman takes on all jobs in the dealership that have come available since they cut back and fired everyone who drew a salary all for free.

The Salesman gets blamed for not setting up the back end when the business manager does not sell anything.

The Salesman travels to the customers house or place of business to get the signature someone forgot.

The Salesman drives to a dealer 50 miles away for a dealer trade.

The Salesman does not get paid until everyone else does.

The Salesman learns most of the policies of a dealership after the fact.
    The Salesman is the face of the dealership and the manufacturer. A manufacturer spends millions of dollars on ad campaigns. The dealership spends thousands of dollars on local ads in the newspaper and online. The Salesman is the first impression the customer encounters. Why are salesman untrained? The typical training at a dealership is handing them a bunch of brochures and have them try to remember the horse power and torque ratings of every car. Thrown to the wolves! It is what happened to the manager that is trying to train them. They can hire a company to teach salesman how to act like a baby boomer to sell to generation X.

To top things off the salesman is 100% commission and is asked to work 12 hour shifts and their duties are expanded to do everything the salaried workers used to do before they were laid off to save money? When all is said and done the salesman survives all and is the last one standing. Like a cockroach after a nuclear war.

By the way I would not trade my job!
    Last edited by espo19047; 05-15-2010 at 08:09 AM.
    Visit the Biggest Showroom on Planet Earth:
    http://www.reedmantoll.com/index.htm

Visit me: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3ttrj/s...rgerchevrolet/

See a one minute tour of Reedman-Toll:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l8BVMygDZ8

Thanks

I've found most dlrshps like to have their sales staff be around 23 or so. Mostly due to insurance regulations. Just put on a good suit, keep a great attitude and go impress a General Sales Manager at a store somewhere. Good luck!!

Walking
    Thanks

Wow lot's of replies!
    Alright... @doh... thanks for all the information! It definitely helps a lot and if I decide to apply for a job I'll definitely take your advice.

@rbarrios... I understand where you're coming from... it annoys me too if a sales person doesn't know anything about the product their selling. I'm the type of person who needs to know everything about the product I'm selling... so if I got a job as a salesman I would spend a lot of time getting to know everything about the cars before I start trying to sell.

@freema22... thanks for the info. But unfortunately the closest CarMax to me is in another state 60 miles away. Thanks anyways though!

@demonspeed... to answer your questions 1. Do I like working long hours and weekends? I'm not crazy about it, but I'm willing to give it a try.
    2. Do you really think you'd want to spend the rest of your life doing something like selling cars? I really don't know... I've never tried selling cars before. That's why I'm thinking about trying it for a year or two to see how I like it... if I don't I can go to college. Right now I'm not even sure if I'm going to apply for a job selling cars... I'm still thinking about what I really want to do.

@epso19047... Those are some of the things that are making me question whether I want to be a car salesman or not. Thanks for the information... it definitely helps to know what I'd be getting myself into before/if I start.

@johnnyl321... thanks for the tips... if I decide to apply for a job I'll definitely do what you said!

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by espo19047 View Post
    If you sell cars you and have any talent you probably have one of the most secure jobs in the dealership. So you want to sell cars?

The salesman works a couple of twelve hour shifts a week and every Saturday and if he does not sell enough cars he owes the dealership money.

The Salesman takes on all jobs in the dealership that have come available since they cut back and fired everyone who drew a salary all for free.

The Salesman gets blamed for not setting up the back end when the business manager does not sell anything.

The Salesman travels to the customers house or place of business to get the signature someone forgot.

The Salesman drives to a dealer 50 miles away for a dealer trade.

The Salesman does not get paid until everyone else does.

The Salesman learns most of the policies of a dealership after the fact.
    The Salesman is the face of the dealership and the manufacturer. A manufacturer spends millions of dollars on ad campaigns. The dealership spends thousands of dollars on local ads in the newspaper and online. The Salesman is the first impression the customer encounters. Why are salesman untrained? The typical training at a dealership is handing them a bunch of brochures and have them try to remember the horse power and torque ratings of every car. Thrown to the wolves! It is what happened to the manager that is trying to train them. They can hire a company to teach salesman how to act like a baby boomer to sell to generation X.

To top things off the salesman is 100% commission and is asked to work 12 hour shifts and their duties are expanded to do everything the salaried workers used to do before they were laid off to save money? When all is said and done the salesman survives all and is the last one standing. Like a cockroach after a nuclear war.

By the way I would not trade my job!
    I've been doing this for 20 years myself. Everything you stated is the absolute truth. All said and done though, I'd still rather hit the Lotto and retire tomorrow. Altho I would take care of my dealership though. I'd buy a couple of new Buicks and GMCs and a Camaro before I went on my worldwide cruise!!!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information