Frame beaming?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frame beaming?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

Frame beaming?

I have a customer that says his local dealership has told him his 2010 Silverado regular cab has "Frame Beaming"? What is that I have not heard of this before most of what I read on the internet is for older models extended and crew could it be frame beaming on a 2010 1500 regular cab 4wd?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Frame beaming?

It was not too common on regular cab's. Haven't seen it on any 2010's but, could be.
    Have him put about 300-500 pounds in the bed near the rear of the vehicle. If the vibration is reduced or eliminated, it could be fram beaming.

Thanks

ot up on my frame beaming techno, but its my understanding its a mild hopping fro mthe rear at certain speeds....

as opposed this, maybeees you hav an out of round rim or tire...... this will give you similar vib and hopping... beaming or whtever ya wanna call it is not to common nowadays. cept maybe on Tundras, but that is more like break dancing what their beds do... lol
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

The customer stated that there had been an alignment performed on the truck. We do see flat spots every once in a while but that should have been handled already.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linton23 View Post
    The customer stated that there had been an alignment performed on the truck. We do see flat spots every once in a while but that should have been handled already.
    no a flat spot, that will be easy to notice, that will give you a solid thunk every time it hits it, check for out of round tire/rim, that will gie you hop maybe its egg shaped...

alignment wont do much either, more for pulling and wandering...

Im just coming from a couple of cobalts and a 3500 lifted one I built and sold, his rims 2 of them were out of round we ****ing chased that problem for a good 4 months before someone checked it... new set of wheels later and hes golden.
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

Thanks

If you are seeing flat spots on the tires, you must get that fixed prior to anymore diagnosis. Can't blame it on frame beaming until you exhaust all the normal stuff.

At what speed is he feeling this?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    If you are seeing flat spots on the tires, you must get that fixed prior to anymore diagnosis. Can't blame it on frame beaming until you exhaust all the normal stuff.

30 to 40 mph is what he is telling me. He is supposed to have had them checked at the other dealer for flat spots. He just dose not want to make a 3 hour drive back up to us which I understand if its flat spots on the tires.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post

Exactly.

From suspension - and or powertrain.

Depending on... sigh too much to list, you have to first eliminate all possible anomalies that can mess with all the inputs to the frame ( and yes on some alignment does matter ) ie eliminate primary (axle) suspension resonance 'triggers' - to name just one.

RFV, internal tire problems etc etc etc slightly bent suspension pieces etc etc cheap massively unbalanced discs and drums - you name it - it can help 'make it happen'.

Some product is more sensitive to expressing this ie a problem elsewhere can be felt more readily - even amplified if you will. Sometimes it depends where and how you are 'sitting' or measuring from .....

I can't remember now but I believe certain frequency & amplitude combination's in terms of rolling or cylindrical motion ( loosely described ) - gives more exact detail of an external 'trigger'.

You can speaking generically , sometimes get these bizarre & gawdforsaken combinations as well.

There really isn't anywhere near enough info on this one to say much that is useful.

Including no useful description of when and how it occurs as opposed to when it doesn't.

Prior service and use history - things like - 'did' someone just drop a driveshaft down for some reason etc etc.

Varying road surface testing & speeds etc etc really matters on all this in a practical sense.

Backlash said it right as an adjutant quick and dirty -

It was not too common on regular cab's. Haven't seen it on any 2010's but, could be.

Have him put about 300-500 pounds in the bed near the rear of the vehicle. If the vibration is reduced or eliminated, it could be fram beaming.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 09-28-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks

I have a customer that says his local dealership has told him his 2010 Silverado regular cab has "Frame Beaming"? What is that I have not heard of this before most of what I read on the internet is for older models extended and crew could it be frame beaming on a 2010 1500 regular cab 4wd?
    GM Campaign #PIT3009J: Suspension Vibration Or Frame Beaming At 40-60 MPH (64-80KM/H) - keywords front rear shake shock spring tire - (Sept 18,2008)""

Condition/Concern:

Beam shake vibration is usually felt and occurring at speeds between 40-50 mph (64-80 km/h). Hertz readings using an EVA tool are normally bewtween 8-24 HZ. This condition is most common on extended cab and crew cab models but has also been noted in other models.

Recommendation/Instructions:

The severity of the beam shake may vary from vehicle to vehicle. To determine if the concern is beam shake, please perform the following:

1. Test drive vehicle to confirm the condition. A beam shake condition will usually respond to concrete type pavements more than asphalt, so the vehicle should be driven over both surfaces if possible.

2. Place 200-500 pounds in the pickup bed between the closed tailgate and the wheel wells. A beaming condition should dissipate.

-----------

If the concern is determined to be beam shake, this a characteristic of the vehicle. GM Engineering has released updated body mounts to reduce this concern for the Crew and Extended Cab Models. There will be no changes made to the Regular Cab Models.

FOR CREW AND EXTENDED CAB MODELS, REPLACE THE REAR CAB MOUNTS WITH UPDATED PARTS LISTED BELOW. THESE PARTS SHOULD NOT BE USED ON REGULAR CAB MODELS.

New upper and lower mounts should be installed at the left and right rear cab position. The new LOWER mount is a two-piece design, meaning there is a rubber mount with a metal washer. Some models may use a one piece lower mount, meaning the rubber mount has a metal washer molded into it. If the vehicle has the one-piece lower mount design, washers (PN 15854745, Qty 2) will be needed to be used with the new lower mount.

Upper Mount 25791031 Qty 2

Lower Mount 25791032 Qty 2

Washer 15854745 Qty 2 (if needed)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and ccomplete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=272124

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Posted over there and or dated 1x Sept 2008 ???

I notice this copy doesn't have any year application data etc - didn't Shaddams or somebody do all this more than once - years ago ?

Is there something that covers a 2010 ?

Or are F series sales - perhaps in the 250HDs on up, slowing down somewhere ?????
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 09-29-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information